Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scootermom_gw

Solatubes

scootermom
10 years ago

Hi everyone. I remember seeing a few Solatubes in people's new kitchens over the years, but not so much recently. I'm wondering how the Solatubes are holding up and whether you're having any leaking.

It would be a great solution for a few areas in my home, but leaking would not be good. Thanks!

Chris

Comments (22)

• Bunny
    10 years ago

Chris, I've had this Solatube in the junction of my L-shaped hall for nearly 14 years. 9-ft. ceilings plus it has to go up through my attic space. No leaks, a quality installation. I just took the attached photo, 8:30 a.m. on a very gray day. I shut the doors to adjacent rooms so no light sneaking in through windows. I'm standing at the end of the hall. After all this time, I often forget and think I've left a light on.

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

I've had two in the dining room for 2 years, and have had no problems with leaks. I had them professionally installed (because cutting holes in the roof makes me nervous).

The only picture I have is one I happened to take in the midst of our kitchen remodel, so the dining room itself is a complete disaster, but it's a great example of the impact of the skylights. There are no lights on in this photo, and look at the shadows! The solatubes are on each side of the light fixture (as you can see from the light on the shades).

Before they were installed, there was no way I could sit at the table and read the paper. Now, if the sun is out, we often don't turn on the light to eat supper.

I'm a believer, and just wish I'd done it years sooner.

• Bunny
    10 years ago

My next-door neighbors have about 7 Solatubes in their 1500 sq.ft. single-story house. Theirs are 10+ years old and not a single leak. They're great in a window-less bathroom.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I have 2 for 3 years now. No leaks. They're great. They are also more energy efficient than sky lights as they are sealed at the top and the bottom so little air infiltration.

• crampon
    10 years ago

We had a Solatube with a mechanical shutter (http://shop.solatube.com/daylight-dimmertm-290-ds.html) installed in our bedroom about three years ago. No leaks, and we live in Oregon, so it has seen plenty of moisture.

We replaced a skylight with the Solatube and it has made the bedroom much more comfortable -- both from a temperature point of view, and by cutting down on daylight on summer mornings.

Two thumbs up!

• scrappy25
    10 years ago

5 years, maintenance and headache free. Upstairs hallway is no longer a dark tunnel in the daytime.

• sundownr
    10 years ago

No leaks in the one I have had in the hallway for 4 years.

• pugler
    10 years ago

I had 2 installed 2 years ago and I love them!!! I had them installed to provide light to the downstairs living room and kitchen and cannot tell you what a difference it made!!!

• kam76
    10 years ago

We have had five for 8 years they are great! Esp the one in our windowless bathroom.

• scootermom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Glad to hear such good things. Thanks for sharing thoughts and pictures.

We are repairing our 14-year-old roof right now, and it occurred to me that this might be a good time to add a Solatube to our kids' windowless bathroom and our upstairs hallway...the tubes are a little pricey, but seem to be a worthwhile investment.

• goodbyekitty
    10 years ago

Indeed! No one wants to touch a tile roof, but once we replace the roof in this 1973 ranch I'd like to add a couple of Solatubes in the hallway and main bath. Good to know there are great reviews.

• kam76
    10 years ago

We have had five for 8 years they are great! Esp the one in our windowless bathroom.

• jesshs
    10 years ago

Anybody have a solatube with a metal roof? I have 3 places (hall and 2 baths all without windows) crying out for these but I am not sure if it would be an issue with our roof.

• deedles
    10 years ago

Jess: we're going to have one with our standing seam metal roof. They make kits to accommodate the seams. Ours isn't a Solatube brand, it's from ODL. DH did a lot of research and liked their metal roof setup best.

Also have had one in our current house for nearly 10 years with no problem. Love it!

• tea4all
    10 years ago

We have 4 of them --2 large in our vaulted great room and 2 small ones (1 in the foyer and one in the upstairs hallway). It was literally like night and day when they were installed (probably about ten years ago). It was one of the best decisions we ever made for this house! No problems with them whatsoever.

The only additional thing that you might like to know is that our dog had storm phobia and was terribly scared as lightening flashes show through them.

• azmom
    10 years ago

We have tile roof.

May I ask if you installed the solatubes after the roof was in place? If you did, was there any problem after the installation?

We retiled the roof years ago, missed the opporunity of adding the Solatubes while replacing the roof.

Thank you for the inputs.

• cluelessincolorado
    10 years ago

firsthouse_mp
    is this what you are talking about?

http://www.solatube.com/commercial/smart-led/decorative-fixtures

Here is a link that might be useful: Solotube fixtures

• cluelessincolorado
    10 years ago

Photo four up from bottom of before and afters

Here is a link that might be useful: light

• Bunny
    10 years ago

firsthouse_mp, I hear ya about how they look. In my hall I don't care at all. I'm only passing through and I tend to not look up at the ceiling.

I would have put a couple in my living room, but it has a vaulted ceiling which not only makes them quite more visible, but those faux light options would look silly at an angle. I debated this long and hard and ended up going with a Velux operable skylight in that room instead (same vendor/installer).

Whatever you do, don't get the prism cover. A friend has those in her kitchen and they're awful.

• firstmmo
    10 years ago

Clueless:
    Yeah! That one is not bad. I could do that in a more visible place. Will definitely look into those when I have mine installed.

• firstmmo
    10 years ago

Clueless:
    Yeah! That one is not bad. I could do that in a more visible place. Will definitely look into those when I have mine installed.