Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
itsthedetails

Finally My Kitchen Reveal

itsthedetails
9 years ago

In 2010 we purchased my grandparents 1939 Cape Cod house that they had built for them. We have the original blueprints from when it was built, and it was sold in the 60's to another owner and which we purchased it from them. The kitchen was remodeled in the 70's, with original floor plan in place. We soon realized that we would have to remove the wall between the kitchen and dining room, to make the kitchen function better. Remodel started in spring 2013, and what seem like forever to get done. We did everything ourselves except the counters and some electrical.

Cabinets - Lowe's Schuler New Haven Maple White Icing
Counters - Soapstone ( it was just marked Brazil )
Appliances - GE Cafe, Sharp Microwave Drawer, Edge Star Beverage Cooler
Lighting - Pottery Barn Paxton Lights
Backsplash - Allen & Roth Polished Subway Tile
Hardware - Lowe's
Sink - American Standard Brand New from Habitat Humanity ($10.00)
Faucet - Price Pfister Brand New from Habitat Humanity ($30.00)
Flooring - Original Fir plank under layment we sanded and stained.

This is are fourth kitchen remodel and it will be our last. Things that I would have done different, I wish we had put a filler board between the microwave and beverage cooler, to me it looks crowded. The filler on the right of the fridge cabinet was suppose to be smaller, but the gas for the stove was over an inch over more then anticipated, so everything shifted to the right.

This post was edited by ItsTheDetails on Fri, Oct 31, 14 at 11:48

Comments (127)

• itsthedetails
    Original Author
    9 years ago

kitandkaboodle - The cabinet measures 24" and has stationary shelves behind the doors. The bottom drawers I use for bread, chips, and other food items. I do have Blum Restrictor stops in the soft close hinges, so the door wont bang the wall. The refrigerator is a cabinet depth. I was worried if I put the refrigerator next to the wall, even with filler board next to the wall, if it would still hit the wall.

• TxMarti
    9 years ago

It's wonderful! I'm sure your grandparents would be proud. I love the way you framed out the opening over the bar. It really makes it all fit together. Love your colors too. Do you mind sharing where you found the backsplash tile? Brick & mortar store or online?

This post was edited by marti8a on Wed, Nov 5, 14 at 23:53

• kitandkaboodle
    9 years ago

Thank you for the information about the tall cabinet and providing a photo of the storage inside. A picture truly is worth a 1000 words! I hadn't thought about the fridge door opening into the wall so the tall cabinet certainly solves that problem while providing tons of storage. I'm also considering stacked cabinets like yours that go to the ceiling, with a simple crown molding at the top. You have a lovely, inviting, and functional kitchen. Thanks for sharing.

• dahoov2
    9 years ago

Wow; very pretty! The woodwork makes it look very nice and the glass cabinets give it that cape cod feel the house was based on. So does the color scheme. Nice job.

• itsthedetails
    Original Author
    9 years ago

marti8a - Thank you for the compliments, the tile came from Lowe's...link below. Once installed it turned out much darker, I think it had to do with the adhesive I used.

Here is a link that might be useful: Allen & Roth Venatino Polished Natural Stone Mosaic Subway Wall Tile

• claga
    9 years ago

Your kitchen looks really nice,
    Congratulations!!!
    Could not help but noticing the rectangle dining table.
    Would you mind telling us where you purchased it?

Thanks

• cobbyw
    9 years ago

how high are your ceilings?

• itsthedetails
    Original Author
    9 years ago

claga - The table was purchased off of craigslist, which the original owner had purchased it at a antique/vintage retail shop.

• itsthedetails
    Original Author
    9 years ago

cobbyw - The ceilings are 8' 2", we lowered the ceiling about an 1.5" when we installed the plank ceiling.

• intelinside1
    9 years ago

where'd you get those lights? link?

• tinker1121
    9 years ago

They look like these from Pier One. Very nice.

Here is a link that might be useful: pier one pendant light

• itsthedetails
    Original Author
    9 years ago

yorkiemiki - The lights are Pottery Barn Paxton Pendant lights, link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pottery Barn Paxton Pendant Lights

• amj0517
    9 years ago

Lovely kitchen and story behind it.

Can you tell me about your bar stools? They look similar to some I was looking at from Ballard Designs. Where are yours from? Are you happy with them?

TIA!

• itsthedetails
    Original Author
    9 years ago

amj0517 - I was about to purchase them online at World Market when I thought I would search craigslist and about 30 miles away someone had just posted two of them for sale. I purchased them for $50.00 each. They are from World Market, link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: World Market Twist Swivel Stool

• Kari R
    9 years ago

Love your lights, they are the same ones I have picked for our kitchen remodel. Do they give adequate light? I am thinking of putting the large fixture over my 10 ft island.

• queenofmycastle0221
    9 years ago

Love it!

• itsthedetails
    Original Author
    9 years ago

kmicheller- I have edison bulbs in the Pottery Barn Paxton 8 lights over my dining room table and it is 7ft in length and provides adequate lighting. The single pendant lights that I have over the sink and peninsula don't put out a lot of light with the edison bulbs. I have under cabinet led lighting, led lighting in the glass cabinets and six can lights in the ceiling, which make up for the pendant lights.

• deegw
    9 years ago

ItsTheDetails - Your kitchens is really lovely. My kitchen also has 8 foot ceilings and your kitchen is the first one I've seen that doesn't have that cramped look that I associate with 8 foot ceilings. Did you do any deliberate design tricks to make your ceilings appear taller?

Your uppers look standard size but you also have plenty of space between the counters and cabinets. Are the uppers slightly shorter or narrower than standard? I see that your window is right to the ceiling, which is a good trick to draw the eye up. It looks like the glass on the top of the uppers also helps keep things open.

Are there any other things that you did to help make your ceiling look more spacious?

• itsthedetails
    Original Author
    9 years ago

deee - Thank you so much for your kind words. The window is where it was originally was. The wall cabinets I could have chosen wider ones which might of made it not look so tall. The upper small cabinets are 12" and the lower ones are 30", total 42" and they are all one cabinet. The distance between the counters and cabinet measures 18". The ceiling color is close to what the cabinet color, which might make it look higher.

The funny thing is we did one plank ceiling, and attached it right to the original ceiling, which showed how un-level the ceiling was. So we left that one installed and installed another one right over that adding shims where needed to level it out. So it is even lower then originally planned.

This post was edited by ItsTheDetails on Mon, Dec 15, 14 at 6:34

• Aprilblossom
    9 years ago

Hi, Beautiful Kitchen, I'm about to start my remodel after the Holidays. I would like to ask a few questions.
    1. Do you love your soapstone? I want it so much and have my heart set on it and hoping not to be dissapointed.
    2. Do you love your beadboard ceiling? It's beautiful and adds so much character!
    3. What type of flooring did you put in?
    4. Any advice on setting up a makeshift kitchen to get through the remodel?
    Thanks in advance for any replies.
    Judy M
    Sonoma, Ca

• iamerikandersson
    9 years ago

Lovely renovation of kitchen!! I love the cabinets so much and the backsplash. So much wonderful natural light from the big window with the added perfecting lighting in the kitchen to compliment the natural light.

• User
    9 years ago

Aprilblossom, I should think your question deserves a thread of its own. That way, the responses to this very important question can be featured to stand alone.

You will of course post here with a link to your new thread I hope. Once I see it, I'll try to tell you what I've learned so far, since I'm in the throes of a remodel/addition upheaval as we speak.

• itsthedetails
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Aprilblossom - I do love the soapstone, I also was scared that I would be disappointed. Nothing has happen to it yet, no scratches, no marks at all. I have waxed it several times.
    The beadboard ceiling was a easy way to cover up the cracked plaster ceiling, and I love how it adds so much character.
    The flooring in the kitchen is actually the original under-layment wood flooring that we sanded and stained. It originally had linoleum, with carpet on top of that.
    As far as a makeshift kitchen, we left our sink until the very end to remove, we removed the cabinet and held the sink up with 2x4's. We had a folding table in the dining room for the microwave, and we ate a lot of fast food and crock pot meals. Good luck, can't wait to see your post on your kitchen remodel.

• aliceinjersey
    9 years ago

Love this beautiful kitchen! It's one of my favs on this forum.

I'm ordering my Schuler cabs soon and just decided on the drawer microwave. Can you tell me the depth of the drawer below the microwave? Also the dimensions of the cabinet at the end of the peninsula (to the right of the beverage fridge)?

TIA

• User
    9 years ago

I too liked the microwave drawer, and have it on hand for the cabinetmaker to measure. It is still in the box. I was persuaded by this kitchen reveal to go ahead and get it now, and get rid of the clunky countertop Sharp m/w-convection oven. My new range has a convection oven, and the Breville smart convection toaster oven is a second one, so out goes that Sharp. It was so crowded to reach inside to retrieve a container, and I truly hate a turntable....so unsteady.

• catkin
    9 years ago

Itsthedetails I love your kitchen, too!

Do you recall how long you waited to grout after you'd used the Omnigrip? Thanks! I've been envisioning a backsplash like yours and even saved a popular photo seen on the net that's similar.

How do you think the adhesive changed the colors of the tiles?

Would you mind naming which colors appear in your light/darker tiles? Thanks so much for answering all these questions!

• Kelli Culpepper
    9 years ago

Excellent job and fantastic story. I love all your choices. We recently bought a 1905 Victorian Farmhouse - have it down to studs. We have much the same taste. I am so eager to get soapstone! I just can't wait!

Are you completely thrilled with your Cafe fridge? I'm so trying not to splurge and get a Subzero and it's just not going well. How was Lowe's to work with on the cabinets? I love the Vboard on the ceiling - we are going to do that on all the ceilings downstairs.

You did a great job sharing your info on what you guys did. Thanks!!!

• itsthedetails
    Original Author
    9 years ago

aliceinjersey - Thank you so much...The microwave drawer inside depth is about 21" , the inside is 8 1/2" tall, the drawer front measures 11 1/2" high, and is 24" wide. The cabinet was ordered as "Base Microwave Cabinet - Large Drawer BW24LD". The cabinet to the right of the beverage fridge is 9" wide, cabinet ordered (Base FHD 24" Deep BFH09-R). The cabinet has a shelf in the middle, I use it for my cookie sheets and cake pans.

• itsthedetails
    Original Author
    9 years ago

catkin - I waited about a week before I grouted. I didn't seal the tile before installing, and the tile appeared to be darker after install. The colors are mostly grays, dark and light, there is some browns in some of them - like in the photo attached. If you look in my post above, I posted a photo of the tile still in packaging, the tile in the packaging is lighter then the tile already installed. Thank you for your kind words, and good luck on tiling,

• itsthedetails
    Original Author
    9 years ago

kelliq81 - Thank you...Lowe's was great to work with, we order them after several visits to the store, we would go home and re- measure a couple of times to make sure everything was correct.

The GE Cafe Cabinet depth fridge is great, but it is not for a large family, we have the beverage fridge for beverages, and we have another full size fridge in our basement that we plugged in for all the leftovers at Thanksgiving.

Good luck on your Victorian Home, I lived in a brand new house before we moved here, and I would rather live in a old house with all its character. I love the ceiling idea for all downstairs, I am trying to talk my husband into coffered ceiling with planking for my dining room.

• Kim
    9 years ago
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>Itsthedetails, I showed my daughter your pictures and it has become her inspiration picture for her future remodel. Her kitchen/dinning room is almost identical to yours and she wants to open up the wall between just like yours with the peninsula and casing around rather than a flush ceiling. My question to you though is for me
  • itsthedetails
    Original Author
    9 years ago

KimSig - Here is the full view of the Pottery Barn Paxton Light over the dining room table.

• Kim
    9 years ago

Thank you soo much, it really is a beautiful light!

• three3apples
    9 years ago

Love your farmhouse table, chairs, stools, tile and ceiling beadboard or shiplap (can't tell which from photo). Congratulations.

• madtown_2006_gw
    9 years ago

Wow, it's so lovely. In fact, everything you've shown, including the DR, is so beautiful! Great job. You must be so happy :-)

• amh615
    9 years ago

Beautiful job! I love all of your choices.

• aliceinjersey
    9 years ago

Details - thanks for being so generous with your information. We were at Lowes today showing the KD your photos - he loved that you provided me part numbers for the cabs! I was customer of the week!

We want to mimic the panel and column detail at the end of the peninsula. Can you share information on that? The KD attempted to recreate it by adding two door panels and a fluted column but I'm not sure he nailed it.

Thanks again.

• itsthedetails
    Original Author
    9 years ago

aliceinjersey - It is nice to hear you had a great experience with your KD, we had great KD at Lowe's too! The peninsula was made by my husband, the backside was a pony wall (2 x 4 short wall). He made the panels on the peninsula to match the cabinets, they were made out of just smooth plywood, and trim. Lowe's matched the paint of the cabinets, which I used to paint the peninsula and crown trim on the cabinets. I hope that helps...good luck on your remodel!

• aliceinjersey
    9 years ago

Oh your hubby did a great job with those panels!

Thanks again.

• Aprilblossom
    9 years ago

Hi there, itsTheDetails, What type of soapstone did you get and do you have any picturesof it? We went to a stone yard yesterday in San Fran, its so hard to choose one, very nervous, HELP!

• itsthedetails
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Aprilblossom - The soapstone was just marked "Brazil", I know it is a harder soapstone. I do wax it, and have no scratches or marks on it yet, installed in July 2014. Good luck....it was the hardest decision I had to make for the remodel.

• glassquilt
    9 years ago

Love that you have the family house.
    Your kitchen is gorgeous.

• joealati
    9 years ago

What a great job you did on this project especially meaningful given the history. I am curious as to what you mean by underpayment for the flooring? Did you put fir underlayment stained and nailed down or you put fir over the underlayment?Did you sand it? What did you use for the final fin9sh over the stain. I have been using the water based Streetshoe in my home and it works great but in a kitchen not sure how it will hold up over time.

• itsthedetails
    Original Author
    9 years ago

joealati - The kitchen floor had carpet, and linoleum under that. We tore up the linoleum and there was original tongue and groove fir wood underlayment - it appeared that they had that installed for the linoleum to be glue to. The dining room has oak floors, we sanded both rooms and stained with dark walnut oil based stain, and Varathane polyurethane water base. The kitchen floor is a softer wood and does scratch easier, then the oak floor in the dining room. Both floors are level at the transition with each other.

• christina923
    9 years ago

stunning remodel! what a cool story about your home too!!

I see what you are saying about the micro/beverage fridge. what throws me off is that the stainless is not even across the top. I would look for a way to put a stainless molding above the fridge to match the height of the micro, or do the whole area above micro/fridge in stainless to "tie" it together as a unit.

• 19kev77
    8 years ago

Great work. And very inspiring for my own similar space.

You said you have a 41 1/2" x 72" peninsula. From Kitchen side, would the width measure 24" (to back of cabinets) and 17 1/2" to dining room edge?

How far does the width of the peninsula go beyond the dining room wall face? I'd like to know more about how the peninsula was built. Was it framed off of the kitch base cabinets to give you the full size peninsula?

Any detailed dimensions you can provide; knee room, width, pony wall widths..etc, would be very helpful for my own situation.

Again. great work.

Thanks,

Kev.

itsthedetails thanked 19kev77
  • itsthedetails
    Original Author
    8 years ago

19kev77 - The countertop is 41 1/2" x 72", the cabinets (24") and the pony wall faced (7") and then the little sides on the peninsula about (9") so it is about 9" into the dining room. The ponywall was built and screwed to the floor, then the cabinets were screwed to it, we left behind the mini fridge open in the pony wall so there is room for the air to travel within the wall, just in case it was to get hot, it does vent from the front. The knee room is perfect with the countertop overhang at 9 1/2". My husband made the side panels around the peninsula to match the cabinets, and I had paint made to match the cabinets. I hope that helps...

• 77papillon77
    8 years ago

Both this kitchen and your previous kitchen are beautiful! I'm in the cabinet search locally and am wondering how Lowes compared in price and quality to Precision Cabinets you used first time around? Thanks for all the inspiration!

itsthedetails thanked 77papillon77
  • itsthedetails
    Original Author
    8 years ago

77papillon77 - Thank you for the wonderful comment. The Lowes Cabinets have been great and have no complaints. We had a issue with a door, but they replaced it with no questions asked, they didn't even want to see the door. I am not sure if the cabinets were Precision Cabinets, the cabinets that we tore out were very heavy duty, just outdated and we needed to remove the wall to make the kitchen bigger.