Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
julieh1926_gw

Backsplash is finally in! Cherry cabs, ss, marble bs finally done

julieh1926
12 years ago

Well, after a long break in working on the home, we finally installed our backsplash after waiting about a year! I thought I'd share. It took forever to find a backsplash that worked with both the cherry cabs and the soapstone counters. We ended up finding a danby marble random plank tile and absolutely love it. Most importantly, our kitchen is finally done! Backsplash, window treatments, everything is in!

The backsplash is honed danby marble by Quarry Collection, their large planking mosaic tiles.

Thanks, as usual, for all the inspiration and help from everone on this board!

The coloring on some of these is a bit off, but you can get the idea.

Comments (24)

• Mercymygft
    12 years ago

Wow, gorgeous! I love the look of the whole space! Backsplash is beautiful!

I do have a question... I am planning a similar room, kitchen/eating area/family room and am having some space planning issues. Do you know the dimensions of your entire room?

• oldhousegal
    12 years ago

That is a beautiful kitchen! (I'm sort of partial to the marble/soapstone thing since that is what I did as well, tho :) I do love your choice of marble as it subtly pulls the colors of the surroundings without being a distraction. I think it all goes together nicely.

• lisa_a
    12 years ago

Looks very nice!

What color are your walls? I've been trying to find a warm golden beige just like that. TIA!

• ellendi
    12 years ago

The wait was worth it. You found the perfect backsplash!

• remodelfla
    12 years ago

fabulously beautiful kitchen! Your backsplash is spectacular.

• blfenton
    12 years ago

Your room is so pretty and the backsplash is understated, elegant and adds to the whole look. I like the window treatments as well. Nice room.

• cat_mom
    12 years ago

Love it!!!!! Kitchen looks beautiful!

• kitchenkrazed09
    12 years ago

Absolutely perfect! I love the backsplash and the soapstone and everything does go so well together.

• julieh1926
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for all the comments :)
    Our overall space (kitchen, dining area and family room area) is about 25' x 22'. From the kitchen to the fireplace wall is about 25' and from the windows to the entertainment center is about 22'. Hope this helps!

Our paint is SW Blonde. It's a gold/tan and we love it. We used that throughout much of the house, with a deeper color on the same card for the dining room (can't remember the name).

• Mercymygft
    12 years ago

julieh1926...Thanks! Yes, that helps a lot. My space is 24' x 22', so almost the same!

Your paint color looks almost identical to mine. I have BM Desert Tan, but my painter used SW paint. I love the color.

• lisa_a
    12 years ago

You're the second person who replied "SW Blonde" when I asked about their wall color (the other is my neighbor). The funny thing is that I have already been seriously considering Ivoire, one shade lighter on that paint chip card. Studying it so much, in fact, that I knew that Blonde is one shade darker that Ivoire without looking. Since I've now asked twice about Blonde, maybe I should put that one into consideration as well. Thanks! btw, one shade darker is Restrained Gold. Or maybe you used Mannered Gold?

• EcoBuzz
    12 years ago

Beautiful! I love your kitchen and the backsplash looks perfect.

• susanlynn2012
    12 years ago

I love your cherry kitchen cabinets, the hardware you used, the counters, the backspash and the SW Blonde paint on the walls. You are blessed with so much light and so many windows. I love Cherry Cabinets but still undecided since I do not have a lot of light in my kitchen. Cherry cabinets with enough light are so rich looking.

• mmhmmgood
    12 years ago

Wow! Beautiful soapstone, very lovely cherry cabs and the backsplash ties it all together perfectly. Well done!

• aliris19
    12 years ago

Julie, I really like the feel of your kitchen. I think many of us responding here have elements that are or feel the same and love it for the camaraderie. I like the backsplash pattern very much - I wonder whether yours was an inspiration for mine since they're so similar? Did you post recently? I don't remember trying to emulate yours but if I'd seen it I sure would have!

I remember seeing the nifty shape you set into the toe kick - very lovely. And of course the soapstone is buttery-liscious. Makes me want to have little beakers to play with.

• andi_k
    12 years ago

Wow, it looks great!

Is that the franklin edge done by Bucks county?

• Emily
    12 years ago

I love it! The whole kitchen looks great!! I just recommended your backsplash to someone else on the forum, I hope you don't mind!! I love that you chose something different besides subway tile, (which I have)! Beautiful!

• flwrs_n_co
    12 years ago

Your backsplash is lovely, and so are your cabs and ss! It all looks great together! Your cabs look like natural cherry, is that right? They're beautiful!

• MIssyV
    12 years ago

oooh....aahh...love the backsplash, and the entire space actually! i just bookmarked your bs :) thanks for sharing!

• enduring
    12 years ago

Beautiful. I love the layout.

• gr8daygw
    12 years ago

Beautiful!

• julieh1926
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks so much everyone! We learned so much from this forum -- I had never actually heard of soapstone before coming onto this board and quickly was convinced. We did use Buck's and it was a perfect experience with them.

Lisa_a -- YES -- we used SW Restrained Gold in our dining room. We actually meant to use Mannered Gold but the painters picked up the wrong shade. No big deal, though,

Andi K: it is a Buck's Franklin edge on our counters. I think we asked them to go light on the Franklin edge, but I absolutely love the edging. It just feels natural.

Our cabs are Kraftmaid natural cherry. I know some people have had issues with Kraftmaid, but a year later and we've had absolutely no problems.

And Aliris -- we were definitely not your inspiration :) I just saw someone's photos the other day who had a very similar backsplash, but it wasn't me. I wish I had seen their bs last year when I first started out looking -- would have saved me dozens of trips to tile stores. I think their tiles were random but all the same size, whereas ours have some thin and thick.

I really wanted marble for the bs and it was very tricky to find one that wasn't too cool. The danby marble has a lot of caramel mixed in with the gray.

Although I'm thrilled to be done with the kitchen (finally), it's a little sad not to have the project to work on. This was a DIY project (save a few hired out areas like counters, floor installation and drywall). Oh well -- tons to do in the house. On to bathrooms and laundry room reconstruction!

• suzanne_sl
    12 years ago

I love the cabinet-counter-backsplash combination! Just perfect.

• tagshovlin
    11 years ago

Your kitchen is beautiful. Are your cabinets natural cherry, or do they have a stain? I love natural cherry, but I'm nervous that I'm not going to like the variations