Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kimberly_ussher

Update: Tiny 1906 Bungalow kitchen remodel

SaintPFLA
9 years ago

Hi Everyone!

I can't seem to find my prior post - which contained a lot of great suggestions and ideas from everyone out here...but, I've been moving forward with the kitchen remodel.

It really becomes a 'you don't know, what you don't know', project, doesn't it?....and, 'wow - cabinets cost THAT much?!?...'

I now have a floor plan -which is attached.

It's not 'final' as of yet, but very close. I would like your opinions as I have about a week to decide. Could take longer if I need - which will push completion date to January.

I found what appears to be a good cabinet maker - does a lot of high-end homes (...most of his projects are way above my budget!) and he's willing to help me with my odd kitchen design. He seems to really know his craft. I took a tour of his shop this weekend and met some of his employees as well.

His suggestion is to recess the refrigerator into an existing wall where my pantry currently exists. This means opening up the existing kitchen wall (which is plaster...so...RIP original plaster wall...) in order to house the frig.

I've realized that in order to make design progress - you have to compromise - which may mean removing a wall.

I've purchased an antique oak buffet - very ornate - and it will be incorporated with the kitchen design.

I've decided against an antique sink - love them - but just not practical long term for me.

I've also hit structural problems - sagging floor joists...etc...which have now been addressed. Also, some rotted hardwood flooring which will be repaired.

Always something, right?

I'm going for white, shaker door cabinets and leaving my original uppers which will have new glass doors.

I'm still waiting on electrical updates, plumbing, floor refinishing -- and all the people to follow up -- and I need to settle on a range.

Would love any feedback and comments from you more experienced renovators!

Thanks!

Comments (2)