Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
finished kitchen in walnut and soapstone

Posted by cosmocat (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 6, 12 at 10:58

Here it is finally! It has been a year and not really any regrets. Except for my lack of cleaning style and issues with the soapstone. I love the kitchen, the island and the overall function.

The Before

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: finished kitchen in walnut and soapstone

another before

o

and after

o

another after

What we used and how we changed it.

Soapstone countertops.
Travertine tile backsplash.
Walnut cabinets
Enlarged the window over the sink (can't find a pic yet)
Enlarged the space around the fridge (cut into space in the dining room to allow a landing zone by the fridge)
Shortened the length of the original 8-foot x 2-foot island to 32-inches x 6-feet.
Have an overhang and seating at the island.

Still loving it! tho having issues with the soastone but home to get those addressed.

o

sorry...thought I was posting in the gallery section. things have changed in the last year on here and how to post.

o

That hood is gorgeous! I love the diamond tile and the edge crown. I read your other thread about the soapstone. I have soapstone and I embrace the rustic-ness of it. I think yours could go more matte, sort of like the iron in your pendents. Right now it looks too shinny. It is so shinny in fact that it looks like polished granite. You can take all the oil off and see what you think. I have one piece in my kitchen that I've never oiled, it is in my nook. I love the gray soft color of it. I don't put wet things up there so don't know how it will do. My small counters by the stove get all kinds of use. I have oiled them but not often. They show scratches. But I don't notice.

o

What a great kitchen! I love, love, love the walnut cabinets. I like oiled soapstone and it is a good color with your walnut too.

I really like your coffee bar next to the microwave. It looks very handy.

o

Wow! Looks great. Enjoy!

o

That is elegant and warm--so inviting. Fabulous job! Enjoy it for years to come!

o

What a transformation, it is hard to believe that it is the same space. Congratulations!

o

How pretty!!! And your hood is to die for!!!

o

Looks lovely!

Your "before" layout is so similar to ours. Was your refrigerator originally to the left of your doorway and was your cooktop in the island?(looks like it but not sure).

That's how our layout is (from 1988). It's amazing to see the transformation in layout. It looks great!

And gives me an idea for "someday..."

o

Beautiful!! I absolutely love the rich wood and that hood is to die for. Island looks amazing too ... Do you have a picture that shows the detail of the back overhang and legs? It looks fantastic. Congratulations on your gorgeous new space.

o

Cosmocat: I am curious, will you be adding a table and chairs? If it's wood, what shade? When there are wood floors and cabinets, I am unsure what table would look best.

o

I love your kitchen cosmocat!

o

I've been away a long time, but I vividly remember your old kitchen. The new space is beautiful!!!

Can you post before and after floorplans soon?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here