Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marybeth1_gw

small kitchen shiloh cabinets will this work?

marybeth1
15 years ago

Hi all! Back with my small kitchen. This is a rough picture of the layout. I am getting shiloh cabinets and would like to mix finishes. I was thinking of meium cherry/mocha glaze on perimeter and ivory/mocha glaze on the island. Do you think I could bring the ivory into sink area and cabinet above sink? I would then put glass in cabinet above DW. I also love the coffe/mocha glaze on cherry but I am concerned witj darkness factor. I posted a inspiration picture from the shiloh gallery to give ypu an idea of what I am thiking. The picure is actually polar white but I would be using the ivory. Do you think my kitchen is too small to do this?

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Comments (17)

• mpeg
    15 years ago

Hi Marybeth,

I'm not the expert to ask but I am thinking about doing the very same thing. Mixing these two finishes. The cherry and the cream painted and glazed. Absolutely it will work, I've looked at both of the finishes you are considering in Shiloh too. If you bring it to your sink area I do think it's important to bump out the sink nad bump out the cabinet above the sink, It gives it some definition and a bit of and unfitted look with the changing of finishes. That is advice from designers I've talked to.

Personally if I were you with this design I would put the painted finish on the iland. I could be wrong and someone with more design experience could chime in here. But your sink is so off center I think it might seem stange to make it a focal point at on side of the kitchen.

Also one big question I have for you. What kind of granite will you use??? Since I'm thinking of using similar finishes I aould love ideas about what would look best. I think this will be a beautiful comination!

• marybeth1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

mpeg, it is so funny that you responded because your tuscan kitchen was my other inspiration. I love the look!
    I see what you mean about the sink. I don't have room for a bump out.I am definitely putting on the island I was just hoping to put it some place else. Do you think the ivory is too yellow? I do not want white white it just would not work in my house. I was also thinking of egg shell/mocha glaze. Have you seen that finish? As far as granite goes I think I am leaning towards quartz. I would like to stay light. I do not have any windows just a sky light. I am trying to lighten things up. My house was built in the 80's hence alot of dark ugly woodwork.
    I saw your post a couple days ago about the coffee/black glaze finish was hoping you would get some responses with pictures.

• mpeg
    15 years ago

marybeth1

The rustic kitchen was my inspration too. I am just now thinking it might be best to tone that down a bit and do it in cherry and painted glazed. I don't theink the ivory is too yellow at all with what you are doing. In mixing it with the woods it will look very light in contrast. If you want to mix it in with your cabinets I would consider doing the fridge cabinet as well as the sink ones. That would balance things out a little more. I hope someone else with more experience will chime in here on this. Even if you don't bump out the sink, you caould bump out the cabinet above 2-3", add some columns to your sink base to give it some interest. Or do your sink base in a farmhouse style. That would look nice.

I was hoping to get a response on the Shiloh coffee black glaze. I'm just afraid of it being too dark too.

• marybeth1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

mpeg, I think the coffee black is just beautiful but I am ripping out dark oak cabinets now. What about the coffe/mocha glaze for you? If I remember correctly You are removing a wall which will bring in alot of natural light. Someting I don't have. You are also using more painted cabinets.

• mpeg
    15 years ago

marybeth1,

I guess I didn't realize there was a coffee mocha glaze. I will have to check that out and see how much difference the slightly lighter glaze makes. That is a good idea. Have you looked at the coffee black glaze maple in person. I haven't. I've just seen the Shiloh web site photos and like that fact that this cherry doesn't look as red. Yes, I should have lots of natural light, if we remove the wall. That is a point.

• marybeth1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have seen all the doors in person. The salesman also took me back in the warehouse and let me see the medium cherry/mocha and the acorn/black maple. Both were gorgeous! The acorn/black made be rethink maple it is really pretty. I originally wanted maple but could not find a finish I liked. Then I stumbled upon shiloh and I love all the finishes. I am going back today with fabrics and cambria quartz samples I will let you know what I see.

• mpeg
    15 years ago

Marybeth1,

Have fun and let me know. FWIW I feel the same way about the Acorn maple with the black glaze. Love it, most maples look orangy to me and this one didn't. That would be a thought for your kitchen, maybe with the island a different color.......I like the lighteness of the maple it has depth and at the same time is not dark looking. I don't know what you could do the island in with that though? You will just have to let me know what you think. I live quite a ways from any Shiloh dealer so it's a day trip for me. Keep me posted.

• marybeth1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

mpeg, I just got back from the shiloh dealer and the ivory is on the yellow side. that's not a bad thing but I think the eggshell/mocha is more of the color I need. I think I am going with the eggshell/mocha and the medium cherry /mocha. As for you I had him pull the coffee/black down and it was REALLY pretty. Believe it or not I think prettier than the coffee/mocha. The mocha glaze does not show up on the coffee. I remember reading someplace that with the darker colors you have to go dark with the glaze for it to show up. I think the black glaze will give you more of the look you are looking for. I was surprised also to see how nice the pewter glaze looked on both ivory and eggshell when they were up against the coffee/black. Hope that helps. I have to go back with my husband to let hem know what colors HE LIKES. LOL If I can look at anything else for you let me know.

• mpeg
    15 years ago

Marybeth1,

I think that would be very nice in your kitchen. As a matter of fact I've seen it done somewhere with those colors. I'm pretty sure it's the medium cherry and the ivory pewter. If I find the picture I'll post it for you.

So let me ask you this. You can be my eyes for now. Which do you think would look the best...with the coffee cherry and black glaze. The ivory mocha, or the ivory pewter?

This is kind of fun having my own Shiloh cabinet detective and an extra set of eyes......LOL

It's about a 45 minute drive to my Shiloh dealer and they don't always have the samples in I want to see. They share them between three offices.

• mpeg
    15 years ago

Marybeth1,

I think this link shows you the colors you are thinking about using. I'm just not sure if it is ivory pewter or ivory mocha. I think it's the pewter.

Very pretty combination!

Here is a link that might be useful: signature kitchens

• marybeth1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

peg, well I am NO designer but I thought the pewter toned down the yellowness of the ivory and looked nice with the dark and black glaze. Are you looking for an off white color or cream color because the ivory definitly has yellow tones. If you are looking for an off white maybe you should look at the eggshell/mocha or pewter. I am also thinking since your colors will be next to each other do you think the glazes should be the same? I was hoping someone with design exper would join in. I am going with the eggshell/mocha. But you go with what you like I highly recommend you bring them home to your home. Every home has different lighting and what looks one color in my house may look a different color in yours.

• marybeth1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

mpeg, Just was on shiloh's wesite again and I see they have the coffe/black paired up with the ivory/mocha so if its a creamy look you are going for I think you should stick with that.

• mpeg
    15 years ago

marybeth1,

I follow you. I remember bringing home the Shiloh Ivory sample and it was very yellow looking. But you put the pewter glaze on it and it really tones that down. With the glaze I don't think it's as big a deal if you re just using it as accent pieces not the whole kitchen. Like you said it just depends on your house, the colors, lighting etc that you mix it with.

But I did the same thing you did I remember I asked the shiloh dealer to see the eggshell because I thought the Ivory was too yellow. I have white trim in my house.

Did you see the link that I attached? The medium cherry and the mocha with the ivory petwter.

I think we have our own little back and forth thing going on here...LOL

• marybeth1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

mpeg, thanks for the website, I did not see it before, these posts sometimes get out of order. I like the look of the cherry and ivory. What kind of hardware are you thinking? I think that will also determine what color glaze Don't you think? I'm thinking orb would look good with the mocha glaze. Thanks for the help it is so overwhelming. I post some pics once I get it ordered.
    Mary Beth

• mpeg
    15 years ago

Mary Beth,

ORB it is for me too. To the best of my knowledge at this time anyway. Please do keep me updated. Let me knnow how you decide to do the finishes.......looking forward to it!

Peggy

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    15 years ago

Just coming into this thread. Been swamped at work lately and can't sleep tonight. I too would probably play it a little safe and do the second color on the island. BTW, I love your kitchen layout. Really pretty. Are you going with granite? I would tone the cabs to match with the counter top material that you want.

Now, that said, I found my granite first and then went with cabs that went with that color. I too have a very small kitchen. No room for an island.

Originally, I had a very traditional kitchen in mind and them pushed my design ideas to be more of a transitional style kitchen. I am very happy with my choices. I finally decided on plain maple cabs (I only have one window in the kitchen and had to worry about light) but I wanted some pazazz. I did my sink in an espresso (black) stain. I LOVE it! It looks like a beautiful piece of furniture. I did have mine built about three inches larger than the other cabs and am glad I did. Far more room under the sink for everything.

So those of you thinking of black stains, here is mine. I didn't do a distressed finish as I was tired of the country look for me (although it was a beautiful finish). So this is straight stain and the other cabs are natural.

• marybeth1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

mustbnuts, thanks for the advice. I've had nights like that too. Your kitchen is BEAUTIFUL! I love your floor! you tied everything together so well. What kind of floor is that? I love how the black looks against the maple. Very pretty.