Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annab6_gw

Electrical being done next week, am i forgetting anything?

annab6
15 years ago

Other than the ceiling lights, here is what I have on my list:

- undercabinet lighting

- lights inside glass cabinets

- main refrigerator and undercounter refrigerator

- range hood

- electric oven

- microwave

- dishwasher

- GD (do they need to know the exact model to do the electrical?)

- instant hot in case we want it

- outlets for the island and the perimeter

Are there any devices I am forgetting or anything that I may want to add later and would rather have electical connection for?

Comments (10)

• farmhousebound
    15 years ago

We are having electrical pulled right now as well. DH was walking me through last night and we realized that they had not pulled for TV that we will be wall mounting in kitchen. I also have a couple of old clocks that require outlets which are higher up on the walls. If you have a pantry, do you have outlets scheduled for in your pantry? We will be keeping a toaster oven and dust buster in there so DH had a couple of outlets placed for items such as this. If you are going to have a phone w/ an answering machine, might want to know where you are putting so that outlets are placed. Also something to consider, our electrician placed a separate dedicated outlet for microwave. Good luck!

• bob_cville
    15 years ago

What about the perennial Garden Web favorite: Outlets inside cabinets for charging cellphones without having them sitting on the counter.

• kimkitchy
    15 years ago

Similar to what farmhousebound said, don't forget the broom closet. An outlet there allows for recharging my ever handy swiffer vac! And for our wall mount TV our electrician got one of those old fashioned recessed clock outlets. It works well and means the TV can be as flush as possible against the wall. Cheers!

• cabman
    15 years ago

I did not see the garbage disposal if you are having one.

• farmhousebound
    15 years ago

DH is having a small hot water tank installed under the sink because it is located so far from our hot water tank and takes forever for me to get hot water--I noticed during walk-through he had electrician place an outlet for it as well.

• live_wire_oak
    15 years ago

Add more "countertop" outlets than you think you will need. Make it 3 20 amp "small appliance" GFI circuits instead of the required 2. THe trend is towards more electronics, not less. Think about serving a meal buffet style and plug in in crockpots, warmers and coffee pots and locate a bunch more outlets in that zone. I like outlets in a base cabinet or pantry for chargers for cordless drills, dustbusters, stick brooms, etc.

You need a dedicated non GFI 115 outlet for each fridge, microwave, dishwasher, instant hot, or other appliance that will involve heat. These do NOT need to be on the required small appliance circuits. They need their own lines. If you have a gas cooktop/range, consider running a 50 amp 230 circuit to each location as well while the walls are open. You may want to change out to induction or an electric range at some point. Think about where you might locate a warming drawer in the future if you don't have one now. Close to the cooktop or close to the eating area are both good choices.

Think about electric warm floor heating for any future tile floor. Think about recessed general lighting. Pendant lighting. Accent spot lighting focal points. Over cabinet lighting. Undercabinet lighting in zones.

Dimmers for everything.

• maydl
    15 years ago

What about over-cabinet lighting? We were "forced" into fluorescent over-cabinet lighting by California energy-saving regulations; it's the first light switch we hit as we enter the room. The over-cabinet lighting is now our absolute favorite. It's very dramatic, and it supplies plenty of indirect light for navigating the kitchen at night. We don't need any other lights on unless we're cooking or doing other tasks.

• wa8b
    15 years ago

Be sure to get an outlet next to where you plug in the phone. Cordless phones need a power source.

If you plan to have a TV in the kitchen, be sure you get enough outlets for the TV and DVD players, etc, next to the cable or antenna jack.

• kev_800
    15 years ago

You should also remember to wire for in-ceiling speakers if at all possible. You can get a nice pair of in-ceiling/wall speakers for $250 and think about getting a volume switch in the kitchen as well.

• Buehl
    15 years ago

We also put outlets inside our refrigerator cabinet. Also, not only do you need an outlet for a TV (if you plan on one), but also a cable connection and, possibly, a phone line (we have satellite & need a phone connection). We also put in a phone landline behind our message center niche along with outlets for charging cell phones.

Also consider wiring for speakers and computer...

We have plugmold along one wall of cabinets and regular outlets along the other (toaster on one side, TV on the other). It's funny, I've never had an appliance stay on a counter except my mixer, but for the first time our toaster now sits out "permanently". My DH & kids love having it there. I even moved the bread drawer to that side of the kitchen b/c of the toaster!

Do you have a coffeepot out all the time? Don't forget to locate an outlet directly behind it. (If you can, plan for the coffeepot not too far away from a water source.)

Switches...be sure you have light switches at all entrances to the kitchen. Oh, and if you have a peninsula, locate the switch to the lights (pendants?) overhead so it can be reached from both sides of the peninsula (a mistake we made...it's only accessible from the kitchen...we have to go into the kitchen to turn on the peninsula lights!)

You might also ask on the Lighting and Electrical Wiring Forums if they have any other suggestions.

Here is a link that might be useful: Home Forums

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!