Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jacduf

My Small Creamy Yellow/Soapstone/Travertine Kitchen

jacduf
13 years ago

Hi Everybody

This site has been a wonderful resource. Hope my pictures can help others! (Elizpiz's was a real help to me -- hers were the first pictures I saw that had all the elements I wanted - creamy coloured cabinets, soapstone and travertine)

Info:

Basically kept to the original layout but took out bulkhead, added counter and drawers where pantry was and moved pantry to where desk was. I now keep all pens, paper, bills, etc in the top drawers of the wooden buffet.

Triangle Kitchen cabinets

Soapstone countertop and sink - we oiled with a beeswax and linseed oil mixture (only twice since install in July) love it!

Travertine backsplash and floor tile

Price Pfister pull down faucet

Appliances all KitchenAid

(I know the OTR Microwave is not the preferred way to go and I tried every which way to avoid it, but for my limited area, I didn't want to give up counter or cupboard space.)

Old kitchen:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1073/5107097545_a25a21be3e_b.jpg

Nice and bright:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4151/4978714766_08b3439991_z.jpg

Love the colour of my stools and they are very comfortable (Costco), but they are a bit too deep (was planning on returning them but after sitting in them and seeing how comfortable they are, we decided to keep them)

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4090/4978107159_4bfae741e7_z.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4133/4978107837_ba40a4acc5_z.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4084/4978107583_eb5f7cd240_z.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4090/4978715356_a83c6372cf_z.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4138/4813499989_89d5a645a5_z.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4099/4813499731_c709984811_z.jpg

Love that now have a countertop area where I can 'hide' things like bread, etc.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4106/4978715172_7c8db0203e_z.jpg

Loved my old pantry, so got another very similar -- holds so much, would definitely recommend:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4128/4978715110_ee5c078668_z.jpg

Comments (61)

• farmhousegirl
    13 years ago

Absolutey adorable and so my style too. Love!

• ebean
    13 years ago

wow....what an amazing transformation! it looks just fabulous!!!

• lisa0527
    13 years ago

Just working on my layout...which will be surprisingly similar to yours. Just wondering how long the penninsula is and if you find it long enough for 2 people to be sitting at it comfortably.

• gneebee
    13 years ago

How beautiful and welcoming. You did a marvelous job.

• hamden_mom
    13 years ago

Lovely all around! Can you tell us the names of your paints and paint colors? Also the maker and finish of your knobs and pulls? Thanks!

• doraville
    13 years ago

What can I say that others haven't? Really lovely. Wonderful job!

• katsmah
    13 years ago

Beautiful! I love the color of your cabinets. It looks so warm and inviting.

• sparklekitty
    13 years ago

What a sweet calm kitchen. Great design details. If you used a KD you found a good one, if you didn't maybe you have a new career ahead of you :) A magazine worthy result. Be proud and enjoy!

• rookie_2010
    13 years ago

Oh my, I'm in love with your kitchen! Those colors are amazing and I agree with Sparklekitty, it's totally magazine worthy. Every detail is perfect! And the red barstools amongst that buttery yellow is genius! You should be very, very proud. Enjoy!!!!

• puppeez
    13 years ago

I didn't think I was a 'yellow' person...but I really think your kitchen is a place I'd like to come and sit a spell....(and drool a little)! Nice choices!

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

Just darling! Those bold pendants are a real scene stealer...in a great way! Enjoy!

• jacduf
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh my! Thanks for all the kind feedback.
    Kevinw1 - I went with the swing pantry instead of the pull out because I really loved what I had (the swing type, called a chef's pantry) and couldn't imagine a pull out working better.
    Lisa0527 - The countertop is 68 inches where we have the stools and we find it quite comfortable for two to eat there. Good to hear you have a similar layout -- let me know if you have any other questions. (I didn't find many on the FK site like ours)
    Hamden mom - the cabinet colour is Sun Bay Sand and the wall colour is Debbie Travis 'New Dawn' from Canadian Tire. It is a soft green. (I'm not altogether sure it 'goes' with the cabinets, but I love the colour and it's mostly visible in the eating area)
    My knobs and pulls are from Richelieu and are brushed nickel.
    Thanks again.

• jterrilynn
    13 years ago

Hi jacduf, me again! I am about done with a yellow kitchen as well although mine is two tone or more. I was wondering if you could tell me about your range, it's very nice looking, I think mine is about to bit the dust. What is the brand and do you like the oven?

• jterrilynn
    13 years ago

Oh silly me I see now you said your range is a kitchen aid.

• cat_mom
    13 years ago

Pretty and cozy!!

• kitchenaddict
    13 years ago

Hi jacduf...

Lovely...just lovely.

KA:)

• honeychurch
    13 years ago

Yay for pulley lights, love those! Cool red stools, too.

Congratulations!

• byronroad
    13 years ago

Love your kitchen! It just draws you in with its warmth and its details. Congratulations! The green paint in the eating area plays off of the furniture wood tones really nicely.
    Isn't trying to place a microwave really difficult. We wound up putting ours below the counter -another unpopular spot - because, like you, I didn't want to waste counter or cabinet space on it. I want to come over and have coffee in your kitchen.

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

That is one gorgeous kitchen...luv the color.

• dianalo
    13 years ago

Sweet! I love that the tones are all mellow but not monochromatic. It all flows so organically ;)
    Killer lights BTW....

• rmaxharrj
    13 years ago

It's such a lovely kitchen! All your choices are calming and beautiful.

Could you tell me whether having the DW at a right angle to your sink has been good/bad/indifferent? We have a similar U-shaped setup, but my DW is currently jammed in next to the sink - I would love to move the DW to another leg of the U in our remodel, but I'm worried that it will be awkward for the person loading from the sink. Thanks!

• jacduf
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Rmaxharrj - we don't find it awkward having the DW on the peninsula. One thing to remember if you go this route you'll need a longer DW drain hose as it needs to travel through the corner cabinet.

Thanks to everyone else for the kind comments!

• zeebee
    13 years ago

Lovely - that yellow is gorgeous and it pairs beautifully with the soapstone.

• chris45ny
    13 years ago

They call me (your kitchen) mellow yellow-quite right!!

Great job!!

• Christine Clemens
    13 years ago

So pretty. I love the cabinets, the hardware and especially the soapstone. I am planning a similar color for my cabinets if I can ever get my project off the ground. Sigh. Going back to look at yours again.

• shelayne
    13 years ago

*Sigh* I do so love yellow!

LOVE LOVE LOVE!

Your before and afters are totally inspiring! It is so cheerful and bright--yet warm and inviting! Well done! And that swing-out pantry--*swoooooon*

LOVE LOVE LOVE IT ALL!

Now I will scroll back to look at it again!

• calypsochick
    13 years ago

Gorgeous cabinets! Love that shade of creamy yellow and your beautiful sink. What a huge difference from before and after!

• cluelessincolorado
    13 years ago

Hi! Just finished wiping drool off the keypad. Super lovely! It's making me so excited to get going and cemented my decision for soapstone. If you don't mind, how wide is the counter next to the fridge. I'll have the same set up on that side and I'm wondering if it'll be large enough for a small baking center. Love the pantry - I'd love to do the same, I love it at my mothers, but mine can only go 15". Beautiful work with all the elements!

• marcy96
    13 years ago

I love your kitchen! I too have a creamy yellow kitchen so I'm a little biased, but you did a great job! I love the soapstone counters and sink and how nicely the travertine goes with it and the cabinets. I thought your before kitchen wasn't that bad, but your after is just gorgeous! The painted cabs open up the space and make it so warm and inviting. And I want your pantry cabinet! Great job! Enjoy!

• attygirl
    13 years ago

Amazing transformation. I love that you have a kitchen that everyone can imagine having in their home. So many of these dream kitchens are exactly that...just a dream. Bravo.

• jacduf
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone for the comments!

cluelessinColorado - my countertop next to the fridge is 48 inches. I think it would definitely work for a baking area. Just keep in mind what you'll be putting above it. I have deeper upper cabinets there, great for storage, but they are more 'in my face' so I wouldn't want to be working there -- I prefer to do mine on the peninsula. Good luck!

• denifitz
    13 years ago

Your kitchen looks awesome! Would you mind sharing your cabinet door style?

• jacduf
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Denifitz, the cabinet door style is called Provence.

• susanlynn2012
    13 years ago

Amazing transformation and so beautiful now! I love the new cabinet style and the creamy happy warm color, love the new hardware on the cabinets, love the Travertine backsplash and floor, love the Kitchen Aid appliances and love the new microwave, love the soapstone counters, etc.

• harley67
    13 years ago

Hi...love your kitchen...a few questions...is the soapstone a particular color?...and you said the color of the cabinets was sun bay sand...what brand is this?...Debbie Travis?....and finally, does the soapstone scratch easily?....thanks

• gillycat
    13 years ago

love love love your kitchen.
    Especially love the pantry. Wish i had known about that!
    well, maybe i can retrofit one later.
    I am sure you must just love being in there, cooking. eating and just BEING.

your faucet is so similar to mine but in the chrome it has such a different look. Very interesting to see that.

• jacduf
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Jterrilynn, sorry I missed your question . My stove is a KitchenAid convection. I'm very happy with it. I especially like that it has a warming drawer at the bottom. It came in very handy a few weeks ago for Thanksgiving dinner.

• elizpiz
    13 years ago

Jacduf, wow! The kitchen looks amazing! As others have said, so warm and cozy. I especially love those rich red bar stools. Did you end up going with N+G and were you happy?

Congratulations on a wonderful job - you must be absolutely thrilled.

Eliz

• istyleit
    13 years ago

Do u mind telling where your lights are from?

• flwrs_n_co
    13 years ago

What a beautiful, warm, and inviting kitchen! The cab color with the soapstone is a showstopper! And I love the counterbalance pendants! The little shelves by your sink & end of peninsula cab are charming! And your travertine BS ties everything together perfectly! Hats off to you--great transformation! Oh, almost forgot to add: Your pantry is over the top!

• jacduf
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Harley67 - The soapstone is called Java Black from N&G Soapstone in Ontario. It's been installed since July and we haven't had any problems with scratches. (I babied it for the first few weeks, but since then I haven't and I love it -- my favourite part of the reno).

The cabinet colour is a standard sample from the kitchen company (Triangle), so I'm not sure what brand it is.

istyleit - my pulley pendant lights are from Rona.

Thanks everyone for the positive feedback!

• red_eared_slider86
    13 years ago

So much more relaxing! Congratulations!

• gobruno
    13 years ago

Beautiful! It's so warm, cozy, and inviting. Super job!

• cplover
    13 years ago

Wow!! You have my dream kitchen layout!! Right now I am a GW lurker as I try to find a layout that works for our total kitchen remodel. (As soon as I figure out to how to upload photos I will post b/c people on GW are great with layout.)

My kitchen must be the same size as yours and the ONLY thing that keeps me having the same layout as you is that where you have your range I have an opening to my back door/stair well--which I do think can be moved. So I cannot have a U like you have. But otherwise my existing kitchen is the same as yours. We too have a small attached area for dining and the same window above the sink that we would love to keep. Your kitchen is beautiful and inspirational, especially for me who has a small space to work with!!!

• cplover
    13 years ago

Jacduf- One more question... how much overhang do you have on your peninsula? I am sorry I cannot stop drooling over your kitchen--- it is beautiful!!!

• jacduf
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi newbieremodeler - my overhang on my peninsula is 12 inches.
    Let me know if you have any other questions.

• cplover
    13 years ago

Jacduf,

What width (sink to fridge side)of your kitchen? How long is your peninsula from wall to end? How are you liking the peninsula? I have never had one but am planning for one in the remodel since I do not have near enough room for an island. Do you have any advice for planning a small (compared to others on GW) kitchen remodel? Thanks again!

• jacduf
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Newbieremodeler
    My kitchen width is 11 feet, and the length of the peninsula is 68 inches. We really like the peninsula, and I use the eating area for breakfast and lunch (great for reading the newspaper!)
    Re advice for a small reno, as I said in my comments, I really think it was worth going with an OTR as I can't imagine what space I'd want to be without to accommodate the microwave elsewhere. Also, removing the bulkhead and having the cabinets go all the way to the ceiling added a lot of storage. (Although, it's not easily accessible -- I need a step stool to reach the upper shelves, but at least it's there for those little used items)

• stephcil
    13 years ago

I love your kitchen... similar to mine but I'm lacking a backsplash. Can you tell me the name of your tile? (does travertine come in different color names? it confuses me!)

Stephanie

• jacduf
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi stephcil, the travertine we used for the backsplash is called ivory. I know what you mean about travertine being confusing, one thing to remember is because it is natural stone the tones vary, so ivory at one place may look different than at another.