Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenamy

Stacked Cabinet ?

gardenamy
12 years ago

For those of you with stacked cabinetry, would you please share what the upper measurements you used were?

The proposed layout is stacked 15" uppers with 27" lowers. I'm trying to find photos of 27" inch lowers, but most seem to be longer. My husband's concern is that the cabinets will looked too chopped up. (Note, ceiling height is 108")

Am I better off with a full cabinet and skipping the stacked in this scenario?

For those with stacked, would you do it again?

Any advice is much appreciate!

Comments (8)

• User
    12 years ago

Why aren't you taking your cabinets to the ceiling? You will have 12" of space "left over" with that configuration. 12" of molding is an awful lot! The best proportions for stacked cabinets are around 2/3 to 1/3 ratio to around 3/4 to 1/4. It will depend on the level of detail in your door, the color of the cabinetry, whether or not glass is used in the uppers, an how much crown molding you are planning. If you are using stock sizes, then 30" with 18"s with glass and 6" of molding is a nice proportion. It's a bit top heavy for my taste with all wood doors or with too fussy muntins. If you are doing custom, then 33" with 15"s (plus 6" of molding) in either solid or glass is a nice proportion. Or if you are doing really custom, then 31" and 17" (plus 6" of molding) would be nearer the 2/3 to 1/3 "golden mean" ratio.

• syzygy
    12 years ago

I'd have to check our measurements, but that sounds like what we did. And I can post photos later tonight I think.

Basically though, we didn't choose to, we were forced to.

Our small U-shape kitchen had soffit above the cabinets, wallpapered an ugly floral pattern.

We were planning on replacing the oak cabinets right to the ceiling, with cherry or maple, but due to the economy in late 2008, we put it off.

However, last year, we had a hot-water supply line on the 2nd floor break, and suddenly we were forced to remodel (about 95% of the house, actualy).

So, we quickly discovered that the soffit was hiding the drain piping for the upstairs tubs, so forget having full-height cabinets.

We ended up going with stacked cabinets, a few of which have boxed-in sections hiding the plumbing. Inclduding a faux cabinet above the sink, where you'd normally see a valance. It was all very cleverly done, and we're very glad we did it.

We actually love the way it looks. We used reeded glass in the top uppers, and put LED lighting in to backlight the cabinet interiors. We don't think it looks chopped up at all, although we were worried about that.

In my opinion, the only reason I'd go with full rather than stacked is the cost. Stacked cost more of course.

I'll try to post photos later.

• plllog
    12 years ago

Mine are to the 9' ceiling, 21-ish inches on top, 29.5 inches on bottom, inc. light rail. We chose the dividing point to go with the height I wanted the hood to be.

I like having separate cupboards, rather than opening one long door. You could get the same effect, however, by having a shelf at the dividing point, and having two doors on one actual case.

I'm pretty tall and can barely reach the top shelf in the lower cabinet. Everything in the upper cabinets is long term storage. I don't have to see it to know what's where. The exception is the pantry. I have two floor to ceiling pantry cabinets, with just two sets of doors, upper to the ceiling and chest level down. Since things come in and out of the pantry regularly, I do want to see what's on top, which is things like disposable party supplies and rarely used small appliances.

• VickieHallmark
    12 years ago

We strove for the top cabinets to be approximately 1/3 of the total cabinet height for visual balance. I have full face frame cabinets and the lower door is 30" while the upper is 13 1/4", with 2" rails at bottom, center and showing on top. I also have 108" ceilings, so there is a tall crown molding with dentil accent.

Absolutely, I would do it again. I only use the glass uppers for display, but the puck lights really make it special. In the evening, we leave just those upper lights and the undercounter on and it's beautiful.

• gardenamy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

GreenDesigns - My apologies, the ceiling height is 100"...not 108".

It would be 27" cabinets with 15" uppers and 4" crown.

I'm looking at white, inset. No glass or very little. I want to be able to "hide" things I do not use every day but utilize storage to the ceiling. I love the look of glass, but storage is more of a concern.

I love the look of stacked, but want to make sure the proportions look correct - and worth the extra cost. Thoughts?

• timbuck2mom
    12 years ago

@VickieHallmark - I love your kitchen. The upper cabinets with the glass and lights is an excellent idea.

• angie_diy
    12 years ago

We did 27/16 for our 101" ceiling (following the Golden Mean rule), so basically the same as what you propose.

• gardenamy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Angie DIY....do you have any photos?

Thanks to all for your responses.