Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
adel97

back painted glass backsplash, anyone?

adel97
13 years ago

We haven't started demolition yet but I'm planning a contemporary-to-modern redo: contemporary cordovan cherry shaker cabinets (1/8 inch offset recess panel as opposed to the traditional 1/4 inch); quartz countertop in a solid-y color; hardwood floor.

I'm toying with the idea of back painted glass as a backsplash (not glass tiles but a templated glass pane). Does anyone here have such a thing or have experience with it?

Thanks for any input!

Comments (17)

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    13 years ago

Don't have one but I did just order a glass tile mural from Designer glass Mosiacs that has a bunch of pictures of them. Haven't received it yet so can't speak to what it looks like, but the website pics look beautiful.

• susyk
    13 years ago

I am about to finish my very modern kitchen and that's the backsplah I am putting in. It is being made as we speak since final measurements couldn't be made until granite was installed. I am very excited about it and will post pics as soon as they're installed. I color matched some of my cabinets.
    It is a very clean amd modern look (which is what we were after) as well as easy maintanance
    Good luck!

• adel97
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks! susyk, I'm looking forward to your pics and to hear your experience with install.

• still_lynnski
    13 years ago

Here's a great discussion thread with some technical info:

Here is a link that might be useful: glass backsplash discussion

• clg7067
    13 years ago

I'd love glass, but I've been looking at plexiglass. Not as durable to be sure, but it comes in more colors than you thing, is available opaque or transluscent, and easy for a cheapo DIYer like me. ;)

• benjayva
    13 years ago

We just had glass tile backsplash installed. Its not back painted tho. We actually chose our colors and the style and had it made by "Mixed-up Mosaics. They send a template for you to approve and then make it per exact measurements. It comes in small sections that are taped together on the front and then installed before removing the tape. They have hundreds of colors and combos. Not cheap but very contemporary and one of a kind if you have odd colors like us. We have red hollywood granite so matched up the backsplash with some red, muted black and gun metal grey.
    check out their website..

• fly964
    13 years ago

thanks for posting this subject. I am thinking also the painted glass backsplash to create very clean look. I first looked for glass tiles but most of them come in small sizes and I don't like busy mosaic which I would get very tired of over time. After seeing the website, http://americanframeless.com/architectural/counter-sink-01.html, just this Saturday I went to this place to learn more about it. They have been doing this for about 8 years and their customers are happy. It would only take about two weeks to get glass painted with any color I like and the glass comes in different texture. They will definitely look clean and modern look. I saw different samples but what I liked best was ribbed painted glass. My cabinet will be installed next week and then granite, so after that I would decide on what color for my backsplash. I will certaily post my final kitchen when it's done.

• txpepper
    13 years ago

I'm planning a solid glass backsplash. I'm going with a frosted/acid etched back instead of painted. I decide on this version because I was worried I would get tired of the color. And I'm using Starfire glass which is about a 'clear' as you can get for glass so it doesn't have the greenish tint to it.

The wall behind the glass will be painted my standard wall color selection. And based on what I've seen about installation, I'm going to try an install that will allow the glass to be easier to remove should I decide to repaint.

Pepper
    ~ That's my plan and I'm stickin' to it.

• txpepper
    13 years ago

Sorry! I misspelled the glass name: Starphire.

Pepper
    ~ Still stickin' to my plan. :D

• fly964
    13 years ago

Hi, Pepper. It's great that you are sticking to your idea and may have already figured this out. But the trip my hubby and I made to the Glass shop revealed that painted glass as opposed to painted wall would be safer in terms of the glue changing colors over time....

• txpepper
    13 years ago

Fly....

The glass is not glued onto the wall. It's held in place by nailed-on quarter-round (or something similar) at the top and then a bead of clear silicone is used at the countertop edge.

Below is a link that I found online that demo's what I'm talking about. I have another demo bookmarked but I'm using my traveling computer right now and it does not have all the same at-home bookmarks.

One thing that I didn't mention earlier, I will have a stainless steel panel behind my cooktop-venthood that will visually breakup the backsplash and hopefully create a focal point. If everything goes according to plan, the SSteel panel will be finished in the same manner as the SSteel of the venthood.

Pepper

Plus there was this GW thread that might prove interesting for you: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg072124473194.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Not-glued glass backsplash installation

• adel97
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Pepper, thanks for the information. I love the idea of glass BS over a painted wall, and being able to repaint and reuse the glass!

I am going to wait until cabinets and countertop are in before making my final decision but in the meantime I need to find a shop that does the non-glued installation in the Boston area...

• dapitou
    13 years ago

I have glass backsplash in both our previous and current homes. Overall, we are happy with it. A few suggestions:

1. There are many way to make colorful glass. If I remember correctly, "back painted" is the most economical way but the downside is the paint can peel over time. (Not too sure about this as the research was done years ago. Sorry.)
    2. I was told that inner corners cannot be cut a sharp 90-degree. So if the height below the upper cab. is 18", below the MW is 24" and below the rangehood is 30", you'll be using many pieces of glass instead of 1 big piece. That means you'll have seams, and you will see them. They are much noticeable than granite seams.
    3. Don't forget the cutouts for outlets. They are not good for the look and for your wallet.

Due to 2 and 3, we only have glass backsplash between cooktop and rangehood in our current home. It's just a rectangle piece, no cutouts, much cheaper.

• cook4real
    13 years ago

I have back painted glass in my kitchen and I could not be happier. How I ended up with the glass is a long story. back in '93 i had mirrored back splashes installed because the kitchen was so dark and I wanted to bounce around what ever light there was. loved them. in an effort to update my kitchen myself (painted cabinets, put in butcher block counter tops refinished myself etc) i was very perplexed as to how to update the backsplash. making an even longer story somewhat shorter I removed the mirrors (somehow they all came off in one piece) stripped them down (took a week) and painted them and reglued them. now i know no one is that insane but i seriously do not know why more people don't do this with clear glass. it is gorgeous! no one can believe how they look. and to clean them is a dream. As mentioned above cutting the holes for electric is exspensive. I think my guy said $35 per hole. And above the range would be an extra piece of glass but your hood would cover that seam or what if you put a seam on either side of cooktop and run the glass up higher there? any way good luck. if you decide to go this route you will love it. and as far as getting tired of the color its no different than picking tiles you can easily tire of. just saying.

• fly964
    13 years ago

This is so great and through this posting by sharonite I have learned so much. Now I am thinking if I should have a large piece install over my sleek induction cooktop before installing a canopy hood ? Because that area of 39 " wide and 59" tall is completely flat and open without the hood. I was thinking of waiting for everything is installed (cabinets, appliances and granite counter tops) before deciding on the paint color of glass backsplash. Any suggestion pls?

• dapitou
    13 years ago

fly964, from what the glass company told me, the glass should be the last piece on! The reason is similar to why cab. should be up before the granite can be fabricated. Besides, I think you'll damage the glass when installing the hood if the hood goes after the backsplash.

• lina_2006
    13 years ago

Sharonite,

I posted a similiar question last month and got no replies, so here is my research so far.
    Check out mindstorm's kitchen in the FKB. (S)he used glasskoteusa.com. I called one of their reps here locally and he quoted me around $250 a sq ft, which is not what I want to spend.
    Another local company redirected me to sodaglassusa.com. I have a few samples from them. They can color match any Ben Moore/Kelly Moore colors.
    The back of the glass is coated like a mirror so that the color is under it, and as far as the guy who came out to measure said, they should be able to make me a single piece on my cooktop wall (24" high) with notches for the lower backsplash (18" high) on either side of the cooktop.
    They also charge $45 for making the outlet covers, you can see some on their website. As far as I know, it will be glued/siliconed on, no visible fasteners on the surface.