Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sweetbabyjames5_gw

Marble - sealer questions

sweetbabyjames5
12 years ago

I need some advice on my honed Carrara marble island top. What is the best sealer? Who seals it? My fabricator says he can seal it. The place where the slab came from says they can seal it with their product and then suggested that I buy their sealer and cleaner (not sure of name - cannot remember). I know there are stone care companies that can come out to do this, too. I pretty much have a blank slate right now and want the best sealer. What do you marble experts advise?

Comments (7)

• beekeeperswife
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

read the linked article. This woman did a great test, read part 1 and 2, and then she also does some other tests you can find on the blog.

Bee

Here is a link that might be useful: Marble sealer test

• PRO
    Stoneshine
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

In our stone refinishing business over the last several years we have been honing and rehoning many marbles(especially calacatta's,carrara's,dandy,statuary and more in and around the ny metro area.We do this work onsite at businesses or residences on polished marble whose owners found that dealing with polished marble in an acidic enviroment was to much to deal with. We also rehone honed countertops that have become abraded and or etched thru use. Or were just delivered with a finish that was a bit too shiny or at times not quite uniform enough. Anyway what we found is that if we get the level of hone just right although the countertops will etch from acidic substances it is much less obvious to the eye and can be easier to maintain. It also means customer will have longer intervals between professional services from companies like us. While polished stones or marble will etch and stand out like a sore thumb a polished surface is less resistant to the intrusion of staining agents. In the stone world always remember that a true stain will be darker than the stone and an etch mark will always be lighter. No exceptions to that rule. So anyway some polished stones will not need much sealer or take much because their surfaces when polished had a chemical reaction(beilby layer)with the polishing compounds used that caused the surface to gloss over and fill in the pores. However honed surfaces may make etching less obvious they can be more easily stained if not sealed properly. There are many sealers out there on the market that are very good. Water based sealers can be better for more porous stones due to there larger molecule composition. They also can be easier to work with and have less of an odor.Solvent based sealers can be more penetrating and work well on denser stones. Some have strong odors some dont. I like to work with sealers that dont smell and there are many goods brands out there.
    If you intend on doing this yourself send us an email and we will be happy to give you sugestions and walk you thru the process. If your fabricator is reputable and will take the time to properly seal the countertop then I would go with him as he should have a good knowledge of what the stone needs. The porousity should be tested so you know how porous your stone is. Based on that your fabricator should use a high quality sealer. No matter how good a impregnator(sealer) is,it is just as good as the operator who applies it. Your marble will need a minimum of two applications of sealer possibly more. The most effective way of applying a sealer is to load up the surface ,give the sealer time to absorb and then completly remove any resisue left on the surface. Most companies will apply another application immediatly after the first. We have found that if we do a application in the morning and one later on in the day we get a better result. Our chemist tells us that it is even better if you wait for the first application to cure(24 hours) and then apply a second one you will get even better results. While it is hard for a company to make extra service calls like that our chemist has always maintained that a better sealing job could in fact be done by the homeowner as they would in some cases have the time required to do a better job.
    If you do chose your fabricator make sure they tell you what sealer they are using so in the future you can use the same when needed again. Once the sealing has been done retest the surface using the water test and see how long it takes before the stone absorbs the water or not. If the water doesnt get absorbed after 30 minutes that is a great job. Remember a couple of important facts-sealers only temporarily inhibit or prevent the intrusion of staining agents into the pores of the stone. Sealers for stone are impregnators and live below the surface of the stone.
    Impregnating sealers can not prevent etching.(chemical reaction occuring from the calcites in acid sensitive stones neutralizing an acidic substance and leaving behind a dull spot)
    Stu Rosen
    www.mbstonecare.com
    www.stoneshine.com

• allenscreek
    8 years ago

I have honed carrara marble that was installed last summer. I want to seal it again and I called the installed who said to use any kind of sealer from HD or Lowes. I want to use the best sealer, what do you recommend for kitchen, bathroom and bar counters?

Thank you,

Debo Miller dbm.designs@gmail.com

• sjhockeyfan325
    8 years ago

Miracle 511 Impregnator.

• romy718
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Stoneshine (Srosen) - so good to see you back on the kitchen forum. I have always found your posts very informative.

• PRO
    Stoneshine
    8 years ago

Thanks

Its my pleasure!

We have had a busy year so far.

Always glad to help