Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
breezygirl_gw

Should crown go on this wall with tile and hood?

breezygirl
12 years ago

I plan to tile eurosplash style on the back wall between the windows. Tile will run counter to ceiling and wall to wall. My 42" rangehood will be centered between the windows. Initially, I had planned on running the crown across the upper cabs and across that window wall to tie in. Crown runs through all of the adjoining rooms.

Now I'm not so sure. Would it look odd to run crown over the tile? And how should the crown end where it runs into the hood on either side?

Comments (28)

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

For reference, here's my hood. I'm sure you're all sick of seeing it by this point.

• steph2000
    12 years ago

Well, I'm probably not who you want to be hearing from here as I am not a TKE (total kitchen expert lol) but two things:

1 - It's exciting to see all these posts from you as you have so much darn MOMENTUM going! I know it's long awaited and you've done a lot to persevere through this. I enjoy seeing all the posts as details come up - and I am also finding it informative. (Now if I can just retain the knowledge...)

2 - I personally am totally drawn to the pics of kitchens that have crown around the top of the hoods and wall, all wrapped around in a continuous stream. I'm hoping to pull that off in my house and I think most kitchen tile jobs terminate at the top with crown, no?

• rhome410
    12 years ago

I'm not necessarily always a fan of crown that goes on cabinets and onto the walls, but I am a fan of consistency. If it's everywhere, I guess it should be there, too.

What's "Eurosplash style?" Does that just refer to tiling the whole wall?

• kellied
    12 years ago

Personally, I think putting crown there would add one more element and perhaps look too busy.

• lascatx
    12 years ago

I'm not sure about your splash either. Is it going to cover the whole wall or just between the windows? If just between the windows, I think it would look odd not to have the crown there (consistency, again). If the tile will cover all the wall, then I think you could have a break in the crown there and have it look completely different.

• User
    12 years ago

To accent the contemporary side of the transitional style, don't put crown on that wall. That would leave it off of the problematic pantry wall also. In fact, you might consider tiling the tiny bit of pantry wall that you have in order to tie it stylistically to the hood wall. I personally do not like attempts to wrap crown molding around a hood, unless that hood is a cabinet wood hood. I think it "tries too hard", and that the hood should remain simple and functional without the added fussy detail.

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

To clarify, the tile will run from the counter all the way to the ceiling, and from wall to wall. No drywall showing there at all.

I haven't decided what to do with the cleanup sink window wall to the right of the rangetop wall. Once the hutch cabinet that goes from ceiling to the counter is installed to the right of the window where you see that blank wall, there won't be much drywall there. I had thought about tiling that whole wall also, but that might be too much. If I don't tile the whole wall there, I would run crown across the top. Or do I???

Some of these small details obviously weren't worked out in my head along the way.

Where to crown and where not to crown. Where to tile and where not to tile. Gotta go look at some Houzz pics, I guess.

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

You seem to have started with a fairly traditional space, with a few modern elements. If that's still 'the vision' I would do the crown. Lately, some of the lighting choices and other details seem to be moving to a more industrial/modern vibe. I guess I'm wondering if you've changed you initial vision, or if I just misread it.

Do you have a picture of the tile? Have you chosen the pendants and other lighting, yet? The cabinets still look traditional and the kitchen layout seems pretty balanced, which is also more traditional. Are you still doing the banquette on the island? I can't tell with the finish work, on the front of the island. All these details will make a difference, as to whether crown will look better or not, IMHO. Hope that helps :)

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I just decided that there's probably no way to run the crown around that hood that would look decent. So no crown there.

LWO--I had the same thought about leaving the crown off the pantry wall. It wouldn't look silly to do that if there wasn't crown on the rangetop wall.

I wonder about tiling the pantry wall. Do you suggest tiling the whole drywalled area around the pantry door including the 5-6" of drywall that now shows next to my fridge? Or just tile the face of the door wall?

Now that I decided not to crown the rangetop wall, what to do about the cleanup sink wall crown and tile?

• User
    12 years ago

I think that tiling the pantry section (and the cleanup area) would be a good idea to consider. Unity of surface treatments will help to keep the not quite right details from jumping out at you. You notice the beauty of the tile, not the angles. But, it will depend on which tile you choose whether or not it's workable. In one of your other threads, you had a pic of a pretty detailed patterned tile. That would be really difficult to do on small walls. If you mixed it with a "regular" type of tile like a marble subway or other repeating simple field tile look, it could work to do the simpler one there.

• NewSouthernBelle
    12 years ago

Well I like crown molding so I would want it in other places in the kitchen and family room so while I would NOT put in on the range wall (perhaps it'd be too busy with all the tile and so difficult to do right around the hood) I would put it on the 'inside' of the cabinets on this section and run it in front of the cabinets and around the pantry and above the sink, etc. Essentially I would have it "die" into the tiled wall. Does that make sense?

Question - it looks like there is a few inches of play at the top of your cabinets - don't you need molding there to cover this? Or are you considering just a small 2'' filler type piece?

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lavender--I am still planning the banquette. I don't have tile picked yet. To look at the kind of tile I like, I have to drive up to Seattle. Doing that with the kids is challenging to say the least. I wanted to do something different than white subways even though I know that would be beautiful. I posted on my thread about tiling before the rangehood goes in this one as a tile I like.

{{!gwi}}

I plan to wait until the marble and range hood are in before I pick tile and light fixtures. Asking me about my style this week feels like opening a can of worms. Yes, the cabs and layout are traditional, but I also like touches that are modern, industrial, and vintage. Clean lines soothe me, but too much of that is boring and cold. Basically, I'm all over the board right now.

While I know that the industrial and oh-so-popular RH Benson pendants with white subways would look right at home with what you see now, I'm not sure I want to use those materials because they are so popular. Rather than forcing myself to choose now, I'm trying to let everything marinate in my head while waiting for appliances and marble to go in. My silly wish is that when that's done I'll somehow just know which pendants and other fixtures to use. :-\ Sweeby test hasn't helped.

GD--thank you. The tiles I'm gravitating towards are more detailed so that does make tiling around the pantry less appealing. As it is now, I plan to paint the drywalled pantry walls the same color as the cabs and trim hoping it all blends better.

Belle--what you said makes sense. I do like crown also so chose to put it in all of the rooms in the main part of the house. The kitchen is at least somewhat open to all of those rooms. The space above the uppers is supposed to be covered with crown. My cab maker includes crown standard for all his cabs so I left this to him to do.

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

It must be difficult to get into Seattle with the kids...the traffic alone, is a mess! One thing I don't miss, living on this side of the state :)

You do have a lot of decisions to make and it must be frustrating to not have them done. I would recommend trying to make a trip in this weekend and finalize some of your choices. I think you'll feel much more 'centered' once you do and making the rest of these decisions will be much easier.

Have you decided on a fabric for the banquette? What about window treatments...if any? I know the last thing you want right now are more choices, but they're going to be coming at you fast, from now on. A lot of people seem to get burned out at this point in the process, even when they're not acting as GC, but this is supposed to be the 'fun stuff' so take a deep breath and choose. Deep down, you know what you like.

Take Kellie with you and go shopping, have some fun, make your choices and get that much closer to moving back into your beautiful home. Trust me, all these choices will not seem nearly as important, once you're living there. Go with your gut and choose what you love and it will all work out. And don't forget...it's important to DRINK BEVERAGES after shopping! :)

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Here's a link to Atticmag, showing some white kitchens with tile walls and crown. Not the same hood, but it might help you decide :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to kitchens with crown

• thynes1501
    12 years ago

breezy we did a eurosplash wall as well, not as large as yours but fairly similar in layout. We chose to continue the crown above the tile and end it at either side of the range hood. I've attached a pic to show you how it turned out, not a great pic but the best I can find (still have to do finished pics for a reveal thread... sometime). We like the outcome and haven't doubted our decision at all, but I do realize it is a matter of personal taste. Good luck with your decision!

Oh, and your kitchen is looking wonderful already! I remember this stage of our reno, very exciting to see everything coming together.

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Thynes- I like your kitchen! The tile is striking and the crown really picks up the window trim. Great fabric, too :)

• nhbaskets
    12 years ago

My area is not as expansive as yours, but this is how ours looks with crown on the tile and running around the chimney. I'm very pleased with the look. Hope this helps.

• singingmicki
    12 years ago

I'm not sure there's any point to tiling the small area around your pantry door; won't your door frame take up most of that space? I personally like thynes' crown than goes all the way around and ends at the vent hood, and I think the look and vibe of the continued molding is in keeping with what you've got going on.

• User
    12 years ago

thyne's is absolutely gorgeous. I can hardly wait for the reveal. If that would work for you breezy then I sure would go for it. Lovely indeed. c

• NewSouthernBelle
    12 years ago

I like thyne's too. I didn't even visually think of doing it that way but it makes sense. Breezy, I think you could do either, no molding or molding dying into the hood vent, and it would look great either way.

• stephct
    12 years ago

Breezy-
    I don't have an answer to your question, but I love your cabinets...it's going to be beautiful. Would you mind sharing where you found that tile?
    Thanks,
    Stephanie

• enduring
    12 years ago

I like Thynes treatment where the crown deadends at the hood. I think a crown molding would make the area look more finished.

• scrappy25
    12 years ago

not meaning to hijack this thread, but I'd like to ask Thynes to email me the details on his/her cabinets (should be on "my page") I have similar cabinets in that style would like to match them, they are hard to find.
    I did check Thyne's page but it is not enabled for email.
    thank you!

As to the crown molding, breezy, I wouldn't run it in front of your duct since it is too different from your hood shape. Nhbasket's looks great because the molding repeats the hood shape. Either omit the molding or use Thyne's solution.

• rosie
    12 years ago

Late in, but I like tiling whole walls and, FWIW, think something like Thynes would look good in your case.

What I wanted to "vote" on, though, was extending the tile to both walls. I would and do not think it's "too much," both visually and because of keeping in mind the function of the tile--ultimately tiling more than just a minimum has always been about cleanability, a more desirable but expensive practice for those who could afford to do it. Looked at that way, tiling one wall but not the other would look downright peculiar. :) Besides, good function has a way of explaining itself.

Also, although I think no crown would look fine too (as the tile already breaks the usual pattern seen on other walls) and be a simpler look, continuing the crown would pull both tiled walls and cabinets together very nicely as a unit. Somewhat like Thynes with strong terminations at each end, but wrapping around a corner.

Whichever way you go, it's going to look really good.

• thynes1501
    12 years ago

scrappy25, I posted a finished kitchen thread late last night, you can get a better look at the cabinet style there. The cabinets were custom made by a local cabinet builder, but I think the doors would have been ordered from a manufacturer. If they look exactly the same as yours, let me know and I could probably get further detail.

• rhome410
    12 years ago

I just searched out this discussion to ask if you'd seen Thyne's new kitchen, and how great it looked with the crown across the tile, and see you have a sneak preview here! (Teaches me to lose track of your thread.) It's SUCH a beautiful kitchen and that crown across the top of the tile really works, I think.

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lavender--Thanks for the pic. That's one of my favorite kitchens! If only those pendants were horrendously expensive (about $900 IIRC) or in clear glass with the glare issue. Gorgeous.

Thynes--!!!!!! Wow! Thank you SO MUCH for the picture. I remember your kitchen now that I see it again. Wasn't the first picture you posted teased about the cool purse on the island? :) Anyway, this image has helped me so much. Your crown and hood look so perfect like that.

Nhbaskets--Your crown like that looks so right with your kitchen. Thank you for posting it.

Singingmicki, Trailrunner, Belle, Enduring, Scrappy, and Rosie--Thanks for your votes. I really needed them!

Steph--The tile is from Artistic Tile. I'll link the page below. That pattern is Arpell Bianco. I'm sure it's too warm for my gray Carrara. I'm going tile shopping on Friday and plan to check out as many Artistic Tile patterns as I can. They have gorgeous stuff!

Rhome--Thanks for thinking of me!

UPDATE:
    I had decided to run crown just like Thynes, until I ran across another of my favorite kitchens on the Rabbit Runn blog.

Check out the lack of crown near the hood here.

I think it looks great here, but I don't have uppers near the hood like that. Plus, my hood's chimney isn't as wide as that one.

My hood is being installed this afternoon (waiting on the call to go over now) so I'll wait to see what it looks like up and then decide. I don't think I can go wrong though because both options would look great!

Here is a link that might be useful: Artistic Tile, Arpell Bianco

• stephct
    12 years ago

Thank you SO much!!