Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amykath

Loving my affordable island countertop!

amykath
11 years ago

We are currently renting and its a wide open space. We had next to no storage or counterspace.

My handy boyfriend built this island and countertop in a few days. The counter is plywood which is stained and I added some dents and marks for character. He used the iron on wood strip around the edges. I am quite impressed. When he told me he was using plywood I nearly died...but he was right. It really looks great.

I just wanted to share. :)

Amy

Comments (18)

• amykath
    Original Author
    11 years ago

View from edge

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

whoa. Add that to your tricks for staging! Can you imagine the possibilities?

• angel411
    11 years ago

Ok, you know the rules. Details! Paint color on island, stain on the plywood. You know somebody is gonna want to know!

Looks great! Better than any temporary island I've ever seen.

• amykath
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So the details:

1. Stock oak cabs from Home Depot
    2. Oak plywood with oak trim that you iron on.
    3. beadboard wrap and boards for the details.
    4. Stain color walnut
    5. Paint color: Behr Graywood
    6. Four counter height stools from overstock. Only cost 270.00 for all four!

• suzanne_sl
    11 years ago

Very clever! This is an excellent example of utility plywood from Big Box vs. nice plywood from actual lumber store. Looks great!

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Impressive. I say a keeper! Now is that the island or the boyfriend! I say both!
    Nice job!

• amykath
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just needs another coat and some hardware.

Thanks for the kind words!

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

Nicest use of plywood I've ever seen.
    Far prettier than some of the islands, too.
    He deserves a big fat ... kiss! ;)

Lovely.

• deedles
    11 years ago

Really nice! Makes me wonder if you sealed the snot out of it on both side, if it would be able to have an undermount sink in it or if it would fall to pieces?

Anyway, good job boyfriend! Love a handy man!

• amykath
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I did seal it super well. I do not think I would ever do an undermount sink as it probably would fall to pieces. Works well as an island top though!

I have been singing his praises and of course gave him a huge hug and kiss!

Thanks for the sweet compliments! I will be sure and read these to him.

• momo7
    11 years ago

Wow! That looks fantastic.

• function_first
    11 years ago

Holy cow! That looks amaaaaaaazing! Pardon me for asking, but I would be interested in knowing the total dollar amount it took to put this together, if you don't mind sharing. I'm impressed!

• lascatx
    11 years ago

I was expecting IKEA or a salvaged something, but never would have guessed plywood! That looks great and you got so much function and enjoyment of your room added with one small thing. It makes sense -- they do sell furniture grade plywood that looks really clear and nice, but how many people would think to add the side wrap and make a countertop out of it? I like the paint and beadboard detail on the island too. Nice job. He deserves another hug.

• amykath
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I would say the total cost of the island was around 500ish. I did not buy everything but the biggest expense was the three cabinets we bought at home depot. The rest of was very innexpensive.

Thanks so much for all of your compliments!!!

• amykath
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is a better close up of the dents and scratches I made. I could not handle it looking so smooth. I used a darker stain marker to fill in the dents I made.

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Too funny! Love it with dents and all!

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

Your BF is a talented guy. You're a talented finisher! Well, makes sense with your staging eye that you could give it the fit finishing touches. Look at all that storage.

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

That really looks great... ditto the comments about keeping the boyfriend!

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH