Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gabbythecat

Finish for drawer pulls?

gabbythecat
10 years ago

The appliances and sink in our new kitchen will be stainless steel; the lights in the kitchen/great room will be bronze - this is an open floor plan. What finish should the cabinet pulls be? The countertop is tropical brown, if that matters? Or do I just choose pulls that I like and disregard the issue of coordinating finishes?

Thanks...

Comments (8)

• ginny20
    10 years ago

Hold different finishes up to the cabs and see which you like. (I bought one each of various pulls at big box stores, then returned them.) Lots of us have different finishes. Some even have different finishes on pulls on top vs bottom cabs or on perimeter vs island. I have ORB pendants and pulls but SS sink, faucet, appliances. Nothing says it all has to match, it just has to work together.

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

What Ginny said. The way the pulls look against your cabinets is much more important than how they look compared to the light fixtures.

Lots of samples, lots of two-sided tape!

• gabbythecat
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So I have to wait until the cabinets arrive? I'm looking at ebay right now - hard to return to ebay...this is going to be rustic (log cabin) - maybe I just continue with the rustic concept and not obsess about finish matching?

• ginny20
    10 years ago

Do you have a door sample? Or access to a sample? Or is there a pretty close door in a display at the same big box store? Then you could just carry the knobs over from hardware and hold them up. But yes, it really is best to see the pulls against the door itself or some reasonable facsimile. The style of the door will also influence the style of the pulls/knobs. I thought I wanted more elaborate ones, but ended up with much simpler lines. It pays to be really sure about this, even if it means living with blue tape to open your cabs for a while. And keep an open mind - there are lots more finishes than just brushed nickel and ORB. You never know what you'll love.

• gabbythecat
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nope. I don't have access to a door sample - these are being custom made (made *now* - eeek!) in a town some distance from here, Delivery, installation set for about 3 weeks from now, I think. They're knotty hickory, natural finish...I'd like to do twig pulls and pine cone knobs, to match our nature theme in the house, but pulls in general can get kind of grimy in a kitchen - too elaborate can be difficult to clean. I'll probably just go with rusted iron (that look, anyway). Kind of rough looking, but not so rough that they'll be difficult to clean.

Thanks for the input, you guys!

• susan27
    10 years ago

For a rustic look on the hickory wood, Definitely I'd go with a darker bronze finish to pop against the wood. Basically the real color of a twig, right? Good luck with your project!

• susan27
    10 years ago

For a rustic look on the hickory wood, Definitely I'd go with a darker bronze finish to pop against the wood. Basically the real color of a twig, right? Good luck with your project!

• raehelen
    10 years ago

Keep in mind the comfort of the handle itself too. I have pudgy hands, so handles with only 2-3" spacing between the bars that attach them to the cupboards are not comfortable for me to use. One of the advantages of having a sample of the handle is you can actually play with it, feel how easy it is to use, etc. Having said that, I DID order online for both my two bathrooms, but felt I needed to do the kitchen ones in person. Maybe cuz you're pulling those drawers open more often?