Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
julie1973_gw

Slab backsplash behind range?

julie1973
9 years ago

Hi. I am getting the 48" wolf all gas range and am having danby marble slab backsplash all around the kitchen including behind the range. The range comes with island trim but I am considering switching to the 5" riser. My question is, does the range have to be pulled away from the wall to accommodate the thickness of the slab backsplash? So would the slab be behind the range and the island trim or riser? I don't understand how that works (though I've seen it in photos) since the wolf range already is 27" deep I can't imagine pulling it even further forward.

Comments (15)

• eam44
    9 years ago

I'm excited for you! What a great range, and what gorgeous marble. I can't answer the questions you're asking, but allow me one unsolicited opinion. Go for a full height sheet stainless bs with a shelf behind the range. If you put marble in that location it will be oily, dirty, hard to clean and cleaned more often than the rest of the marble. It could even discolor with high heat. It's not going to match the rest of your splash for long. I know the range in the image isn't a Wolf, but you get the idea...

• nycbluedevil
    9 years ago

I have a Blue Star range with an island trim with calacatta marble 6 x 18 backsplash tiles. The backsplash comes down behind the range for a few inches. I would think you would have to pull out the range by the extra depth of the slab.

I sealed the marble and the grout. I cook almost every day and do a lot of high-heat cooking. It has been exactly two years and the backsplash still looks perfect.

I tend to use my front burners the most and have a great hood. But occasionally I will simmer sauce on the rear burners and have had the occasional splash up. I make sure to wipe them up pretty quickly.

• practigal
    9 years ago

EAM44 I love the picture and stainless behind would be easy to clean... But the shelf? Wouldn't grease collect on it and everything that sits on it? And isn't the user putting stuff in a location where if they lean over the stove to pull something off the shelf their clothing may be exposed to an open flame?

• julie1973
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the responses.
    EAM44 - I've considered doing stainless almost all the way up with a shelf but I don't like the way it will look in my set up since I am getting the hood 6 inches wider than the range. It would look awkward to me to have the hood wider than the stainless backsplash. Also, with the 5" riser I am less concerned about the marble being damaged since my greatest concern was damage due to heat venting from the oven. The 5" riser directs the heat away from the backsplash. Also, I am getting a very good ventilation system and should able to capture a lot of the grease, smoke, etc. I'm willing to take the risk with tomato sauce splatters, etc, as I have already signed up for that risk with the counters! :).
    Nycbluedevil - thank you for your response. I have admired your kitchen while planning mine. (I am also getting the waterstone faucet like yours!)
    I am still concerned about how far out the oven will have to sit from the wall with the slab behind it. And my counters are already ordered so I can't get extra deep cabinets. And I really really want to keep the slab backsplash. Does anyone have any experience with slabs behind the range they can share? I see so many photos with slabs and the oven doesn't seem so far forward - can they ALL have extra deep custom cab bases??

• friedajune
    9 years ago

I remember there was a thread on this forum about SS backsplash where the hood is wider than the range. People posted pics. I can try to look for it later unless someone else finds it.

• Ivan I
    9 years ago

Quick Q: EAM44, what material is that blue flooring in your pic?

• Fori
    9 years ago

I've had a slab behind a cooktop. Loved it. Marble isn't that stainy. Just etchy. :) Irrelevant for your problem since it was a cooktop.

But...your issue is how to fit in a slab that wasn't planned for, right? What stage are you in the process? Are the cabinets in?

• julie1973
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, the issue is that the slab wasn't properly planned for. I always planned on the slab but it wasn't accounted for in the cabinet design. The cabinets are in a "u" shape so anything I do with the base cabs at the range will affect both runs on either side, including where the sink goes, which then affects where the windows are placed. Cabinets are ordered and scheduled for delivery on 11/20. Windows are rough framed and will be installed after cabinets. I left deposit with marble fabricator for 4 slabs based on counters and backsplash. I really really need and want to make this work. Ugh...

• texaspenny
    9 years ago

Is the slab backsplash being cut down? Our soapstone counters are 3cm but we also used it for our backsplash and it was cut down to 2cm. For behind the range we did do a stainless steel sheet up to the ceiling, but we didn't have the oven/hood width difference that you do. Are they going to trim the backsplash to be thinner? 2cm shouldn't make that much of a difference.

• eam44
    9 years ago

Julie, sounds like you have it well thought out. It will be gorgeous. Don't forget to post pics when it's done!

MareLuce, it's painted linoleum! Isn't it gorgeous? Such a perfect robin's egg blue. You can paint linoleum with deck/floor paint in any color you want.

• friedajune
    9 years ago

I am linking a thread which discusses when the hood is wider than the range, should the backsplash behind the range be the width of the hood or the width of the range. The conclusion seems to depend on whether there are upper cabinets on either side of the hood. If there are upper cabinets, then you should match the backsplash width to the hood width. Otherwise, you will have a 3" sliver on either side of the hood of empty wall between the edge of the hood and the cabinets. My preference is to match the width of the backsplash to the hood regardless, just MHO.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread about Width of Panel behind Range

• Alison Winther
    4 years ago

@Julie1973, do you mind sharing how the slab was installed and if it needed to push the range forward? I am trying to figure out the same install question now and I’m not clear on how it’s to be done.

• ajreynol
    2 years ago

Julie and Alison - what ended up happening with both of your situations? I’m dealing with this now- thanks!!

• Robyn
    2 years ago

@Alison Winther @julie1973

I am also in the same situation - if you were able to share how you dealt with it it would be so appreciated! thanks ;)