Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
romy718

Backslash - Am I being unreasonable?

romy718
10 years ago

When I ordered this backsplash, I was made aware that since it was handglazed, "some variations in color were to be expected". I specifically asked if I would get some blue tiles as most of the tiles are silver/grey. I was told yes and also that some of the blue could be darker/more saturated with color and to order extra tile in case I didn't like the darker blue tiles.
My tiles arrived, not one tile with even a hint of blue. The tile is pretty but what really drew me to this choice was the occassional blue tile. I think it is kind of blah without it. The tile girl says it is very unusual not to get any blue but both she and my KD are "no guarantee on color range."
I want some blue tiles. My KD offered to see what the return policy is, return these tiles and place a custom color order, which I know will be much more expensive. These tiles were expensive to begin with. If I hadn't specifically asked about the blue before placing the order, I could see where a custom order would be my only alternative.
I'm even wondering if I should order a different color to make sure I get more color.
Edit: there are two blue tiles on this board. The middle one in the second row and the one on the left in the 5th row. They don't look blue in this picture but they are adding interest to the overall look because they are a different color.
The tiles I received are all generally the same color and look boring.

This post was edited by romy718 on Sat, Oct 26, 13 at 13:49

Comments (66)

• Vertise
    10 years ago

I can see the hint of blue in the closeup and agree that would be really lovely and interesting in your kitchen. I wouldn't settle for something without that special flair that drew you to it. Hopefully they will exchange them or try to find you some of the bluish tiles.

I put out a warning not long ago to someone to make sure to order several sample tiles from the range of colors -- even one box -- from the current lot they will be filling the order from. Each firing varies and can even differ so much that it doesn't look like the same tile. You think you are ordering one thing, based on their sample boards or floors, but you receive something else. It's like the tile world's dirty little secret -- and most of them won't take returns. If you are ordering through your KD or contractor you might have better luck with those policies due to the repeat business. Unfortunately, you'll probably get hit with a restock fee just to have gotten the chance to see the tile in person.

When sampling tiles, it can still be sketchy as it's just a stock person who might not be aware there are a few bluish tiles scattered in (unless specifically directed by the store because of a problem like this).

P.S. No I don't think it is unreasonable to expect to receive what you were shown. You would be amazed at just how different some of these firings can be.

This post was edited by snookums2 on Sat, Oct 26, 13 at 14:51

• ILoveRed
    10 years ago

Here is a picture I found on Houzz of the same tile. I can definitely see the blue. It looks a little pink as well. But it is beautiful tile.

I agree with the poster above. If the description states that some tiles will have shades of blue and that's what you expected, I would insist that a couple of boxes be exchanged at no cost to you. Your tile store should call the supplier. In my small town here, they would do that to keep my business.

Surely, then the new boxes will have a better mixture.

Is yours a new build or a remodel? Is there any details on your kitchen?

• romy718
    Original Author
    10 years ago

nosoccermom - you are right, it doesn't matter if they are blue, I just need some tiles that are cooler toned. Take those two to three blue tiles out and it is a completely different look.

Marthastoo -The tile salesgirl told me there would be blue tiles. I did pay $14 more per square foot than you did. That's my KD's upcharge, which I don't mind paying as long as she is my advocate & helps me resolve this. This started on Wednesday. On Friday, I realized that they were all expecting me to accept this tile, as is. I feel like they think I'm being unreasonable and probably crazy.
    I will contact Encore if necessary. I want to give them a chance to work it out.
    edit:too wordy

This post was edited by romy718 on Sun, Oct 27, 13 at 0:21

• romy718
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My silver backsplash tiles. Please help me pick out a new color.

• romy718
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Help me pick out an alternate color. On this board, possibly mint or celery , #2 or #3 on the right side. Thanks all.
    BOARD #1
    Two tile squares for each color
    LEFT SIDE
    1.Cameo
    2.Peridot
    3.Bamboo
    4.Waterfall
    5.Jade
    6.Pond
    7.Tea Green

RIGHT SIDE
    1. Moonlight
    2. Mint
    3. Celery
    4. Cashmere
    5. Sage
    6. Stream
    7. Too Dark

This post was edited by romy718 on Sat, Oct 26, 13 at 22:33

• rubyclaire
    10 years ago

What do you think of 2, 3, or 4 on the right side with your other elements. In theory, I think Silver looked like the best option but obviously in reality that may not be the case. Yours look very taupe to my eye.

• romy718
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No. 3 on the left is silver, which are the tiles I have laid out. Not sure there is another option on this board.
    BOARD #2
    2 Tile Squares for Each Color
    LEFT SIDE
    1.Beach
    2.Truffle
    3.Silver (my color)
    4.Smoke
    5.Storm
    6.Heliotrope
    7.Ink

RIGHT SIDE
    1. Bali
    2. Riviera
    3.Slate
    4.Midnight
    5.Denim
    6.Cerulean
    7.Cobalt

This post was edited by romy718 on Sat, Oct 26, 13 at 22:39

• User
    10 years ago

I think that the Peridot picks up the taupe tones in your floor as well as the grey tones in your marble. And I like the contrast it provides. I also like #7 Unnamed on the right side for the drama it gives, but I suspect you don't since you left the name off.

And I don't think that what you received is so bad either. It brings in the warmer tones of the floor.

• msrose
    10 years ago

I like celery and storm.

• HammerMom
    10 years ago

I don't know that I have anything valuable to input other than I have been interested in that exact same tile for my kitchen...I will follow this with great interest. Good luck!

• Vertise
    10 years ago

I like board 1: L#4 Waterfall R#4Cashmere R#6 Stream

• romy718
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for your opinions, I really appreciate it.
    rubyclaire, I do like 2, 3 & 4, mint, celery & cashmere. Cashmere is lovely but it is a definite color commitment. The other two seem more neutral.

hollysprings, the floor you see is cardboard with walnut underneath. I have another island with a dark walnut top that isn't in the pictures. I couldn't read the name on the last dark one but I don't want to go that dark. Thanks for asking to see the tile because it made me lay them all out & I have the weekend to look at them.
    msrose, I really like the two colors in storm but am afraid of that much contrast without seeing a picture with something similar. I don't have "design vision". I like celery. Strange name for that color because it doesn't look like celery.
    DH said "why don't you just relax & see if they will get you the blue on Monday". That would be the solution.

• rubyclaire
    10 years ago

Yes, there is always option #8 Relax. :)

Looking forward to how this works out for you!

• jess1979
    10 years ago

You have a beautiful kitchen and I am excited to see pictures when the backsplash is done. I have tiles that either are very similar or are the same as the tiles you wanted. The color does have a bluish tone to it and a very very faint pink, but they are not blue. Some have more of the bluish color then others. I tried taking a picture but it doesn't show the color well. I really like the color of my tiles but it does make the kitchen have a very cool feel. Why don't you like the color of the tiles they sent you? Again your kitchen is so pretty.

• ILoveRed
    10 years ago

Is it possible they sent you the color? Far fetched I know.

• deedles
    10 years ago

Oh tile, how you vex the TKO.

The original that you wanted (and as seen in the Houzz image) is gorgeous. So pretty. Well, they are all pretty and I can't offer you any help other than I feel your frustration. You'll get it right in the end, though.... don't accept anything other than what you feel is perfect.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

duplicate

This post was edited by snookums2 on Sun, Oct 27, 13 at 13:14

• Vertise
    10 years ago

It does look more like Smoke on the sample board. L#4. Or even L#2

This post was edited by snookums2 on Sun, Oct 27, 13 at 21:18

• romy718
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Red lover, a few kitchen details, my cabinets are Wood-Mode Regent Inset Nordic White (many hours of angst that it was too white),
    Vermont Danby Imperial (was sure those were not going to be white enough), dark walnut floors, La Paloma Gray walls which are much lighter than shown in the pic. That sample board would have been perfect. I am going to fight for those light blueish tiles (learned that from GW). Also, because of GW, I have DRAWERS!
    This was a complete gut & remodel. I've been waiting 18 years to get rid if the pink/mauve formica.

This post was edited by romy718 on Sat, Nov 23, 13 at 21:17

• GreenDesigns
    10 years ago

I think that the last pic you posted with them spread out on the island is just lovely. No, it's not what you originally envisioned, but I do think sometimes serendipity strikes and we get what we need rather than what we want. The tiles add a bit of warmth to the room that all of the cooler choices desperately need.

• Jbrig
    10 years ago

Your kitchen is going to be beautiful! I don't have any fantastic advice, but I did want to tell you that I see the hints of blue in your first pics, and I agree that it would be gorgeous in your kitchen. Stick to your quest for those bluish tiles, OP! Part of that extra $14/sq ft you're paying surely ought to go towards helping the customer with these types of details ;-)

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Honestly, I still would call Encore, especially since these are not dirt cheap tiles. If they advertise the tiles as having rosy, blue, and mint undertones, then I certainly would want those subtle shades. That's why you go with Encore tiles and not th ebottom priced tiles.
    Also, how do you know that whatever other tiles you pick won't also come in a relatively unique color?
    Of the tiles you posted, I like celery, cashmere (also storm).

• ILoveRed
    10 years ago

Romy...that's why your cabinets are so gorgeous and well done.

Your kitchen will be beautiful no matter which tile you use but I really wonder if they sent the wrong tile.

The tile they sent is beautiful. Enough to make me remember it. Building again in the spring and taking notes on your kitchen.

Ps. I al so had the mauve (with gray) many, many years ago.

• Lisa
    10 years ago

Romy, any good news with your backsplash?

• romy718
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I did get good news today. My KD opened most of the boxes of tile & found 2 blue tiles. They are going to send one of them to Encore & have more made. The tiles are darker than the sample board but there are enough grey ones that I believe they are the Silver. They look a little more grey in this picture. You all helped me communicate my message. Thank you! Once the backsplash is in, the electricians will finish and my kitchen will be in business.
    Red lover, your kitchen is gorgeous. You must be building a new home?
    Lcskaisgir, I'm looking forward to your slabs this week. I hadn't seen pictures of the slabs T&M transferred for me. I was very pleasantly surprised. I hope you are too.

• jesshs
    10 years ago

Well, your DH was right. Relax and let them get you the blue tiles! Glad to know that your KD is earning their $ and fixing the situation for you. I definitely saw the blue in the sample, and not in your sample and you did a good thing by not "settling". Can't want to see the final reveal.

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

Just wanted to say that your kitchen is beautiful! Love the cabinets and counters and flooring. Glad you're getting some blue tinted tiles to work in.

• michelle16
    10 years ago

I do see acouple of the blue or cooler tiles on the tiles u have laid out on the counter- so if your worried there is not enough contrast- I would say I def. see alot of contrast. Plus yours aren't grouted, and I believe the sample board was - with white grout, which will prob. lighten the look from a taupe as you say to more of a lighter gray like you want like the board. I think it will turn out great. Looking forward to it, as it might now be a contender for my kitchen! Gorgeous so far! Good luck!

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

Romy
    Beautiful tiles with or without the blue!
    Glad you are getting what you want for your awesome new kitchen!
    Gag- 18 years with mauve - you are amazing survive that!

• romy718
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Michelle16, your kitchen was one of my inspiration kitchens. Thanks for helping me figure out my island. I hope you are enjoying your beautiful home!

• michelle16
    10 years ago

Thanks Romy, would love to do these tiles myself, but being I have a wall of gray cabinetry, it might be too much gray. I keep going back to my original vision which is Artistic Tiles claridges- but its super expensive.

• wishiwasinoz
    10 years ago

Romy, your kitchen is STUNNING! I am so glad it will all work out in the end. I cannot wait to see the finished kitchen!

Marthastoo, cwould you please share where your Encore tiles came from? Thanks!

• marthastoo
    10 years ago

wishiwasinoz - I ordered my Encore tiles from Avalon Tile. They have several locations, but they only carry Encore at their King of Prussia and Cherry Hill locations.

• romy718
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So...we MAY have a resolution. I have one lone blue tile in my current picture, darker blue than what I would have liked. Actually, I think all the tile is darker than what I expected. Initially, Encore was not going to make me more blue tiles, stating that "the tiles are within the expected color range". My KD intervened. After sending pics & explaining the situation, they are going to experiment & see if they can make a blue tile to blend with my tiles. I should find out in the next few days if this is possible. I've asked & I'm hoping to get a lighter blue than the one in the picture. The plan is to wait & see how the blue tiles blend & go from there. I have to say, my KD has been great & I'm happy with Encore's responsiveness.
    Michelle16, the Claridges is beautiful.

• bookworm4321
    10 years ago

I still love your tiles, with the shading variations.

I'm going back to store that sells these; so pretty.

• rubyclaire
    10 years ago

These tiles are just beautiful...I hope you get as close to your vision as you can! We are about to pour the foundation on a new house and I will also look for these tiles when I get closer to the finishing stage. Good luck and looking forward to your final reveal!

• wishiwasinoz
    10 years ago

Thanks Marthastoo!

This post was edited by wishiwasinoz on Wed, Oct 30, 13 at 22:07

• sunsoleil
    10 years ago

Romy, your kitchen is exquisite! I am glad it appears you will be able to stay with your original plan.

• kam76
    10 years ago

Romy I just love your kitchen! I can see the one blue tile in the last photo but it is beautiful. I think your backsplash is going to be breath-taking. Can't wait to see it when it is finished. Would you mind sharing how much these tiles cost per sq ft?

• romy718
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kam, I paid $43 per sq. ft. but Marthastoo paid $29 per sq. ft. I'm not sure if the price difference was my KD's upcharge, shipping or tax. Thanks, it is beautiful tile.

• Bunny
    10 years ago

romy, the tile (with and without the blue) is gorgeous. At the sq. ft. price, you need to be absolutely happy and satisfied with it. I'm glad your KD is so supportive and Encore so responsive. It will be a beautiful backsplash!

• kksmama
    10 years ago

Romy, you are so close! Uncovering that floor will be like unwrapping a present, the walnut island is stunning and I'm excited to see the whole reveal. I'm glad you are getting support from GW and your KD to get the right backsplash color mix, that kitchen deserves it!

• bosma
    10 years ago

Beautiful tile!!!
    Is there an update?

• bookworm4321
    10 years ago

Romy,

I picked up my samples of Cameo, ans saleswoman gave me a few silvers. All the silvers are definitely silver/bluish, so clash with my counter, which has more green tone. I just think your silver don't show well in pictures.

I tried taking a few pictures of the Cameo, near window, with light and without, and my counters don't show as grey as they are in person.

• bookworm4321
    10 years ago

In picture above, Cameo looks yellow. It really looks like the sample board color.

IRL, don't yours look silver not taupe?

• romy718
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Encore custom made me a batch of bluish tiles to blend with my original order. They've been shipped but probably won't arrive before Thanksgiving. They send my KD this picture. I'm not sure what I think of the picture (green?). I'll just have to wait & see them in person. The original tiles are still sitting on my countertop. I've grown fond of them. Sometimes they look very silver, sometimes taupe depending on the lighting. It's going to be a little embarrassing if I don't like the blue after making such a fuss.
    Bookworm, how do you like the Cameo? It does look a little yellow on my moniter but the color blends with your backsplash.

• bookworm4321
    10 years ago

Romy,
    They are the nicest crackle tiles I have seen. The saleswoman said she would NOT order me silver, as too often came with blue tones. The Cameo is on the other board, and has a green undertone. It is definitely not yellow, nor are my countertops (predominantly grey).

I'm not sure it is best match for my cabinets, and if I can figure out how to get some decent photos, I'll post separately. I just love the crackle over the glass tiles I've been shown. If I could do it all again, I'd shop BS first, and then find a quartz countertop that lets the BS shine.

In your last picture, the silver looks dark, and I know it isn't. It is truly lovely.

What I have learned from you is that I will order several extra sheets. If some tiles look too dark/off color, I can have extras to replace.

• romy718
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bookworm,
    Here's a pic of the Cameo I found on the Encore website, beautiful.

• Kathy Spanski
    9 years ago

Romy718,

Not sure if you'll see this since its an old post. I saw a photo of your kitchen on Pinterest and it looks similar in dimensions to my own kitchen. We currently have a pantry closet on the wall you have your stove. We have been trying to figure out how to best use the space and still keep our island (which is about the same width as yours). Would you be willing to give me the measurements between your island and the counter on each side? Thanks!