Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print

Comments (87)

• dccurlygirl
    11 years ago

nycbluedevil, would you post a picture of your floorplan, with your kitchen as it relates to the rest of your rooms? I love to see these transformations in context. Thanks!

• nycbluedevil
    Original Author
    11 years ago

dccurlygirl

I only have a floorplan of the kitchen. Would that help?

I worked with a kitchen designer on the kitchen part of it and then just told my contractor what to do on the other part. So the KD did the floor plan of the kitchen only.

• taggie
    11 years ago

This is such a pretty kitchen, I really love all the glass against the walnut. Just beautiful.

• michoumonster
    11 years ago

nycbd, you have fabulous taste!! i have loved your baths in the bath forums too!
    your kitchen is so classicly gorgeous!
    btw, what is that stainless steel device in one of your pics? is it a grill or toaster?

• nycbluedevil
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the compliments all!

Michou--the piece you are talking about is a chrome Sunbeam toaster circa 1930! It is fully manual. You put the toast in and flip the basket halfway through. There is a guy who sells antique toasters at a local flea market. I have stalked his booth for a year. One day, I saw this piece which was in really mint condition and I grabbed it. If you look carefully, you can see the scroll work on the front of it. I put the plug away in a drawer so that it doesn't detract from the conversation piece that this is.

I love vintage appliances and am trying to track down an original beehive glass blender too.

• michoumonster
    11 years ago

oh that is such a neat hobby! what a wonderful device! though i would definitely have burnt toast if i used that! lol!

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

NYCBD - That is looking great! Loved the new pictures and of course the Waterstone faucets!
    I can't wait to see your final reveal with the Beehive lights! They sound really cool!

As far as the bathroom - well, we went way over budget on the kitchen, so have to snag some more cash. I plan to retire from my current position at the end of the year and will be hunting contract positions around the country.

If I end up in NY, will have to give you a buzz. Wow - this could be fun - I can try to link up with GW when I travel and see all of the wonderful kitchens!

Of course, I have to find jobs first.

• nycbluedevil
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That would be fun a2 because we seem to have a lot in common like Ann Arbor, biking and if course, spending too much money on home renovations!

• dccurlygirl
    11 years ago

I'd love to see the kitchen floorplan! Thank you!!

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

NYC - road or dirt? For GWebbers - bicycle talk - since it is NYC post, only hijacking from NYC.
    Where did all the $$ go - good thing DH hasn't figured it out completely - I did let him know overbudget - but we added the pull out and the pocket door...
    Supposed to be warm and windy on Sunday - i'll take the warm and send the wind somewhere else

• nycbluedevil
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Road for me. I do my 20 miles in Central Park most mornings before work. What a great way to start the day!

Electrician came today and hooked up most of the lights. Now we are just waiting for our beehive pendants, the calacatta subway backsplash, refinishing the dining room floor and a finish coat of paint. Then we will be done, just in time for the kids to come home for Thanksgiving.

Dc, I don't know how to post the floor plan. I have it in PDF so I can email it to you if you can tell me how to reach you.

• kaysd
    11 years ago

That is a seriously gorgeous kitchen. I love the inset walnut cabinets with matching interiors, shapely hood and yummy marble. I can't wait to see the final reveal.

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

NYC - we are mostly roadies also but tend to go a bit further.
    Do you run also - had friends show up for the canceled marathon..

We need some pictures of your lights.

I scanned my floor plan into the my computer and then it was a jpeg and I could upload as a picture.

• nycbluedevil
    Original Author
    11 years ago

A 2. Do you ever do bike trips? We do one with Backroads every summer. Great trips and miles. We have done some century rides on them. Just did northern Vermont this past summer. We averaged about 50 or so miles a day with some giant climbs. Sounds like you might like them. The trips in Europe are great too.

I wish those beehive lights would come already. If you google chameleon lighting beehive clear you can see them. They are really cool..

Now I have to figure out the window seat cushion and window treatment.

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

We do some BAC trips including one to Spain.

How about a picture of the window seat

• nycbluedevil
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Bumping this for Roberta.

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

NYCBD - not sure if you are visiting GW - but I posted my final kitchen pictures a few weeks ago and was hoping you might take a peak...
    Next is our bathroom but have to figure out a funding plan...
    Thanks

• nycbluedevil
    Original Author
    11 years ago

A2--I did look at your pics when you posted a few weeks back. I had a last minute business trip abroad and then I tried to post but lost the Internet connection and never came back to it. Sorry about that.

I love your kitchen. I love everything about it, from the granite to the backsplash that I know you agonized over, to the wood floor, to the window seat area and the cool pop up table. It seems like you are really enjoying your kitchen. How did you ever resolve your drawer that broke?

Haven't done much biking lately. I have come down with a case of wussiness with the cold weather and can't bear the thought of putting on the booties! Last winter was so much better. This winter seems like it is going to be cold. Takes me back to those cold, dark mornings trudging up State Street to make an 8 am class in the law school.....

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Been there, done that - I tend to look from my phone but want to post from my computer.

We are finally getting some snow and my cross country skis are growling as I haven't taken them out yet!

Whatever you do - skip the movie 5 year engagement - it was filmed in Ann Arbor but it is really bad! (except for seeing scenes from A2)

Hopefully tomorrow.

Thanks for your blessing! I think what you did is phenomenal!

• Lorenza5064
    11 years ago

A2, what is this about a "pop-up" table? A table that converts from coffee table height to dining height? Have been thinking of that for my breakfast/sitting room. Please elaborate. Ciao ciao

• Lorenza5064
    11 years ago

nycbluedevil, I presume you are a "Dukey". At any rate, I love your kitchen and think is perhaps the most handsome of all the submissions I have seen on the GW. Bravo Bravo! I know that Rutt is a high end cab and Waterstone fixtures are very high end as well. If I may be so bold, would you share the budget number for your project. I am trying to understand if I might be able to emulate some of the design and finishes that you selected. Ciao ciao

• skeetie219
    11 years ago

Your kitchen is beautiful....love love love the walnut cabinet and counter combo. I think I remember your bathroom remodel from the bathroom board, that was gorgeous too. If memory serves me, you bought your plumbing stuff from plumbtile w a positive experience. It helped me decide as I was in the throws of a master bath remodel. In any case, we finished our kitchen about 2yrs and just finished the bath project ....actually window treatments are pending, but thank goodness for GW!

• nycbluedevil
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Lorenza

First, thank you so much for the compliments. we are really loving our kitchen. It''s amazing how such a skinny space turned out so great.

Yes, I am a Dukie. As is my eldest daughter so we get down to Durham a bit. She graduates this year.

Happy to share the budget, at least as much as I can remember. Note that we did quite a bit of construction and that the plumbing was significant because we moved our WD clear across the space and needed to recreate our water and gas lines to tie into our adjacent maids room. That was a big job. We also opened up part of the dining room/kitchen common wall. We also added French pocket doors to the back half of our dining room which is my eldest daughter's bedroom (she is almost out on her own at this point so her room is becoming a sitting room) and put the WD in a newly constructed closet with French doors. We also refinished the floors in the dining room/bedroom. So the whole thing was around $200,000 all in but we did a lot of ancillary work.

Cabinets--$62,000 including installation
    Countertops and backsplash--$11,000
    Waterstone--about $3,000
    Sink--$1,000
    Cabinet hardware--$1,500
    Appliances--$25,000
    Contractor (demo and construction, plumbing, electric, floors, painting)--$85,000
    Pendants-$2,500
    Under cabinet flights--$1,800
    Dining room chandelier-$6,000
    Counter stools--$2,000

We still have window treatments to do in the kitchen and sitting room so that's not included yet.

• nycbluedevil
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Skeetie

Thanks for the compliments.

You have a good memory. We did use plumb tile for the bathroom fixtures. As a matter of fact, I got the Waterstone for the kitchen through them too. Their discount was at least as good as anyone else's price, their customer service was great and free delivery/no sales tax.

To make things even better, they had the Forms and Surfaces cabinet pulls that I fell in love with at the KD showroom. These pulls were expensive. The KD shop was going to charge me $35 per pull but I got them from plumb tile for $31, which is still hideously expensive but saved me hundreds

• firstmmo
    11 years ago

Really gorgeous! I will be following how all your appliances do over the next few months. I am particularly interested in the 36" (?) SZ fridge. I have been looking at that french door refrigerator and am still trying to deice if this will work for us or whether I need to jump to the bigger sizes.

You did an amazingly beautiful job. Love the deep sink and the walnut/marble mix.

• nycbluedevil
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks firsthouse. I love all the appliances. Regarding the SZ 36" French door, I really like the fridge. The freezer is a bit small and I am finding that I can't store as big a Costco haul as I could with my 42" SZ that I had in the old kitchen. But I did not want a side by side again because I was tired of bending down for the fruits and vegetables which were at the bottom of the fridge. So the 36" FD was my only option. Our kids are all out of the house now except like now when they are home from college for vacation, so most of the time we are fine.

A word of advice regarding the 36" side by side. Disaster. Everyone I know who has it can't stand it. If you go side y side, get at least the 42".

All the other appliances--the Blue Star range, the Miele Diamond dishwasher (did I really get a DW with interior lights?!), the Modernaire hood and the Uline wine cooler--are all great. The wine cooler was great value. I really did not want to spend the money for the Miele (the only other one that had the recessed handle that I needed). So I got the Uline--it is quiet and holds a lot.

• nycbluedevil
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lorenza

I was just reading mamadadapaige's thread and saw your question about the walnut interiors as the last post. I think you were asking that question of me. If so, the answer is that there was no upcharge per se.

Rutt has two lines. One line is the Regency. It is about 20% less than the regular line, which is called the Classic. I had planned on going with the Regency but at the last minute I decided to splurge and buy the Classic. One of the features of the Classic is the walnut (or cherry) interiors. There were a bunch of other improvements as well, but that was the one that stood out for me.

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

NYCBD - your Miele has an interior light - I might just have to upgrade mine... LOL - I will stick with mine until I have to replace it - I get a smile when it sticks it little tongue out at me when it pops the door open.
    Happy New Year!

Lorenza5064 - I will bump by final reveal post so I don't hijack NYCBD too much - but yes it does pop up.

• Lorenza5064
    11 years ago

NYCBD, Didn't you say that your door style was the "New Yorker" by Rutt? Couldn't find that on their website. Closest I found was "York". Trying to see the detail on the inside of stiles and rails, a bevel, a bead?

• nycbluedevil
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It is the New Yorker. It is a modified Shaker. That's the best way I can describe it. Sort of like a double step. Rut has a terrible website. Where are you located? I bet there is a dealer who sells Rutt if you are near a reasonably large city. Best to see in person.

• Lorenza5064
    11 years ago

Thanks NYCBD, don't think I afford Rutt, but would like to emulate your door style. I have chosen an independent Amish cabinetmaker for my cabs. I have vetted this company and all signs are good re their fit and finish. I noticed that your drawer fronts have chamfered edges, that is a detail employed by my cab co. as well. My kitchen will be in a white painted finish with an island in either cherry or walnut. You can bet that I am going to inquire re the walnut drawer boxes, they are so handsome.

• Lorenza5064
    11 years ago

a2, please provide the thread that includes the reveal of your kitchen that has been alluded to in the conversation between you and NYCBD. I am most curious about the details that you mention. Happy New Year, L

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Lorenza - here is the thread for you - http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg121427088941.html
    NYCBD - thanks for loaning your post.
    Happy New Year

• nycbluedevil
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Bumping for deedles!

• deedles
    11 years ago

Thanks for bumping this. I missed the thread but just want to say how beautiful that is turning out! Very classy. Sad the mural had to go, I was going to mention how neat that was. Oh, well, nothing lasts forever. Love the toaster! Vintage stuff always grabs me. I was just oogling a "toast-O-lator" at an antique shop yesterday. You put the bread in on edge in one end and it rolls through and comes out the other side. There is even a viewing window so you can watch your toast go through. How fun is that? Not sure if it's 125.00 worth of fun, though.

Anyway. Where do you do most of your prepping in there? On that big deep square counter to the right of the stove, or on the sink counter?

• nycbluedevil
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Deedles

Thanks for the compliments! I did love that mural but it was time for it to go.

I do most prep on either the left or right side of the sink--I have about 40" on either side of the sink plus the space in front of the counter cabinets so it is plenty. Prep requires water and I don't have a separate prep sink. The big sink you see is my only one. For baking, I tend to use the space to the left of the range. That is only about 30" of countertop. The big space is our eating area. I also use that space to set out the various dishes as they come out of the ovens.

• nycbluedevil
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Bumping this for Laura

• bellsmom
    11 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous. Serious envy here.

• AboutToGetDusty
    11 years ago

Missed this earlier. Gorgeous and stately! I do have a question for you, NYC...do you plan to cook in this kitchen? Remembering my days living in the city...I can remember cooking just a handful of times. Just wondering if this is for entertaining guests here and there or you truly cook? Not many New Yorkers do!

• nycbluedevil
    Original Author
    11 years ago

About

You bet. I cook a lot and I have never enjoyed it more. The Blue Star range is wonderful. Pan searing salmon, grilling steaks, baking the perfect cake--I am in love with it. The hood (which I was able to vent out the wall) is powerful albeit noisy but I will take noise over grease on my walnut cabinets! The Miele speed oven is great too. I use it as a microwave about half the time but I do also use it as a second oven. I am still working out the combination functions though. My big 30" sink (maybe it's not big by GW standards but it is way larger than my previous sink) with the grid is great and the Waterstone faucet and instant hot are dreamy. It is fair to say that I am a very happy camper. And when we do entertain I now feel that we are doing it in style!

• amandasplit
    11 years ago

I missed this, but OMG amazing. If I had seen this before I started mine I would've copied everything! Would love to see the backsplash and lights that you were describing.

• nycbluedevil
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Amanda!

I posted a picture of the beehive lights a few weeks ago. I bumped the post today so you should be able to see it although it may be a page down by now. The backsplash is the same as the counters in 6 x 18 tiles.

My kitchen design company (Bilotta) is doing a photo shoot next week. Hopefully, I will have some good pics to post.

• nycbluedevil
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Bumping this for seaswirl.

• afineman
    9 years ago

nycbluedevil,

I'm curious what hood you ended up getting for the 36" Blue Star with the grill and what your experience has been so far.

We live in lower manhattan and planning to order the 36" Nova with grill and are trying desperately to figure out the hood solution.

Thanks in advance,

• Hydragea
    9 years ago

ncbluedevil - Your kitchen is so very beautiful!
    I am considering a dark cabinet and was wondering how you find the light in the walnutty kitchen as opposed to your white kitchen.

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

Nycbledevil
    I always enjoy seeing your kitchen!
    Glad to see it re-surface
    Also- saw your post in appliance and looks like your oven choice was a winner ð¸

• nycbluedevil
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Afineman--we got a Modernaire PS 11 (42 x 24). We were able to vent it outside. The hood is beautiful and effective. It is a bit noisy which I suspect is because we had to use an 8" air duct rather than the recommended 10" duct. We had a column in the way so be had no choice.

Hydragea--we find that we have plenty of light. We did two pendants down the middle with undercabinet LED lights. The room is also open to the dining room so that probably helps too. I love my walnut cabinets more than I can express. I could stare at them for hours. They are so warm and homey. Even if the kitchen could be brighter if i had done white cabinets, I would never trade the walnut for white.

A2--nice to hear from you. I was in Ann Arbor the weekend before last for my 30 year law school reunion. Thank goodness it wasn't this past weekend!!!!! I've been riding a lot too. We did a bike trip to Provence in July. Got a new bike too which I am really loving. How is your bathroom coming?

• cat_mom
    9 years ago

Still one of my favorite kitchens!

(L'Shanah Tovah!)

• enzaenza
    9 years ago

NYCBD, I am in love!

Beautiful kitchen, and I imagine you are enjoying it completely. Would you mind sharing the company and or individuals you worked with? I am planning a large (for us) renovation that involves completely gutting the existing kitchen and baths and need some serious help .... Architect, Kitchen designer contractor, etc.

• hartntex
    6 years ago

Hi, lots of older discussions on here re your Waterstone 5600 faucet. Can you tell me if you are still enjoying this and if the docking mechanism has held up? Please advise asap as we need to decide soon on this vs. Perrin & Rowe bridge faucet for our remodeled kitchen. Thx in advance.