Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cosmocat_gw

finished kitchen in walnut and soapstone

cosmocat
11 years ago

Here it is finally! It has been a year and not really any regrets. Except for my lack of cleaning style and issues with the soapstone. I love the kitchen, the island and the overall function.

The Before

Comments (15)

• cosmocat
    Original Author
    11 years ago

another before

• cosmocat
    Original Author
    11 years ago

and after

• cosmocat
    Original Author
    11 years ago

another after

What we used and how we changed it.

Soapstone countertops.
    Travertine tile backsplash.
    Walnut cabinets
    Enlarged the window over the sink (can't find a pic yet)
    Enlarged the space around the fridge (cut into space in the dining room to allow a landing zone by the fridge)
    Shortened the length of the original 8-foot x 2-foot island to 32-inches x 6-feet.
    Have an overhang and seating at the island.

Still loving it! tho having issues with the soastone but home to get those addressed.

• cosmocat
    Original Author
    11 years ago

sorry...thought I was posting in the gallery section. things have changed in the last year on here and how to post.

• enduring
    11 years ago

That hood is gorgeous! I love the diamond tile and the edge crown. I read your other thread about the soapstone. I have soapstone and I embrace the rustic-ness of it. I think yours could go more matte, sort of like the iron in your pendents. Right now it looks too shinny. It is so shinny in fact that it looks like polished granite. You can take all the oil off and see what you think. I have one piece in my kitchen that I've never oiled, it is in my nook. I love the gray soft color of it. I don't put wet things up there so don't know how it will do. My small counters by the stove get all kinds of use. I have oiled them but not often. They show scratches. But I don't notice.

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

What a great kitchen! I love, love, love the walnut cabinets. I like oiled soapstone and it is a good color with your walnut too.

I really like your coffee bar next to the microwave. It looks very handy.

• dilly_ny
    11 years ago

Wow! Looks great. Enjoy!

• tea4all
    11 years ago

That is elegant and warm--so inviting. Fabulous job! Enjoy it for years to come!

• sochi
    11 years ago

What a transformation, it is hard to believe that it is the same space. Congratulations!

• Eyegirlie
    11 years ago

How pretty!!! And your hood is to die for!!!

• debbie1000
    11 years ago

Looks lovely!

Your "before" layout is so similar to ours. Was your refrigerator originally to the left of your doorway and was your cooktop in the island?(looks like it but not sure).

That's how our layout is (from 1988). It's amazing to see the transformation in layout. It looks great!

And gives me an idea for "someday..."

• taggie
    11 years ago

Beautiful!! I absolutely love the rich wood and that hood is to die for. Island looks amazing too ... Do you have a picture that shows the detail of the back overhang and legs? It looks fantastic. Congratulations on your gorgeous new space.

• ratherbesewing
    11 years ago

Cosmocat: I am curious, will you be adding a table and chairs? If it's wood, what shade? When there are wood floors and cabinets, I am unsure what table would look best.

• jerzeegirl
    11 years ago

I love your kitchen cosmocat!

• houseful
    11 years ago

I've been away a long time, but I vividly remember your old kitchen. The new space is beautiful!!!

Can you post before and after floorplans soon?