Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
red_eared_slider86

My kitchen remodel is in progress! (Pics)

red_eared_slider86
13 years ago

My GC does not mess around. Demo started 15 days ago, and they'll be installing the granite 3 days from today!

BEFORE PICS --

The kitchen from the breakfast area. That big island caused more trouble than it was worth. Thru traffic tended to flow right through the work areas because of it, and we had to walk around it to get to the pantry. You couldn't get through that side of the kitchen if the pantry doors were open. And guests tended to loiter between the island and the pantry anytime we were in the kitchen, blocking access.

{{!gwi}}

The useless "desk" in the recessed corner. I also didn't like the presence that the fridge had. It seemed to block that whole corner.

{{!gwi}}

GUTTED:

Tell me you don't love the wallpaper:

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

View of the breakfast area from that recessed corner:

{{!gwi}}

CABINET INSTALLATION:

Our new peninsula with breakfast bar. I took advice from GW'ers and increased the bar overhang from 9" to 12". You can see the "Freedom Brackets" here. They will be covered by decorative panels, and I'm waiting for decorative wrought iron brackets to arrive which will be installed at either end. A little bit of overkill on the overhang support, I know, but that bartop ain't goin' nowhere! Granite will go in on Saturday.

{{!gwi}}

New fridge location. Don't worry, it fits:

{{!gwi}}

View from the other kitchen doorway. I really like how open it is! And with the new bar, visitors can relax and stay out of the way at the same time. We're replacing the solid pantry doors with French doors. I'll put decorative film on the door glass to conceal the pantry contents.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

And here's a sample of the Kashmir Gold granite with the cabinets:

{{!gwi}}

So far, so good!

Comments (10)

• jakabedy
    13 years ago

That looks great! I think the new footprint will be infinitely more workable than what you had, with the hurdle in the middle of the room. The stairwell running through the pantry cracks me up -- you definitely need to obscure the glass on the French doors lest you have an unintended conversation piece!

Can't wait to see the finished project.

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

Wow! That room looks sooooo much bigger without that island. And yes, I heart that wallpaper in your old kitchen. Your GC moves fast! Were your cabs on-hand before demo?

Looking forward to the big reveal upon completion.

• red_eared_slider86
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Breezygirl -- We signed the contract on a Thursday. The following Monday, they ordered the cabinets (I'd already put in 2-3 weeks of planning the design with the KD.) Two days later (Wednesday), they were tearing things up and putting in new wiring. On Saturday, we stopped by the cabinet showroom, and our cabinets had arrived. Whew!

At first, I was thinking I'd be in my new kitchen by Christmas. Now it's looking like it'll happen well before Thanksgiving! Woo hoo! (I dare not hope for Halloween...)

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

What an amazing turnaround time on those cabs. What brand are they? I don't think I remember the last time I heard about a reno moving so much faster than scheduled. I'm already planning that the three-month time frame our GC gave us for the almost whole house reno will take four. That takes us past Valentine's Day. Thanksgiving dinner will surely taste better cooked in your new kitchen!

• red_eared_slider86
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I was surprised by the turnaround time, too. My GC quoted a time frame of 4-6 weeks, which I think is fairly standard for a project of this scope.

The brand is J&K Cabinetry. They don't have all the choices that are available with the big box stores, but they don't have the big price tag, either. Quality is equivalent, tho, and my installer is doing a fantastic job with customizing those details that need it.

A whole house reno! Now that's a big project! Wow! You will, of course, post pics!

Here is a link that might be useful: J&K Cabinetry

• red_eared_slider86
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Less than 3 weeks into my kitchen reno, and the granite is already in! And after seeing some of the snafus here on GW, I was concerned about the seam we would have between the peninsula and the sink run. My worries were for nothing, though -- the fabricators did an outstanding job!

{{!gwi}}

Closer view of the movement in the Kashmir Gold:

{{!gwi}}

Under the microwave cabinet:

{{!gwi}}

And a closer view:

{{!gwi}}

The range backsplash:

{{!gwi}}

Flooring installation begins on Tuesday!

• flwrs_n_co
    13 years ago

I love your new kitchen layout, and your new cabs look great with your granite! If we decide to keep our basic U layout (not knock out wall between kitchen & dining room), I'm taking out our island (smaller than yours but a huge traffic obstacle) and adding a peninsula. I'm looking forward to seeing your finished kitchen (by Halloween?)!

• cpartist
    13 years ago

I'm so jealous your kitchen reno is going so fast. (no not really. Happy for youl)

Breezygirl, our contractor quoted us 3 months for a full condo redo. We were supposed to be in by Sept. HAHAHAHA! Most likely we'll be in by in by mid Nov if lucky. If I were you, I'd double the time given, not just add a month. If you only add a month, then you'll be stressed and unhappy. If you double it and the GC gets finished in less time, you'll be happy.

When we started DH believed the GC. I knew better and tried to explain to him that 3 months actually means 6. I'm not stressed, he is and I'm usually the one who gets stressed. I expect things to go wrong, things to be late, etc.

• red_eared_slider86
    Original Author
    13 years ago

@ flwrs_n_co: Thanks! So I'm not alone in my island hate! LOL. I guess they work for some people, but we just hated ours. We are, however, shopping around for a stand-alone butcher block that will sort of be like an island, only it'll be portable and have lots more character than the old island had. We're really loving the new design.

And cute witch!

• igarvin
    13 years ago

what an improvement!!!! :) can't wait for final pics and your thoughts

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations