Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mary_in_nc

Inspiring GW Kitchens

mary_in_nc
13 years ago

So, I am curious, which kitchens from GW inspired you the most when you were planning and designing your own kitchen? For me, there were three: Tito's kitchen- http://finishedkitchens.blogspot.com/2007/12/titos-kitchen.html , Collen's : http://finishedkitchens.blogspot.com/2007/12/coleen3201118s-kitchen.html, and my all time favorite GW kitchen Orchidluvr's (see below). I am looking forward to reading your responses!

Here is a link that might be useful: Orchidluvr's kitchen

Comments (38)

• dianalo
    13 years ago

I have enjoyed so many that it is absolutely impossible to single out the best ones.
    I see new kitchens each week that amaze me with their beauty and functionality, but the closest to what I want to accomplish in our modest kitchen is by jgarner.

Here is a link that might be useful: jgarner's kitchen

• kitchenaddict
    13 years ago

Hi mary...

I love looking at the inspirations of others..When I decided on dark cabinets I stumbled upon Mairin's kitchen. It definitly inspired mine!

KA:)

Here is a link that might be useful: Mairin's kitchen

• nikit
    13 years ago

For us, firsthouse_mp's kitchen is an amazing inspiration. So many beautiful and well-chosen details!

Here is a link that might be useful: firsthouse_mp kitchen

• melaska
    13 years ago

rhome410 is my inspiration to not be afraid to mix my finishes. I wanted light, medium & darker but I didn't know how to integrate that until I saw her kitchen. She also greatly helped me in my kitchen layout (THANK YOU!!!) She cooks like I used to; we are empty nesters now but I still like the same organization & functionality that she has in her kitchen. Here are a few of her pics - link below for the whole album.

Here is a link that might be useful: rhome410's kitchen photo album

• mary_in_nc
    Original Author
    13 years ago

This is great! All these kitchens make me go, "Wow". Each could be in a magazine or book!

dianalo- jgarner's kitchen was also on my inspiration list! Loved all the details!

• joan2121
    13 years ago

I have so many favorites- it's hard to begin.
    We bought this house in Annapolis when we still lived in FL. So I had 6 months of planning the reno before we moved up here. GW was great!! My first inspiration was back in October 09 when I saw cali_wendy's picture. I saw that kitchen and said "we can do that! Just have to take down a few walls, move some windows and doors..." DH finally agreed!

Here are some of my inspirations pics. Couldn't get all of the pictures to post. I'll try again. I have sooo many!

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{gwi:1467847}}

jbrodie-love your kitchen!
    jseeenc- so many ideas from your kitchen! Love it! And thanks for your help along the way
    buehl- started the idea of window to the counter. The windows went in the other day, and unfortunately, couldn't come all the way to the counter- because they looked funny at the top. They will be about 2 inches above the granite. but still look great!
    erikanh- windows over the sink run-WOW
    katieob- Oh your kitchen! Love the marble and soapstone
    positano Love it all!
    Firsthouse- my dream kitchen- so light and airy
    Mamadadapaige Love your island- Your layout is like mine, and love your cabinet between family room and eating area- I am copying that! Also, your window and corner cab.
    Thanks to all of you for the inspiration. I know there are more, but I didn't always copy the name with the picture.
    I put about pictures in a folder and had them printed at Walgrens! Was a great resource for architect, KD, nd GC (erikanh, your picture is hung right next to the plans for the window installer to follow!)

• elizpiz
    13 years ago

Orchidluvr's, for sure! It was the kitchen that brought me to GW (for which I am grateful). Plus Allison0704's gorgeous French Grey kitchen, which I found first on Atticmag. I so wanted to replicate that island! She has the most beautiful home as well.

Eliz

Here is a link that might be useful: Allison0704's kitchen

• rhome410
    13 years ago

I had my kitchen mostly planned when I hit here. Lascatx definitely helped encourage my colorful choices...and the fact that she had done likewise before me, I guess, makes hers one of my inspirations. Besides another that I saw locally that included river rocks in the backsplash, the GW kitchen that helped me know how I wanted my to feel was Snagd's. Sunny, warm, welcoming, with finishes that weren't too sleek or hard-edged. --Like a place you'd be happy to never leave. :-) I think I could curl up and take a nap on that sun-warmed island! Definitely a 'barefoot' kitchen.

• elizpiz
    13 years ago

Oooh RHome - thks for posting that kitchen - it's one I haven't seem before. Gorgeous - like yours :-)

Eliz

• blondie859111
    13 years ago

Oh, I just love this thread. I often wondered, before I met you all, if I was "normal" for spending hours on end looking at kitchen pictures!

• rhome410
    13 years ago

Are you kidding, Blondie? You'll notice that a lot of us are finished with our kitchens and are still here! That's what TKO (Totally Kitchen Obsessed) is all about, and why we gather here where others understand. ;-) I never get tired of looking at wonderful kitchens, and many of the best are here, for sure.

Thanks so much for the compliments, Eliz and Melaska!

• positano
    13 years ago

Joan2121- thanks for the shout out!

Some of my favorites are orchidluvr, mamadadapaige,erikanh,katieob,caliwendi,hoffman,segbrown,blakey,jrdip,mrslimestone,alliern and of course Jbrodie.

This site has been such a great inspiration! Great thread!

Here are some pictures!
    Erikanh

Cali wendi

JBrodie

Mrs. Limestone

Segbrown

Katieob

Blakey

Hoffman

alliern

• positano
    13 years ago

And Mary in nc- I always loved your kitchen! I thought of a couple others too. There are so many!
    mary in nc

Rmkitchen, redroze, willowdecor and that fabulous butlers pantry

Redroze

niffy

tearose21

rmkitchen

• irishcreamgirl
    13 years ago

I wish I had seen more kitchens here before I started but I am happy with mine so far. (I'm struggling with cabinet hardware, backsplash, and wallcolor)

But I could stare at shanghaimom's kitchen all day. I don't know how to include a picture but here is her finished kitchen thread.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shanghaimom's Finished Kitchen thread

• Buehl
    13 years ago

No one kitchen inspired my kitchen, except maybe a Kitchen on the Omega site. As far as finishes are concerned, I pretty much knew what I wanted b/f I found this site...except my countertop. I was planning on quartz b/c I thought all granite had to be sealed...and had to be sealed every month or two! I now have granite - AB Premium!

What I got the most help with here is my layout...and it is so, so appreciated! The layout help was the biggest impact/change based on comments here and is the only reason, I think, that my kitchen is so functional! (Thank you for showing me an island really doesn't fit in an 11' kitchen!)

All that being said, there were a few that inspired individual things like....

Fothia's bay window: Fothia's Kitchen in the Gallery

SharB's pantry: SharB's Kitchen in the FKB

Jodi_in_so_calif's backsplash (even though I haven't done mine yet...life and life's expenses keep getting in the way! Now it's a trip to Europe next summer for my DS with his high school's jazz band!): Jodi's Backsplash in this thread

LindyBart's Bar stools

The kitchen on the Omega site & in the catalog:

Last, NewHomeBuilder's hutch is a future inspiration for a hutch in my DR:

• willowdecor
    13 years ago

Thanks so much for the call out - not sure how to add pictures of the pantry so here is the link.

Love so many of these kitchens - I have saved this thread. You all are so talented and inspiring.
    xx-Willow

Here is a link that might be useful: Willow's Pantry

• red_eared_slider86
    13 years ago

I had already pinpointed my inspiration kitchens when I found GW. This Old World kitchen that I found at kitchens.com was my ultimate inspiration:

I like the dark woods and the stone and the earthiness of it.

I did not realize how popular white kitchens are until I found GW and really started paying attention. My old kitchen had white formica countertops and a white tile floor, so I knew I didn't want white; I guess that's why I didn't pay much attention to them.

But seeing so many pretty white kitchens makes me think that I may do one when we retire and downsize to a smaller house. So many GW'ers have such impeccable taste!

• rookie_2010
    13 years ago

I love this thread. My kitchen is a mix of two things: my interpretation of Christopher Peacock-inspired and most of the kitchens mentioned above. I found GW after my floor and cabs were ordered so this site was such a blessing when it came to the details like counters, hardware size, paint color and lighting.
    I love Jbrodie's kitchen and Tearose's and Erikanh's and Arlomom's and katieob's....I could go on all day!!

• gbsim1
    13 years ago

Ohhhh..... (waving hand wildly) Am I the first to say that I believe that I wore out the link when I was looking at Erikanh's kitchen last year for the first time.

If there were ever an auction fundraiser where you could buy an hour visiting and having coffee in Erikanh's kitchen, I think that many of us would be bidding for the chance to be there!

Here is a link that might be useful: Erikanh's kitchen photos

• doonie
    13 years ago

All of these kitchens are gorgeous and so fun to see on one thread. Allison's French Gray kitchen is one of my favorites (as well as the rest of her home.)

Elizpiz kitchen was one of my inspirations for its softness and her great solution to adding light to a narrow kitchen:
    {{!gwi}}

This is an old GW poster LA Tuscan Kitchen. Once again I am drawn to its warm softness.
    {{!gwi}}

And Zolablues lovely kitchen:

{{!gwi}}

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

Rhome was a big inspiration. She just did what was good for her and didn't play by the rule book.

Rmkitchen's white kitchen really moved me in the "white" direction. Har-har.

Segbrown, I bow down and worship your kitchen! Actually consulted your pics to figure out cabinet pull sizes.

Alliern's knotty alder island stole my heart...although I couldn't convince husband on that wood species. Still, an inspiration.

Billyc's inspired me to do something that will stand out.

Trailrunner definitely inspired me in the marble and soapstone departments.

Scottielee's inspired me to do something a little interesting with the backsplash.

Redroze inspired me towards clean and simple.

Jsweenc made me really contemplate plugmold!

Momto4kids made me jealous of her huge work space!

Firsthouse and Shanghaimom's came after I bought stuff/under construction but loved every minute of their kitchens.

There are quite a few more but my list is getting long and I can't remember all of the names! Cotehele for sure. And everyone who had bold pops of colors in their cabinets, ranges and backsplashes. And everyone who had single pulls on large drawers!

Katiebob and that marble!!!

Igloochic's originality.

• beekeeperswife
    13 years ago

I was brought to this site by a search on Google for "Bianco Antico", it led right to Redroze's kitchen. Once seeing that countertop, I was in love. I took from her the clean clutter free approach to my new kitchen.

I went with the crystal chandeliers in my kitchen after seeing them in design magazines, and I thought, why not.

I have saved this thread, because you never know, someday there might be another kitchen in my future, and this thread is full of so many fab kitchens that I didn't find in time.

Thanks to all.

• rhome410
    13 years ago

I have saved this thread, because you never know, someday there might be another kitchen in my future, and this thread is full of so many fab kitchens that I didn't find in time.

I have SO many of the GW kitchens saved in my inspiration kitchens file 'just in case' I ever do another kitchen.

The warm and comfortable feeling of Cohetele's space always calls to me.

So many 'smart layouts' I've saved that will fit differently oriented spaces.

Elizpiz did what I just barely headed in the direction of when I changed color schemes...More organic, more let-the-outside-in. I wish I'd known how to take those extra steps you seemed to have accomplished. But I can't start that, because we all know that 1 change begets a chain of many more! But if there's a next kitchen, it will have more window, as many of my favorites do...and it will be bumped out!

Sabjimata, your words are...wow...amazing to hear/read. The highest praise. Thank you.

• xc60
    13 years ago

My house is just in the electrical stage, so not even at drywall yet. But my favorite inspirational kitchens would belong to kitchenaddicts, shellly_k, beekeeperswife, srg215, and redroze. I love love love their kitchens.

• homeagain
    13 years ago

Wow, I see so many of my favorites here. Our kitchen is a future endeavor. We are waiting for our current home to sell so that we can start building our "dream home". Every time I think I know what I want it to look like I open one of these finished kitchen threads and see one of these beautiful all white/soapstone kitchens and change my mind all over again !

The ones Doonie posted above along with Segbrowns and Rhomes are where I am currently leaning in design elements. A mixture of cabinet styles and finishes with lots of light; soapstone, wood and granite counters, ORB fixtures.

So many decisions, too much time....

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

Rhome, originally what I typed about your kitchen included some borderline expletives...but then my computer crashed so I took it as a sign that I was too enthusiastic/over the top for GW ;) LOL.

• sayde
    13 years ago

PrettyKitty's Lacanche kitchen inspired me to split my four ganged leaded glass cabinets and put them on either side of the hood/range. ArlosMom inspired me to stay true to the character of the house and to find something other than stainless steel for the hood. ElizPiz showed me how great materials like wood, soapstone and stone (great backsplash!) look together. Mamadadapaige's Taconic Range hood is the shape I have chosen. I am also going to use the backsplash tile that she used -- the Walker Zanger Gramercy Park -- thank you Elizpiz, Pretty Kitty, Arlosmom and Mamadadapaige! I hope you are enjoying your kitchens!!!

Thank you Rococogurl for all the pictures you have posted -- I'm going to have a set of nine botanicals on one wall, inspired by one of your postings. Thank you Allison for turning me on to the nuanced colors like the French Grey on your island -- that will always be "your" color.

Thank you to everyone who gave me suggestions for the floor. (I finally found my inspiration in Axel Vervoordt's Timeless Interiors).

And thank you to Buffalotina and many others who talked me through my Blue Star anxieties and paved the way for all of us who are ordering now.

• byronroad
    13 years ago

We repainted (DIY) our kitchen cabinets white with a hint of gray 10 years ago and put in a white 4x4 tile backsplash. We already had a white with green and blue specks laminate floor. When we finally had the money to redo the kitchen (just completed in Sept.) we were planning to go with stained maple cabinets because that is what trends dictated, that is what we were "supposed" to do in our area. But we wanted to stay with white (more creamy actually) with white subway backsplash. The floors are now hardwood. Thanks to this site, the FKB and everybody here who are so firm in what they want to do, we went again with white. We have had white for 10 years and I can't envision anything else and thanks to you guys, I had the confidence to say to our KD, we're sticking with white because it's what we like. So thanks to all the posted white kitchens which I love, everyone last one of them. (My KD got tired of my saying "But this kitchen forum that I go on says this...") Oh my husband wants to know why am I still buying kitchen magazines and still talking to you guys. He doesn't get it.

• allison0704
    13 years ago

Thank you Elizpiz, doonie and sayde. GW members own many of the best kitchens on the internet.

I discovered GW researching ranges, so my kitchen was set. Probably a good thing! Although I have plenty of ammo ready if we ever build again.

• cali_wendy
    13 years ago

I stumbled across GW when I was researching appliances. Wow, what a remarkable site that I learned so, SO, SO much from. I found inspiration from dozens and dozens of GW kitchens, but a few that stand out for me are:

Rickish

Segbrown

Charlie123

mdmc

And, two that I LOVE but came after my own are:

jbrodie (see above)

shanghaimom

There are so many others that I have drooled over. I've had pantry envy, hutch envy, ceiling envy and so much more. Even though the ability to implement features wasn't always possible, it is really the inspiration to apply even a small detail that you love to create a kitchen that you can enjoy, no matter how small or grand.

Thank you to EVERYONE who spends time posting and answering questions. Without it, my kitchen would have never been possible. My sincere thanks.

And thank you to those who have been inspired by my kitchen. Wow. Who would have thought? Not me. I am truly humbled.

• babs711
    13 years ago

So many of my own inspirations I'm using for our upcoming build are listed above. I had already saved so many for inspiration and reference.

I've seen a lot above that I've never seen before and can't find when doing a search and they aren't in the FKB either. Why is that? I'd love more details on some of them! How do we find the details for these kitchens like tearose21, niffy, katieob. Erikanh's wasn't searchable or in the FKB either. Luckily someone had a link saved. Is there a way to get these fantastic kitchens updated into the FKB?

I'm loving this kitchen eye-candy!

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

I think Pharoah's kitchen should be here, partly for sheer gutsiness and partly because it has an unabashedly unique muse that I find remarkable. There is no single shot of it that shows all the details. Follow the Snapfish slideshow toward the right-hand end to find the amazing fossil fish wall installed after the earlier photos--it's just to the right of the live fish tanks embedded in the wall of cabinetry. There's counterpoint of showy stone and rough slates, dark areas and light emitting areas, artistic and utilitarian. The color subtleties are thoughtful. The cabinet styling is attractive and has those peekhole windows at top that give depth and wealth at the same time. Stainless steel is a design element. Although there are high-end products here, it doesn't look like a sales photo and the commercial products are mere parts of a bigger picture.

And...it's all a labor of love and craftsmanship done by the owners. I can't think of a better example of creative thinking and hard work on a kitchen.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pharaoah's kitchen

• mary_in_nc
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow, soooo many great kitchens! We are all truly blessed and fortunate to be living in these wonderful and inspiring spaces. Each belongs on the front of a magazine! Hmmm, wouldn't that be a great endeavor- "Best of GW Kitchens". The book would be huge!

• brickton
    13 years ago

There are so many kitchens here that I love but the one that stands out the most as being 'THAT! That is what I want!' would have to be from caoh.

But honorable mention would have to go to Jsweenc:

• shelayne
    13 years ago

Just shoot me NOW! I am not even done with my kitchen, and I want to scrap it and start over. The FIRST thing I want is CaliWendy's WINDOW!

Then I want Elizpiz's or Doonie's ceiling widow's peak. Then FORK OVER Willowdecor's butler's pantry! And that absolutely incredible custom hood in Vicky's vacay home? Yeah--MINE!

I have only begun to rebuild (alas, only in my head). I need to start off with a few hundred more square feet, please. I don't dare look for any mudrooms off the kitchen, as that is something I absolutely covet right now, and I might tear my hair out if I see one I must have. ;^)

*sigh*

Truly, GW has some of the most beautiful kitchens--EVER! If I would have found GW BEFORE I started the remodel, I would have loved to have any of these kitchens for inspiration. You ALL are amazing!

• mary_in_nc
    Original Author
    13 years ago

BUMP!

• silvergirl426_gw
    12 years ago

BUMP!