Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
treeu1

Need help Designing kitchen around red range

Chacha Lamacha
10 years ago

Hi - we are doing a complete kitchen remodel. Keeping our bright red Bertazzoni range and getting confused on what color cabinets (and countertops) would best compliment . Design mags seem to favor white cabinets and dark countertops but DH really pushing for wood stain cabinets...we are going with simple shaker style and a transitional/contemporary look. Thanks!!

Comments (18)

• bookworm4321
    10 years ago

Anything with a red tone, e.g. cherry, red oak, or maple stained. IMHO

• rosie
    10 years ago

Could you look to non-kitchen photos for combinations you like that could be interpreted with wood cabinets, all or part? This could have red stove, taupe walls, dark wood island, white... Proportions could be changed as desired.

[Traditional Bedroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-bedroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_715~s_2107) by New York Architects & Designers Andre Tchelistcheff Architects

Light wood finish lowers in a color similar to the walls, with trim lightening it all up even more?

[Rustic Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/rustic-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2111)

How about something like this with dark stained lower cabinets?

Dark island and white background? A red stove would do great things for this kitchen.

In imagining playing with colors, the biggest potential constraint I see might be the finish of the rest of the appliances. Maybe cover panels if it were a problem?

• cawaps
    10 years ago

I feel the opposite of bookworm4321, I really DON'T like red-reds with red-toned woods. I don't know why, but I really don't think they work well together. If it has to be wood (and I would totally vote for white), I would go with something with as little red as possible. Maybe a chocolate brown, or something in a really light tone.

• Wagle
    10 years ago

My husband is a visual learner--I would head to pinterest or Houzz and show him red stoves with different cabinets.
    I searched "red stove" on pinterest and there are a ton of pins.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• kksmama
    10 years ago

I agree with cawaps, would rather see white or gray than anything warm with the red range.

[Contemporary Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2103) by Vancouver Design-Build Firms Odenza Homes Ltd

• cawaps
    10 years ago

To clarify what I said earlier, now that nosoccermom has provided useful illustrations, the ones I like the least have redish or orangish cabinets: #8 (with the green walls) and #9 (with the pots hanging from the chimney hood). I'm not especially fond of the other mid-tone cabs either--#2 (burgundy range and hood), #3 (with the little open shelf under the counter), and #10 (with the red quartz counter on the left island section).

My favorites are the chocolate browns--#1 and #6 (with the limes). The really dark brown/black cabs are fine too, if you like that look. I also quite like the pickled cabs (#7, with the curvy peninsula), which read "cool" and don't try to steal the show from the red.

• fouramblues
    10 years ago

islandlaurie's kitchen is a must-see for you!

Here is a link that might be useful: islandlaurie's kitchen

This post was edited by fouramblues on Mon, Oct 14, 13 at 15:26

• _sophiewheeler
    10 years ago

If you need help with designing a kitchen, hire a kitchen designer. Most of the time, they are FREE when you purchase the cabinetry from them. You wouldn't get out the scalpel to remove that skin tag. You'd go to a dermatologist who could do that (and then send it off for a biopsy.)

Get a professional to do a professional's job.

• Chacha Lamacha
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow great suggestions and thanks nosoccermom & kksmom for the photos
    Hollysprings I know you are right but DH and I would waste time & drive a designer CRAZY without doing research first (such as provided by this forum) because we are so opposite in our tastes. He loves a more traditional or rustic wood feel such as suggested by formulablues (islandlaurie's kitchen), while I am in agreement with kksmom and cawaps - I want the red stove to Pop against contrasting white or dark cabinets....so as suggested by Rosie and wagle, I'll keep searching for photos online. Thanks everyone!

• pricklypearcactus
    10 years ago

I would recommend searching for images online (try Houzz.com and of course Google images) to try to evaluate uses of red ranges to see what components of kitchens with red ranges really appeal to both you and your husband. From there, I would suggest trying something like Olioboard.com (or Photoshop) to make inspiration boards to think through your options of material choices until you can settle on one or more that you both really like.

• ILoveCookie
    10 years ago

This is old-world, not contemporary, but it has a cute red range. :)

[Traditional Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107) by Other Metro Furniture & Accessories William Olsen Designs

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

Peacecorp, what did you have in your kitchen before? Did you like it? Why or why not?

• mrspete
    10 years ago

I vote for Rosie's picture #3. Using the very neutral white background allows the red range to really pop and become the focal point it should be.

I personally would've been tempted to use more red somewhere else . . . but this picture convinces me that I'd be wrong to do so.

• fouramblues
    10 years ago

Well then here's a link to a thread with a pic of colicky boy's white shaker cab kitchen with red Blue Star. Can't find his kitchen reveal, and I'd love to see it as I really liked what I saw in the in-progress shot. I'm actually quite partial to warm white kitchens, having just done one myself.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread with colickyboy's range run

• jellytoast
    10 years ago

I can't offer any thoughts on the cabinet color, but I can say that my seafoam green granite looks fabulous with red. My only red accent is the knobs on my stove, but it makes me want to add more. The seafoam is more of a woodsy muted green with brown and copper color accents, so there is no "christmassy" look with the red added.

• Clarion
    10 years ago

I can't see any wood cabinets doing justice to the red. Painted cabs will really bring it out, -and white wouldn't be the only color that would work.

Perhaps you could appease DH with the uppers being wood, but when you go with a red range, you are going for color, IMHO. Focus on color.

Visit the Bertazzoni/Aga/Lacancge sites for examples.

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

"He loves a more traditional or rustic wood feel..."

"I want the red stove to Pop against contrasting white or dark cabinets."

What about an English country style? I've always liked this kitchen....and a red range would fit right in :) {{!gwi}}From Farmhouse plans
    {{!gwi}}From Farmhouse plans