Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ilin_gw

Stuck on the backsplash!

IliN
10 years ago

My counters are finally in! We went with Caesarstones Misty Carrara, which is a little brighter than I thought (looked grayer in the sample) but it looks good. I am stuck on the backsplash choice. I was going to go with a light gray Ann sacks ceramic subway tile however I am now wondering if it should be a darker shade of gray to make the cabinets pop. What do you think?

ps The electrician managed to DENT my lovely island caesarstone whilst installing the lights!! The rep is coming to have a look at it. I hope they don't have to replace the whole thing.... Ugh!

[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/IliLexy/media/null_zps29523e19.jpg.html][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v97/IliLexy/null_zps29523e19.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

I was going to go with the left one but wondering if it's too light? The rest are out as they don't match the paint. There is also an option of a medium gray GLASS tile however I am not sure it goes with my kitchen as it's a little more traditional?

Thanks!!!

Comments (26)

• rosylady
    10 years ago

I like it. Your kitchen is really pretty too:)

• pricklypearcactus
    10 years ago

I think like the light gray sample, though it's a little hard to see. Can you post a close up picture of the samples and the counter? I personally would not want to go too dark as the overall feel of your kitchen is fairly light.

• mark_rachel
    10 years ago

I think it will look good, but a little bland for my taste. Have you looked at cracked glass tiles?

• SparklingWater
    10 years ago

Is that Dove Gray AS ceramic? Are you focusing on Ann Sacks?

• jesshs
    10 years ago

I would go darker gray. And I say that as a person who does not like high contrast for herself. But I just think from across the room your kitchen will look too white/light with the gray tile on the left in your picture. One or two steps darker in color will I think provide adequate, but not stark, contrast. I would also go with a warm toned gray myself.

• msbubbaclees
    10 years ago

I think you could consider a glass tile--if you pick a standard subway 3" x 6" and install it in a brick pattern, it would be a nice mix of more contemporary and traditional. Seems like it'd be worth checking out a few samples, at any rate. If glass just doesn't 'sing' to you, then you'll feel happier about your initial choice.

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

I like the gray tile or possibly a gray crackle if you want a bit of variety.
    Your kitchen is looking great!!!

• jellytoast
    10 years ago

My vote ... I love the light grey tile you've picked and think the contrast is perfect against the white cabinets, not too dark and not too light.

• ellendi
    10 years ago

I agree with prickly. Going too dark will create a cave like effect in you light and bright kitchen.
    I would try to find a very light gray but with color variation within the tile.
    I also agree that glass would not be the best choice for your traditional kitchen.
    For fun, I am going to look around on the internet and see if I can find examples.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

I like the idea of gray, but I think you need something with a little pattern to it. Your counters read plain, so you need a backsplash with some bite, but it doesn't need to be bold or in your face, it can be subtle, just interesting, otherwise I think the whole kitchen will just look flat.

• berardmr
    10 years ago

I like your choice on the left. I think it will be perfect in your kitchen. I think the darker the color, the more easily you tire of it. Just my 2 cents.

What is the name of that tile? It's almost a blue-gray, at least it looks that way on my screen.

• Gracie
    10 years ago

Agree you need some pattern to give this kitchen some pizzazz. It's just a little too formulaic right now. You only have a small area to backsplash, so you could do anything without making it look too busy.

• rkb21
    10 years ago

I like your choice. I think it will in step with the light airiness of your kitchen. It's beautiful, by the way!

Sorry about your counter mishap. I hope it all gets resolved quickly for you.

• romy718
    10 years ago

I'm just finishing up a white kitchen and chose a light gray crackle subway tile with some color variation. Your kitchen is beautiful. I can see your pretty gray paint in your eating area. What color is it? Love your cabinet door detail.
    Good luck - choosing backslash, I found it very difficult.

• eam44
    10 years ago

It's a beautiful kitchen. I agree with you that you might find glass subway tile a little modern for the space. But you have so many options. A darker grey will look more like the wall paint, so you have to decide whether you want your bs to blend into the walls and disappear, or whether you want it to have some presence.

Have you considered using a color other than grey? Even if you're sold on grey, would you consider a mix of glossy and matte glazes in the same color to give some texture? The image below is of Heath Ceramics Tapestry tile in glossy and matte finishes laid in an argyle pattern. It's available in many glaze colors, including several greys, neutrals, and naturals, like the Morrel Colorway shown below. I think it would be lovely in your space.

Here is a link that might be useful: Heath Ceramics

• klhoush
    10 years ago

White kitchens are in fashion every 20 years or so. It's the accents that make or break the entire project.

You need a strong color. Make a commitment and have some fun! You can repaint those gray walls when you find them depressing, but the backsplash is harder to change. Don't choose gray. It is a non-color, cold and rainy.

Put some sunshine in there and live!

• berardmr
    10 years ago

I like your choice on the left. I think it will be perfect in your kitchen. I think the darker the color, the more easily you tire of it. Just my 2 cents.

What is the name of that tile? It's almost a blue-gray, at least it looks that way on my screen.

• mpagmom (SW Ohio)
    10 years ago

The one on the left is SUPER pretty with your kitchen.

• azmom
    10 years ago

Like your choice. It is wonderful for the entire space. You could always add "fun" "color" with smaller items that are easy to change.

• herbflavor
    10 years ago

ooh ....that last one from EAM is so great...mixed gloss..wow..go for that! Your kitchen can handle the interest..maybe a little softer color than the morel.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

I love the left one. You can go crazy with wall paint, accessories, etc. but you'll have the tiles for a long time.

• mark_rachel
    10 years ago

Maybe something like this? I stole it from another thread. I think a pattern would add great texture.

• sunsoleil
    10 years ago

Teachertile's suggestion is gorgeous and timeless!

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

I love the one on the left but I having been longing to see someone use Susan Jablon milk glass mosaic tiles. They are gorgeous and so is your kitchen. They are a great match, imo.

If I had done a white kitchen this is what I would have used!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: My all time favorite bs

• romy718
    10 years ago

I love that Susan Jablon BS also. That kitchen is one of my favorites.

• sunsoleil
    10 years ago

The Susan Jablon is beautiful and very reasonably priced for such a lovely glass tile.
    http://www.susanjablon.com/3-4-inch-curved-white-milk-glass-subway-tile.html