Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oldryder

Can your fabricator do this?? granite sink

Thought I'd share this as only fab shops with some real craftsmanship can do one of these. Pics don't show it but the bottom of the sink bowls are ground and polished to provide a natural flow towards the drains (which use standard drain flanges)

Comments (11)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

Nice.

How is the sink set?

This post was edited by Trebruchet on Thu, Oct 17, 13 at 11:45

• williamsem
    10 years ago

Wow, that's impressive!

I love that stone! DH would have latched on to that and paid almost anything if he saw it when we were shopping.

• badgergal
    10 years ago

I never thought to ask my fabricator to do a granite sink but I think he could have done it because he did a granite shower base for us. The shower base also uses standard drain flanges. Our plumber insisted on two drains (although the fabricator said one would work just fine) because he didn't want any possible overflow since there is such a low profile threshold.

It is a little hard to see in this picture but the fabricator also cut a pattern of slight lines into the base to make it slip resistant.

What do you think oldryder?

• PRO
    Granite City Services
    Original Author
    10 years ago

sink is set like a normal apron sink, it is sitting on it's own support structure and is shimmed if necessary to get it up to the underside of the countertop.

badgergal; yes, we also do showerpans and have a couple of patterns that can be used to provide traction if the customer is concerned about the coefficient of friction on the sloped basin. It is also possible to laminate the typical 3CM countertop material so you have 6CM or roughly 2-1/2 inches of depth to work with for the shower pan.

A sink is actually a LOT more work than a shower basin and takes more skill since the ground sink bottoms have to be brought back to a polish.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    10 years ago

What! No runnels?! ;)

That sure is pretty--and impressive.

• localeater
    10 years ago

That sink is too pretty to put dishes in!

• badgergal
    10 years ago

Thanks for the additional info oldryder. I hope you realize that there will now be an increased demand for granite sinks by GWers. The one you posted is beautiful.

• oldbat2be
    10 years ago

WOW WOW WOW. Love it! I'm imagining an entire kitchen built around these countertops, with perhaps dark countertops and disappearing hardware.

Please remind me in which part of the country you work your magic?

Best - oldbat2be

• PRO
    Granite City Services
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Our shop is in central MN but we have done jobs in our local 5 state area plus as far west as Montana and as far south as Florida. In each case those far away jobs were vacation homes for folks that had already used us for work in our normal service area.

The stone in the photo's is called "Silver Wave"; not a particularly expensive stone.

• peony4
    10 years ago

Fine craftsmanship, oldryder!

I'd get dizzy looking down in that sink every day, though.

• raehelen
    10 years ago

Superb attention to detail in matching pattern from counter to pattern in sink! Makes it look like it was all cut and carved out of one piece!

Makes me smile to see such obvious pride in workmanship!