Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rjkidwiler

sanity check -does this backsplash look ok?

rjkidwiler
10 years ago

After bringing home some samples from a local tile store, my husband and I both liked this one the most. I know these things are very subjective but if anything jumps out at you about this choice (e.g., could be 'busy' once fully applied, etc.-?) - I'd love to hear your opinion. it is a tumbled travertine tile, 2x4. Flooring is a golden oak hardwood. Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: more pics

Comments (22)

• deedles
    10 years ago

It looks very pretty!

• mpagmom (SW Ohio)
    10 years ago

It looks very pretty (just noticed I wrote exactly the same thing deedles did - great minds think alike), but I find myself wanting to see what the sample laying on the counter would look like. Your kitchen has a very "clean" look to it and I wonder if a tumbled stone would detract from that a bit. You've done a beautiful job with everything!

• Vertise
    10 years ago

The coloring looks good! It will be energetic. You could take out the darker pieces to tone it down, so there is less contrast among the pieces.

How much of this will be in the kitchen?

• hough2012
    10 years ago

We just used put up a tumbled travertine.....I love how it looks

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

I like it .... it's a simple pattern with moderate amount of color variability.

Looks good with the solid color of the countertop and the white cabinets.

It adds texture to what is a very "slick" kitchen.

• blfenton
    10 years ago

Yes it matches, and yes it's pretty but your kitchen is going to read cold when you are finished. Just be aware.

• rjkidwiler
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much to all of you for your feedback. I am going to post more pics soon (including one of the splash on the counter for mpagmom) - but I see what you mean blfenton - I agree that there is a 'cold' feel in the pics but somehow when I'm standing in the kitchen it doesn't feel that way. I think it's because it's quite small with wood floors and some wood counters that help warm it up - but I want to be sure that this is true. The tile has warm colors but they also aren't showing up very well in the pics. I know I need to be sure myself but I will post additional pics to help with others' opinions too!

• rjkidwiler
    Original Author
    10 years ago

To answer snookums' question - the picture here shows the remainder of the area to be tiled. It is the wall in the earlier picture plus this one - just the small area between counter height counter and wood bar-height counter. Yes, I have a small kitchen :-). Let me know if you still feel the same way! I am resending the link which now has new pics - the splash against the counter and a few more perspectives that might help in opinion making!

Thanks - - it is so nice to have unbiased people to bounce things off of!!

Here is a link that might be useful: more pics

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

I just did a tumbled marble bs and I don't think it looks "cold". My tiles are 4 x 4's. Of course it's possible that they look cold and I am too biased to realize it.

• blfenton
    10 years ago

It's not the tumbled marble that gives the coolness in the room. Holly-kay, your kitchen reads warm with the warm wood tones of the cabinets and the counter.

The OP's kitchen reads cool because of the grey tones in the cabinets and counters. The warm floor helps to warm the space up.

Don't get me wrong - I'm just wanting the OP to be aware. I happen to prefer cool tones over warm tones but that's just personal taste.

• rjkidwiler
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Holly yout tiles definitely do not look cold - with mine the cabinets and counters are less warm than yours and the backsplash might not do much to warm it up. But the cold feel is not as prevalent as it appears in the original pics I posted....the later pics show more angles and I am wondering whether I should be worried about that or not, what do you think? By the way both yours and hough2012's tiles look fantastic! Thank you for sharing!

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Ahhhh, got it. Totally makes sense.

• rjkidwiler
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Holly yout tiles definitely do not look cold - with mine the cabinets and counters are less warm than yours and the backsplash might not do much to warm it up. But the cold feel is not as prevalent as it appears in the original pics I posted....the later pics show more angles and I am wondering whether I should be worried about that or not, what do you think? By the way both yours and hough2012's tiles look fantastic! Thank you for sharing!

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

You're very welcome RJ. I think that some of the tiles read warm but honestly my iPad doesn't always show colors accurately. Your kitchen is so pretty. Let us know what you decide. I think you've made a great choice.

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

Personally I like it. It gives your very white kitchen some texture which I think is good.
    As far as cool vs warm, I don't think it's a value judgement, but rather a preference. It is a cool space, you've got white, grey and stainless - all cool choices.
    I'm deliberately making choices on the cool end of the spectrum because where we're building in SC we will need to run AC 8 months of the year. Cool is GOOD!

• amykath
    10 years ago

I really like it. It adds a hint of color and goes very well with your cabs and countertops. It does not read cold on my monitor at all. I say go for it!

• rjkidwiler
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Many thanks - I appreciate the feedback!

• teeboo
    10 years ago

I like your backsplash selection..

How did you insert more pictures into your initial request for help? Trying to get advice on kitchen design layout in cottage and I cannot figure out how to download all pictures at the same time. Thanks in advance for your help. Jenn

• rjkidwiler
    Original Author
    10 years ago

• jess1979
    10 years ago

I like the tile and think it will give the cool feel. I have the cool feel to my kitchen now but I also like the warm feel. We just did a remodel and that kitchen has a warm feel. Are there any other tiles that you like that you could post a picture of. That way you could get feedback on different looks.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Do they go with the floor? On my monitor, the floor looks more yellowish than the tiles....

• rjkidwiler
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jenn - I uploaded my pics into google photos and then included the link to them. If you have a google account you can do that. I think others might use photobucket or other similar tools. I could not figure out how to insert them so they showed in the message itself - I was only able to include one picture that way.

And sorry about the extra duplicate messages I have no idea how or why that happened!

Robin I don't have other samples right now but might have some later that I can post.

As for the floor - I guess I'm not sure if it goes - I thought it looked okay with the floor - but you are right that the floor is more yellowish (the stain is 'golden oak') - the tiles have a bit of rust/brownish coloring in them but it is not a prevalent color- if you look at the first pic on the link I sent you might see what I am referring to.