Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
huango

crosspost: help choose my chandelier and sconces

huango
11 years ago

Hola,

I really need your help with choosing the chandelier (for over my peninsula) and 4 sconces to go between the 5 windows.

I am torn between 2 styles:

- schoolhouse (which goes with my large brick fireplace and wooden beams and wainscoting),

but I also like a little blingy (without being too contemporary).

I feel like the lighting choice will determine what the "look" of the kitchen will be. All my other choices so far have been ?neutral?

Thank you so very much for all your help.

I couldn't have done any of this w/out GW!!!

Amanda

My layout (darker base cabinets)

sample inspiration kitchens:

- Aokat's GORGEOUS!!!: notice her sconces between her sink windows

{{!gwi}}

Comments (12)

• deedles
    11 years ago

Can I ask: How high is your ceiling? How far above the peninsula do you want your light?

• herbflavor
    11 years ago

either the rounded drum shade or sparkly chandelier....either of 3 sconceswith round glass[2 on the left and the 2nd one in the bottom row]..prefer the 2nd from left on bottom row-with the metal cutouts around base of glass.

• huango
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Deedles: good question:
    ceiling height = 91" (due to radiant floor heating and 3/4" wood floor)

I am not fond of having pendant lighting in my face, so I am planning for the semi-flust mount to be hanging about ~18" MAX from the ceiling.

Being that it's a kitchen, in addition to the height limitation, I also don't want fabric shades nor clear glass lighting.
    I just know I won't be cleaning off the dust/etc on the clear glass. I know Restoration Hardware has some beautiful chandeliers, but I cannot have clear glass in my kitchen/home.

2 more limitations:
    - The ?mullion?/space between the windows are 7" wide, so most of the backings of the sconces I chose are ~4-6.5" wide.

Lastly, budget limitation. I want be under $100 per sconce (since I need 4) + chandelier. Max budget = $1000 for all 5 lighting pieces.

I tend to like the angular sconces, with the rectangle backings (vs. round or oval). Same for the shades: I like them rectangular or tubular, instead of vase-shape.

Would you suggest other style(s) for my kitchen?

I updated sconce pix w/ numbers (easier to say "I like sconce number 5").

Here are a few more to choose from (labeled w/ Manufacturer: helps me find them again later)

Herbflavor: ahhh, you like the blingy too!
    W/ the new additional sconces, do you still prefer sconce #5? With which chandelier?

thank you very much for your input,
    Amanda

• herbflavor
    11 years ago

Drum shade with 1,4,5 or Hinkley meridian...Sparkly gem chandelier with 5, Kichler hendrick,both Hinkleys and Quoizel.

• michoumonster
    11 years ago

the fatter sconces might look cramped between the windows.
    my vote would be the hinkley midtown. if you want more bling, the quoizel downtown would be nice too! i think either would go nicely with the drum shade.

• huango
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hmmm...how about a combination of both drum shape and crystals???

I really like my chandelier #1 but it's a little too short (modifying it w/ rope could be a hassle).

So how about this chandelier instead?
    Which sconce would you choose to go with this chandelier?

Too blingy?

I like this chandelier because:
    - I can adjust the height
    - It's metal shade with crystals and an inner ?PVC/plastic inner shade (all I care is that it is not fabric)
    - great affordable price
    - great reviews

dimensions: 16 inches wide x 20 inches high
    {{!gwi}}

Sconce#1:
    dimensions: 5"Wx8"H

Sconce#2:
    4.5"Wx3.3"Dx17"H
    {{!gwi}}

Herbflavor: how about combining the 2 chandeliers to get this new one?

michoumonster: great point about the fatter sconces.
    but would the 2nd sconce I just posted above TOO narrow?

I love beekeeperswife's EX kitchen drum/crystals chandelier over her breakfast table (can't find the pix/link right now).

really appreciate your thoughts,
    thank you,
    Amanda

• herbflavor
    11 years ago

the sconces with the newer chandelier: number 1 ....or Dolan or Minka single. do you have the top and chairs chosen for the seating area? do something like seat covers on chairs/stools in an animal print or a big bold black and white check. A dramatic top to the peninsula-not necessarily expensive-a bolder piece of something-reddish stained wood....or corian/silestone in a bold color[red]-fun!

• huango
    Original Author
    11 years ago

herbflavor: "in an animal print"
    You are too funny! Were you reading my mind?

But DH wasn't very receptive to this new chandelier. He says it looks like a disco ball.
    I may have to go back to chandelier#1 (top) and add another ball to add some height.

A friend's comment: Keep it simple.

Going to an electrical designer next week to see if she can help me w/ this PROBLEM (fun, may it be).

No, I haven't even thought of stools yet! What do you suggest?

But I do have the 2 1/4" thick butcher block for peninsula top. Planning to finish it in a warm med-dark stain.

I really wanted a nice conversational piece for my chandelier and sconces, since my kitchen will be pretty neutral. Due to lack of countertop space, etc in previous kitchen, I'm planning to leave most of my new marble countertop CLEAR!!! So I don't even know what accessories I would use to add color to the kitchen, so I was hoping that the chandelier may be my answer.

Thank you!
    Amanda

• herbflavor
    11 years ago

wait and see what your lighting pro devises for you.they may take the drum and get an entirely different drop method for you. Details will make the difference on that shade....No the space is not overly done up. It is big enough that you can take liberty with infusions of different elements. I must say the windows in the keeping room now pale by comparison to the window wall in the kitchen. I think I'd be looking through the Robert Allen fabric books on line-getting some ideas-panels right to the baseboard on good looking rods with some hold backs...to kind of fill in the "small" feel of the wall. Something there can tie in with stool or seat covers. Do you have a budget for the seats....do you have some furnishings for the side room? I'd take it transitional-it appears very traditional right now-you can move along from that easily and open up the range of things to add in. So nice,what you've done-I don't remember your planning discussions but you're going to enjoy this space a lot.

• michoumonster
    11 years ago

if you want to dress up any of your other chandelier choices, i know you can buy new decorative pieces. a lot of lighting stores sell them. also on etsy.
    you just need to make sure the screw size is the same, etc.. it is nice too since you can remove them if you change the look.

Here is a link that might be useful: decorative lighting add-ons

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

Do you know I have the blingy semi-flush mount one in my bathroom? It is a show stopper. I vote for that one. It is also available as a chandy that you would be able to fully control where it hangs.

Here's a photo so you can see it "in real life". The bathroom has 8' ceilings.