Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mallorygins

Soapstone counter with carved drainboard

mallorygins
9 years ago

Beach Style Kitchen by Laguna Beach Design-Build Firms Clark Collins - Collins Design & Development

Beach Style Dining Room by Laguna Beach Design-Build Firms Clark Collins - Collins Design & Development
This Kitchen is similar layout to mine. I didn't want dark counters because I worried it would break up the space and suck out the light. But, this kitchen is so beautiful. I am second guessing the all white kitchen.

Anyone have soapstone counters with drainboard?

Comments (11)

• itsallaboutthefood
    9 years ago

I do, but mine does not have runnels, its a sloped rectangle adjacent to the sink.I keep my dish rack there and it's always full of drying pots and pans and anything I've handwashed. I love the drainboard.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

I did in my last kitchen. I liked them.

• barlowmom
    9 years ago

Have it now. Cost an extra $250. Smaller than I expected because I brought my sink cabinet forward so it sits 3" proud of the rest of the run.

In my house it's always used because our dishwasher doesn't dry sippy cups well, but that also means I never see it.

Would you use it, or just admire it (not that you shouldn't get it if you'll just admire it :) ).

• hyjenist
    9 years ago

We have a carved drain board, no runnels. I am not a fan of things on the counter. Do not even own a dish rack anymore!

• scrappy25
    9 years ago

Hyjenist and itsallaboutthefood, can you post pictures of your carved drainboards without runnels? Can you use that part as a regular countertop if needed? Can you let us know the max depth of the cutout at the edge of the sink. the length of the drainboard perpendicular to the counter, and how effective it is at draining?
    thanks!

• Swentastic Swenson
    9 years ago

I don't have a drainboard but I really, really wanted one.

If you do decide to get one, make triple sure your fabricator knows what they're doing and ask to see samples. When I asked ours they said "Sure! We've done that before!" Well, long story short they had done it on composite with a different machine and tooling than is used for soapstone. It took them weeks of failed attempts to determine they didn't actually have the capability. Broke my little heart to pieces.

As far as size and depth, you'll want to make sure the taper is at least 3/8ths, maybe even 1/2" deep depending on how long the runnels are. How long they are is totally dependent on you - I measured my dish rack and designed them to fit underneath it without the feet falling into any of the runnels.

**le sigh**.... I really wish I was able to have them done....

This post was edited by Swentastic on Thu, Oct 2, 14 at 11:42

• itsallaboutthefood
    9 years ago

Here is a picture of mine...it's about 12" x 17" (I think...hard to tell where it starts) and only a 1/4" deep at the sink end.

It is very shallow but it is enough to get the drips to drain into the sink. Occasionally I'll see a little puddle of water on it if there is not enough water to make it flow. But it's never been a problem. I'm not one to worry about water spots etc....I'm focused on function.

I've never used mine as a regular countertop since my dish drain rack is always there...but it is so shallow that I'm sure it could be used that way. Things placed there would not slide into the sink unless you pushed them.

My counters were fabricated by M. Teixeira in SF. They have some pictures and advice about drainboards on there website. Scroll down to the bottom of the page.

Here is a link that might be useful: M. Teixeira soapstone counters

This post was edited by itsallaboutthefood on Thu, Oct 2, 14 at 21:15

• scrappy25
    9 years ago

thanks Swen and foodie!
    And thanks to the OP GinzHomestead for posting this thread.
    I think an integrated countertop crainboard is now added to my kitchen.

• sundownr
    9 years ago

Here's our soapstone drainboard with runnels (in the link).

I have the drawings from the soapstone company if you want them emailed.

We use ours to thaw meat, cut meat on cutting board in case the juice runs, lay dishes while hand washing before drying. I also use it like a regular countertop (lay a cutting board on top of it to chop veggies, etc).

Here is a link that might be useful: Soapstone drainboard with runnels

• mallorygins
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Great questions scrappy25! I can see the added value and function. Thanks for the answers and pictures.

• athomeinvagw
    9 years ago

I have a drainboard similar to itsallaboutthefood's on the left side of my sink and wish I had put a second on the right. As sundownr said, there are so many uses for it besides just drying dishes and it does not affect the counter for normal usage.

Sponsored
Preferred General Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Fairfax County's Specialized, Comprehensive Renovations Firm