Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
abekker_gw

should I go more contemporary or go with an espresso shaker

abekker
9 years ago

We are building a new house with a 15 by 20 kitchen open to the family room. I am afraid the espresso shaker will be too dark and depressing. Should I do contemporary frameless cabinets?

Comments (12)

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is my kitchen

• crl_
    9 years ago

What's the style of the rest of the house? How much natural light does the kitchen get? What makes you happiest?

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It should be ok with light, but the cabinets are dark , so that might close in and darken the whole space making it feel smaller. Another issue with espresso cabinets is i will need very light granite, backsplash, and tile. With the contemporary two toned kitchen I can have more color options. Is wood far superior than thermofoil? Please help, I don't know which way to proceed with this. Thanks

• Vertise
    9 years ago

I think you need to be clearer on what the issues are. Are you saying you must get thermofoil if you go light? Because it sounds like you don't really like dark cabinets and/or light counters for yourself - so why are you even considering them.

I wouldn't want thermofoil. If I didn't want dark cabinets either, I would ask my builder what else could be arranged to get the white wood I want. If nothing, then I'd be looking at other houses to get what I do want. I think the life expectancy is better for wood, as there can be issues with the plastic coating failing and discoloration over time. So it might not be an economical long term choice. Google for problems with thermofoil.

This post was edited by snookums2 on Sat, Oct 4, 14 at 13:19

• Terri_PacNW
    9 years ago

I like your inspiration picture go with a version of that if you love it.
    If you are not looking at resale in a few years do what you love. Who cares what others think!

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I like that picture of the contemporary kitchen, but I wonder if I will regret that choice down the road. Will I be able to ever sell this house with this kind of kitchen?

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is another option, but I like the grey in the 1st picture more.

• lam702
    9 years ago

Strictly a matter of taste, IMO. A prospective buyer may love a contemporary kitchen, or they may want something more traditional. As long as you keep the kitchen close in style to the general style of the house, get what you like. Sounds like the OP doesn't really love the idea of dark cabinets, so why go there? You can do a light and bright contemporary kitchen. Sure you can sell the house down the road, impossible to know what a prospective buyer will want in a kitchen, as long as you don't go with really strange choices (polka dot cabinets?) I think you'll be ok. You are doing a new build, don't worry about resale now, just get what you love!

• Vertise
    9 years ago

If you prefer the gray, why get the brown? Really, it doesn't sound like you are crazy about either. Unless your kitchen is not that important to you, open up your options.

• crl_
    9 years ago

As far as resale goes, I think a style that fits with the overall style of the house is important. And location has a lot to do with what style will be palatable to most buyers. In a San Francisco loft, modern would be a plus; in a cabin on a steam in the Ozarks, it would be a negative for most buyers.

Are you somehow constrained in your options by your builder?

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I guess I will explore this option besides focusing only on the espresso shaker. Thanks as always!