Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dixiedo_gw

my little kitchen makeover

dixiedo
9 years ago

I posted our makeover in the Gallery, but realized there isn't a whole lot of traffic over there any more. It's been years since I've been on the forums but we just moved an old house and we haven't stopped working since...

Comments (26)

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

That island top is gorgeous!!

• dixiedo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's a link for more details :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Tales of The Big White House

• gone_south
    9 years ago

Beautiful wooden island! What is the wood?

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

The wood is gorgeous! Actually from what I can see it's all gorgeous. I love the rooster pic!

• dixiedo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We're not really sure what the wood is lol?? Its butcher block (but we do not use it for food prep or cutting), but as for species?? No clue!

• dixiedo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

There are more shots in the gallery tab on the forum. We fell in love with (the potential of) this kitchen and knew we needed this house!!

This post was edited by dixiedo on Fri, Oct 10, 14 at 12:47

• chitown_mary
    9 years ago

So beautiful! Love it all, especially that butcher block. Do you know what stain you used?

• lavender_lass
    9 years ago

Thank you for posting! You've given me more than a few ideas...and I LOVE your fireplace :)

• Hydragea
    9 years ago

Lovely!

• dixiedo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all The stain color in Minwax Jacobean. We wanted it to be dark, but given that it is a lighter wood (by nature) it ended up a pretty, rich shade.

• dixiedo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's the gallery cross post:

Here is a link that might be useful: more pics of kitchen

• crl_
    9 years ago

So pretty! Thank you for sharing.

• lisa_a
    9 years ago

Love it! I'd love to see larger photos, please.

• amck2
    9 years ago

Thanks for sharing. Love your kitchen. Love your house!!

I quickly scanned some of your blog posts. Saw that you installed soapstone laminate on the perimeter counters. Your reasoning for doing that (keeping current appliances for now & choosing to wait for stone when you eventually change them out) is wise and refreshing to read.

Congrats on a perfectly lovely remodel!

• feisty68
    9 years ago

The proportions of your upper cabinets are very pretty and really add to the space. Cool that you chose a budget option for your perimeter counters - looks good.

• ChristyMcK
    9 years ago

Your makeover is just simply lovely. You did a wonderful job! Enjoy it.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

What is your "soapstone" counter made of?

• gr8daygw
    9 years ago

Just beautiful! Everything about your home, the setting, the house, the kitchen, the property are just gorgeous! Great job.

• Gemcap
    9 years ago

That is a superlative job. Well done! Love the proportions of your cabinets.

• mgmum
    9 years ago

Beautiful!

• dixiedo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all!! We are really happy so far. I know it's much more impressive to see real stone and brand spanking new appliances but we felt like these changes alone made a pretty huge difference :)

Errant: We used Wilsonart "oiled soapstone" laminate. I like it very much, it was very similar in coloring to the real soapstone sample we had!

• SaraKat
    9 years ago

Great job! Love everything, it looks so pretty and your house is beautiful. What a find!

• dixiedo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you :) We are so thrilled to be here!!

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

Wow! Just came from galleries to see the rest of your gorgeous kitchen!
    Congratulations

• dixiedo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you a2gemini :)

Also, I had a email question come from GW regarding the finishing of our island from Amanda. It won't let me respond via email so I will just post it here:

After we sanded and used wood conditioner, we applied several coats of minwax jacobean stain. Then we applied a coat of water based poly, sanded and applied another coat. We are going to let it cure for 2 weeks and then use minwax finishing paste wax on it for the final finish.

Mind you, these treatments are not food safe, but we do not use our island for food prep or cutting.... its too pretty for that lol ;) We just stick to good old fashioned cutting boards.

Hope that helps!!!

• ohopkins@hughes.net
    4 years ago

What is the width of the counter...the wood itself?

Thanks.