Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Loving my affordable island countertop!

Posted by aktillery (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 12, 12 at 12:06

We are currently renting and its a wide open space. We had next to no storage or counterspace.

My handy boyfriend built this island and countertop in a few days. The counter is plywood which is stained and I added some dents and marks for character. He used the iron on wood strip around the edges. I am quite impressed. When he told me he was using plywood I nearly died...but he was right. It really looks great.

I just wanted to share. :)

Amy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
oving my affordable island countertop!

View from edge

o
RE: Loving my affordable island countertop!

whoa. Add that to your tricks for staging! Can you imagine the possibilities?

o

Ok, you know the rules. Details! Paint color on island, stain on the plywood. You know somebody is gonna want to know!

Looks great! Better than any temporary island I've ever seen.

o
Upright this time!

So the details:

1. Stock oak cabs from Home Depot
2. Oak plywood with oak trim that you iron on.
3. beadboard wrap and boards for the details.
4. Stain color walnut
5. Paint color: Behr Graywood
6. Four counter height stools from overstock. Only cost 270.00 for all four!

o

Very clever! This is an excellent example of utility plywood from Big Box vs. nice plywood from actual lumber store. Looks great!

o

Impressive. I say a keeper! Now is that the island or the boyfriend! I say both!
Nice job!

o
Another View

Just needs another coat and some hardware.

Thanks for the kind words!

o

Nicest use of plywood I've ever seen.
Far prettier than some of the islands, too.
He deserves a big fat ... kiss! ;)

Lovely.

o

Really nice! Makes me wonder if you sealed the snot out of it on both side, if it would be able to have an undermount sink in it or if it would fall to pieces?

Anyway, good job boyfriend! Love a handy man!

o

I did seal it super well. I do not think I would ever do an undermount sink as it probably would fall to pieces. Works well as an island top though!

I have been singing his praises and of course gave him a huge hug and kiss!

Thanks for the sweet compliments! I will be sure and read these to him.

o

Wow! That looks fantastic.

o

Holy cow! That looks amaaaaaaazing! Pardon me for asking, but I would be interested in knowing the total dollar amount it took to put this together, if you don't mind sharing. I'm impressed!

o

I was expecting IKEA or a salvaged something, but never would have guessed plywood! That looks great and you got so much function and enjoyment of your room added with one small thing. It makes sense -- they do sell furniture grade plywood that looks really clear and nice, but how many people would think to add the side wrap and make a countertop out of it? I like the paint and beadboard detail on the island too. Nice job. He deserves another hug.

o
Thanks!

I would say the total cost of the island was around 500ish. I did not buy everything but the biggest expense was the three cabinets we bought at home depot. The rest of was very innexpensive.

Thanks so much for all of your compliments!!!

o
better close up

Here is a better close up of the dents and scratches I made. I could not handle it looking so smooth. I used a darker stain marker to fill in the dents I made.

o

Too funny! Love it with dents and all!

o

Your BF is a talented guy. You're a talented finisher! Well, makes sense with your staging eye that you could give it the fit finishing touches. Look at all that storage.

o

That really looks great... ditto the comments about keeping the boyfriend!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here