Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
psfw_gw

gas or induction

psfw
13 years ago

I would love any and all thoughts on gas and induction. Which you prefer and why. Thanks so much to all replies!

Comments (74)

• divotdiva2
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

sorry for the late post. I have the Kenmore Elite induction, I love it. No gas in our neighborhood, would have to install a hideous propane tank in the yard. The instruction book does caution you against allowing sugar to melt or be left on the cooktop to prevent pitting the glass, I've had no problems in three years.

• country_smile
    13 years ago

I've had induction for 1 1/2 years and have NO complaints. I was prepared to buy a Wolf gas cooktop, but when I saw the induction demonstrated I was intrigued. Power outages didn't factor in because we have a generator, and the heavier electric line needed wasn't a problem because we completely gutted the kitchen and everything was open.

My list of benefits for induction:

- efficient, no extra heat in kitchen
    - control for cooking
    - low simmer - goodbye double-boiler
    - easy clean-up (many times I use a paper towel under the pan)

- quick boils (guaranteed - the 1st time you use it, something will boil over because you're not used to the speed & power)
    - safe - no open flames
    - timers/automatic turn-off feature (on all 5 hobs)
    - child safety lock
    & I'm probably missing other benefits (if your kitchen is small, induction gives you more usable workspace)

the drawbacks:
    1) the gas thrill (you know what I'm talking about)
    2) some brands need a lot of clearance underneath but mine didn't (have an oven below it)
    3) I can't can on induction (but now I use a Camp Chef with two 30,000 btu each that keeps the heat and mess outside!)

I'd do it again with no hesitation. It was the right choice for me. I'll save the gas if/when we change our summer house (a few steps from the house) into a canning kitchen.

newcastlemom: You're going to LOVE your new Miele.

• macybaby
    13 years ago

So far, not being able to can on the cooktop is the only drawback I've found.

I only used my smaller Presto canner on the electrci gastop, so I didn't lose much.

While I do the serious canning in my summer kitchen, I invested in a good quality hot plate for my indoor canning - and this works better as I don't have a big canner hogging up all the room on the cooktop - this comes into play when I'm canning meat and it needs to process for an hour and a half - that is a long time to have a significant portion of my cooktop unavailable.

• User
    13 years ago

For me the choice would be gas, hands down. On the other hand, if my only option was electric, I'd probably go with induction or a mixed electric coil/induction cooking surface.

• billp1
    13 years ago

We have a choice between Gas or Induction and have decided to go with Induction. Too many positives and no negatives for our daily use in the Kitchen.

• sochi
    13 years ago

Funny I just asked my husband this question this morning. We've had our induction for about 8 months now, after about 8 years with gas. His answer was the same as mine: induction, no question. I love how responsive it is, how easy it is to clean (or rather I really hated cleaning our gas ranges). I love the automatic turn off on the induction. And water boils so quickly!

Anyway, we are a family of four with young children and we have found the Miele four burner induction just about perfect. I really much prefer it over gas.

• ajard
    13 years ago

I thought I would not survive in my home when we bought it 4 years ago because we couldnt have gas.. I ALWAYS cooked on gas... I HATE electric... I thought I was settling for 2nd best when I got the induction.. once I got it 2 years ago.. I can honestly say... I didnt settle for 2nd best.. it is AMAZING.. and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it! I have the wolf 5 burner cooktop. I didnt choose it for the wolf name.. I picked it because of the layout.. I prefer my largest burner to be in the upper right , not the middle like the GE monogram and I like the etching design on it

• psfw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sochi, thanks so much for your response. I think I will change and go with induction. I have had electric or years. Gas or induction is an option for us. My first choice was induction, but let a chef talk me into gas, darn! Thank goodness we have not yet ordered cabinets. My husband will have a fit, lol. By the way, I LOVE your kitchen! Are you pleased with your quartzite? I wanted marble until I looked at your pics. Sounds like this is the way to go. What about your ventilation choice, did you consider downdraft? Thanks so much for your info! One more thing...What brand is your induction?

• plllog
    13 years ago

Another good reason for loving induction? Cooking while in no good shape. I was exhausted the other day and had to make dinner (sometimes toast doesn't cut it no matter how badly one wants to beg off). I managed not to chop my fingers or anything, and poured the wine into a measure rather than straight into the pan, but if I'd been using the gas I still would have started a fire! With the induction, I just finished what I was doing and wiped up the wine later.

Two more good features of the Gaggenau--it doesn't seem to get smeary easily. It's only "cleaned" once a week, most weeks, and wipes up between with a sponge and water without looking bad. Also, the knob keeps one from leaning on the controls. :)

• sochi
    13 years ago

psfw - thanks for the kind words! We have the Miele, just four burners. Most seem to get five, but four seems sufficient for us.

I've heard a few professional chefs say they prefer gas - perhaps it is better if you cook for a living, I couldn't say as I don't cook professionally - but for every day use I'm just find the induction: it is simpler, easier, faster, etc.

Yes, I'm very pleased the quartzite, no problems at all yet. A couple of times I've seen something horrible on the counter and thought - here it is, my first stain, etch, whatever - but it has always come clean with mild soap and water. We don't baby it at all anymore. I still love it. I still love marble too - I would urge you to go with what you love, assuming you know the pros and cons of marble. It does require more babying, but is so lovely. I guess quartzite is a good compromise - most people who come into my kitchen think it is marble.

We have the basic Miele hood fan for ventilation. Honestly it is the thing I like least about my kitchen. I very much wanted a down-draft, but the wise people here on the Board talked me out of it - they aren't as practical or as good at removing steam, grease, etc. I really wanted a clean wall with just shelving, no fan. Oh well. The Miele fan looks okay and works well, but I'm still bitter about it. In its favour - when I forget to turn it on the art (framed pictures) I have on my fall fog up from the steam - so I do wonder if they would have been quickly ruined if I did go with the downdraft.

There are many threads about the pros and cons of downdraft if you are interested.

Good luck!

• marcydc
    13 years ago

pllog has a good point. My husband was just saying yesterday that this fire extinguisher we have under the sink is far important than it used to be. Pretty hard to start a fire without a spark (thanks Bruce).

I love my Miele induction too. I've boiled over things pretty often and it all stays on there and there is no mopping up burners after that fun. Very easy to clean too.

• northcarolina
    13 years ago

Do you all have any trouble with old timey cast iron (not enameled) scratching your induction cooktops?

• marcydc
    13 years ago

I meant to type "far less important".

I have 2 old cast iron pans that I bought for like 5 bucks at antique stores. They have not scratched it all. I was a little concerned because they certainly aren't smooth on the bottom.

Some folks put a paper towel under them. Just be sure it isn't a printed one :)

• sigma2010
    13 years ago

I bought a portable induction stove while we do our kitchen remodel. I love the induction stove and it is fast and easy to clean. But it is too late for me to change mind. I already bought wolf gas range.

One thing I was told about induction is you can not use induction stove if you have some medical device inside your body( pacemaker for heart). I don't know if it is true.

• plllog
    13 years ago

I haven't found any reports of induction actually interfering with a pacemaker. The magnetic field is designed to end right above the surface of the cooktop, which is why you can't keep cooking if you lift the pan, even if the unit doesn't turn off. If you bent down way over the unit, or layed flat on it, it could cause a problem for a device which uses electricity or has iron/steel in it. There are some recommendations that pacemaker users do not touch the metal pan or a metal utensil in the pan, for a long period of time. Another good reason to use wood or silicone. Even so, I don't know how likely it would be that something happened. It's just that on the off chance that it might that they make sure to give you warnings so that you can limit the risk (and they can say they warned you).

From the abstract of Do induction cooktops interfere with cardiac pacemakers? by Werner Irnich and Alan D. Bernstein, Europace 2006 8(5):377-384
    Conclusion Patients are at risk if the implant is unipolar and left-sided, if they stand as close as possible to the induction cooktop, and if the pot is not concentric with the induction coil. Unipolar pacing systems can sense interference generated by leakage currents if the patient touches the pot for a long period of time. The most likely response to interference is switching to an asynchronous interference mode. Patients with unipolar pacemakers are at risk only if they are not pacemaker-dependent.

• northcarolina
    13 years ago

Re. the cast iron -- thanks, good to know! My old cast iron pans are my favorite ones. :)

• plllog
    13 years ago

Northcarolina, What does scratch the glass is salt or sugar. If you have scratchy seasoning on the bottom of your pan, which might be crystaline, you can burn it off if you're worried.

• cj47
    13 years ago

I have been using an old cast iron pan on my induction cooktop. It's not smooth on the bottom, so I was worried about scratching. I put a piece of parchment under the pan. It makes it rather slidey, but it's better than scratching my new Miele! On the plus side, the cast iron does a phenomenal job, and I'm looking into getting a few more pieces.

Cj

• cakequeen
    13 years ago

I just put in a gas wolf cooktop. It seems to be fine, though I do miss my Dacor. I had the opportunity to use a small induction cooktop while in Italy last month and wow, it was impressive! Easy to sue, beautiful, built in timer. Loved it. I considered an induction before putting in the wolf but love my beautiful copper pots and hated the higher price. Now I'm having second thoughts.

What kind of electrical connection is required for induction?

• plllog
    13 years ago

Cakequeen, you can find the installation instructions for the various units online, but I think in general you'd need a dedicated 50 amp circuit.

• doonie
    13 years ago

Well...I finally have my Wolf Gas Rangetop. I love how it works and seeing the flame is so gratifying. However, the cleaning part is a drag.

I'd like to keep it looking brand new, but the grease splatters down onto the surface under the grates and that is tough stuff to remove.

Induction seemed so new fangled to me that I didn't give it enough thought prior to purchasing. The cleaning part sounds wonderful to me
    right now. Once they come up with a scratch resistant induction top...I'm there! (oh. but I have this new Wolf Rangetop, so maybe not;)

• davidro1
    13 years ago

I thought of a new product to solve this problem.
    "Once they come up with a scratch resistant induction top..."

They can put a coating on the bottom of pots and pans.
    They can sell it as induction-only.
    Teflon type, non stick coating.
    There are people who would buy a large quantity of new pots and pans.

Within 6 to 12 months it can be announced if someone hops to it.

hth

• jmcgowan
    13 years ago

Would someone please explain why one cannot "can" on an induction cooktop? I make jam each year -- boil the jars/lids/rings and then the actual jam. I am assuming I can use induction for this, or am I wrong?

Also, does anyone use a griddle on their induction cooktop?

• daphneandrose
    13 years ago

I always had gas until I moved to my latest, hopefully last, house in a historic district. The gas line is at the road and a long way from the house. The gas company wasn't interested in running a gas line for just a cook top. (They wanted me to replace the 2 zone HVAC and hot water heater, and probably give them my first born.) I suffered for almost a year with an antiquated coil electric cooktop, remembering with great longing my Thermador gas cooktop (and conveniently forgetting how every time the cleaning lady came, the electronic starters were full of cleanser and wouldn't work and I had to clean them with a toothbrush and q-tips, negating the point of a cleaning lady, and how dirty my beautiful tile back splash got--short term memory loss can be very good for your mental health). I dubiously bought an induction cooktop in July and we have loved it! I was lucky to already have pans that would work--I only had to replace the omelette pan.

I went with an Electrolux ICON unit thinking that I didn't want to spend too much money because when the HVAC system does go, I want to splurge on a Lacanche gas range. Now I think I may have to give up the Lacanche! My husband has learned how to make his wonderful fluffy omelettes on induction, it's fast, it's easy to clean, no scratches. My electric bill is $60 less each month. (Really! I couldn't believe it!) My husband who swore we had to have gas loves it. In fact, he has a very long commute and after getting the induction top for the house, he bought a small induction unit for his office and makes his breakfast on it every morning!

I have to admit no one in the family has a pacemaker and I haven't made jam since my middle child was a newborn. And it does look very modern in my Tidewater Colonial historic district house...

• pudgybaby
    13 years ago

jmcgowan: I don't do any canning, but I remember reading about that problem on the appliances forum. I did a quick search over there. Here is one link:

Here is a link that might be useful: Appliance forum thread on canning / induction

• judydel
    13 years ago

As an energy worker I'm very suspicious of induction cooking. Michio Kuchi the father of Macrobiotics feels that cooking at an electric stove contributes to the cooks cancer risk. I doubt Macrobiotics feel that induction is any better. Food and cooking is sacred. Induction cooking creates frenetic energy. I don't want my food cooked that way. I believe that cooking over a flame creates a different, healthier energy in the food more conducive to our biological needs.

The electro magnetic field from an induction cooktop/stove has a range of one foot. So it's important not to lean against the cooktop or stand within one foot of the cooktop.

Below is correspondence with/from a Swedish researcher

Dear Mr. Beavers,
    > > I was given your mail address by Neil Cherry who felt
    >that you may know something about the potential dangers of EMR from the
    >new induction or 'magnetic' cooktops.
    > > These induce heat in ferrous pans by producing a strong local
    >alternating magnetic field under the pans bottom.
    > > As far as I understand the dangers, the question seems to be how
    >local the field is (they are supposed to be around 90% efficient) and
    >the
    >frequency of the alternation. Could you be so kind as to mail me back if
    >you have any data on these or know anybody else who may be able to help.
    > >
    > > Many thanks
    > > Marius Schrecker (Norway)

I have measured a induction stove "Blombergs" and found out the
    following. The field nearby is extreme but falls off rapidly,
    but I could still detect it anywhere in the apartment when it
    was active...

BI BII EI EII
    OFF 100 1,2 250 1,0
    ON, in front at 1 m 400 40
    ON, in front at 30 cm 500 500 150 50
    ON, above at 30 cm 600 >2000 700 200

TCO recommends: BI BII EI EII
    (hope the table (tabulation) goes through the emails still readable).

where BI is magnetic fields 5-2000 Hz given in nT.
    where BII is magnetic fields 2-400 kHz given in nT.
    where EI is electric fields 5-2000 Hz given in V/m.
    where EII is electric fields 2-400 kHz given in V/m.

Sorry to not have the measurements for an ordinary stove
    at hand, but EI and EII and BII would NOT show any increase when
    switched on, and BI would be higher up to say a few thousand
    nT at 30 cm above, but probably less than 400 nT at 1 m.

So, the induction type gives off quite larger fields higher
    up in frequency. As compared to TCO recommendations for
    computer monitors these figures are way off the scale.

Also to be noted is that I measured fields in the medium
    wave band all around the apartment (mostly conducted emissions).
    If you have stray currents these emissions will be worse.

Induction stoves is fascinating but bad technology,
    breaking every precautionary principle we have succeeded in
    adopting.

Clas Tegenfeldt

BEMI
    Tornevalla Gamla Skola
    S-590 62 LINGHEM, SWEDEN

tegen@bemi.se, http://www.bemi.se
    Telephone +46 (0)13-74 000, telefax +46 (0)13-13 47 00

Archive provided courtesy of WaveGuide, http://www.wave-guide.org
    Reprinted with permission of Roy Beavers, http://www.emfguru.com

• macybaby
    13 years ago

The only reason you can't "can" on an Induction stove is because Pressure Canners are made of aluminum (there are some smaller cookers made of stainless, but they usually too small to safely can in).

For BWB (boiling water bath) all you need is a good sized pot, put something in the bottom to keep the jars from bouncing around (even a towel works) and you are good to go.

You do need to make sure your pot fits the hob correctly. The largest diameter pot my unit says is safe is 11". Many "canners" are too big, or don't have a solid flat bottom, but for jam you don't need something that can fit 7 quarts at a time (that works out to 12 half pints or 9 pints).

I use an assortment of stockpots for BWB canning, I have an assortment of trivets and round cake racks to fit. The smallest holds 5 half pints while my big canner holds 12 half pints.

Ball came out with a stainless BWB canner this year. I've not seen it in person, but it will work on induction cooktops. Since I already have an assortment of large stockpots, I don't need one (didn't stop me from wanting it though). I have read reviews from people who have used it on an induction cooktop. I've not seen/used it so I have no idea how good it might actually be.

BTW - I adore the control I have with the induction for making jam and jellies - I never had to take the pot of the burner, just turn it off and turn it back on as needed.
    I just got the book "small batch preserving" and it has a bunch of jam/jelly recipes I've not tried yet - and I have a lot of frozen fruit ready to go.

Cathy

• jmcgowan
    13 years ago

Thanks for your responses on the canning -- very helpful!

• loves2cook4six
    13 years ago

I have induction and have had it for 5 years now. When we remodeled the kitchen the only available hob was an import from DeDietrich so we got it and have never looked back.

It still looks brand new. It has a couple of very small scratches on it but that's all.

For the record I am an avid cook and give this cooktop a real workout on a daily basis.

I also can in the summer using a water bath exclusively.

My Maslin pan fits my medium large hob perfectly and my HUGE stock pot hangs over my largest hob by 1" all round but this is within operating parameters. I can get that stockpot to a rolling boil in about 7 minutes from room temp. The old gas cooktop took about 40 minutes.

I also have a catering business and my specialty is chocolate. Some days I have a pot of chocolate in temper on simmer for the whole day while I mold chocolates.

I love my cooktop.

• macybaby
    13 years ago

loves2cook4six - my new induction cooktop has me thinking of taking out my old candy making equipment - I sure do love cooking on it.

Glad to here yours has been working so well for you.

• country_smile
    13 years ago

I use the Ball stainless BWB canner for my jellies in pints and half-pints and I'd give it a good review. Works great. (My heavy-duty canning of quarts is done outside.)

• judydel
    13 years ago

country_smile do you can outside in the open? What do you can this way? When I learned to can I was impressed by the fact you need to keep contaminants out of the jars. Contaminants can float in the air and settle into the jars. So before/during a canning projects I always:

1. Vacuum the downstairs of our home (our vacuum has hepa filters)
    2. Start with a scrupulously clean kitchen
    3. If there's a breeze I shut the window(s) in the kitchen that are on that side
    4. Sterilize all of the canning supplies.
    5. Fill one jar at a time and cover each one immediately after filling

During my canning projects I also ask that the family tread lightly in the kitchen. In other words, don't dance around and make a commotion . . . don't stir anything up that could land in the jars. When the kids were little they knew they basically had to play outside or upstairs until I was done. I have a reputation for being "crazy" when I am doing a canning project, because I'm such a stickler on canning safety. But I do a lot of canning and I'm not going to take any chances with my family or I getting sick.

So back to the outside canning setup. How do you keep air born contaminants from floating into the jars? Outside the breeze carries everything into the air. Or so you prepare and fill the jars in the kitchen, and bring them outside only to boil them?

• brickeyee
    13 years ago

"Michio Kuchi the father of Macrobiotics feels that cooking at an electric stove contributes to the cooks cancer risk."

Sounds like ignorance in action. Any actual proof available?

"Food and cooking is sacred. "

Not to everyone.

"Induction cooking creates frenetic energy."

Now we have a new kind of energy.
    Induction cooking uses the hysteresis in iron to heat the iron up using rapidly changing magnetic field.

" I believe that cooking over a flame creates a different, healthier energy in the food more conducive to our biological needs."

Please provide some evidence.

Last time I checked heat was heat, and their ARE some studies showing less than safe changes to some food items from extreme heat.

The risk is painfully low, but high direct heat causes plenty of molecular change si food.
    Some are needed to make it digestible, some enhance flavor, and some of the products created may not be safe in larger quantities.

The 'quasi-science' seems to infiltrate from below.

• judydel
    13 years ago

There have been studies on the negative effects of EMF. Manmade EMF is all around us and I try to use due diligence in reducing my exposure in ways that I can. This is the first time in our history that man and animals are being exposed to so much man made EMF. The effects of wireless are being studied and the results aren't good. B. Blake Levitt has written books and articles on these topics. Unpopular discoveries are suppressed. Look at how long we were led to believe that cigarette smoking is harmless. Ha!

Anyway my philosophy is to only do things that feel right to me. Electric cooking, induction cooking feels wrong. I don't want to stand in front of an electric appliance my whole life when I have an option. I also NEVER use a microwave, hairdryer, electric blanket, electric or hybrid car. I keep clock radios or any electric clock away from the bed. I make sure the wires in my house and the electrical box are safe. I don't put a bed on the same wall as the exterior electrical box or spend much time in that location. I only buy cell phones that have the lowest SAR rating available and even then I don't use them much, I never hold a cell phone to my head (it makes me ill when I do), and when I'm not using it it is away from me when possible.

I believe that science is suppressed, misread all the time because of powerful profiteers. Who is to benefit by information related to EMFs and illness? Who is to benefit by suppressing information related to EMF's and illness?

Here are a few reports about studies conduced. Many more studies need to be done. As long as there is doubt, I will err on the side of caution.

Cancer Causes Control. 1999 Jun;10(3):233-43.
    Childhood leukemia and personal monitoring of residential exposures to electric and magnetic fields in Ontario, Canada.
    Green LM, Miller AB, Agnew DA, Greenberg ML, Li J, Villeneuve PJ, Tibshirani R.

Department of Public Health Sciences, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
    Abstract
    OBJECTIVES: To evaluate the risk of childhood leukemia in relation to residential electric and magnetic field (EMF) exposures.

METHODS: A case control study based on 88 cases and 133 controls used different assessment methods to determine EMF exposure in the child's current residence. Cases comprised incident leukemias diagnosed at 0-14 years of age between 1985-1993 from a larger study in southern Ontario; population controls were individually matched to the cases by age and sex. Exposure was measured by a personal monitoring device worn by the child during usual activities at home, by point-in-time measurements in three rooms and according to wire code assigned to the child's residence.

RESULTS: An association between magnetic field exposures as measured with the personal monitor and increased risk of leukemia was observed. The risk was more pronounced for those children diagnosed at less than 6 years of age and those with acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Risk estimates associated with magnetic fields tended to increase after adjusting for power consumption and potential confounders with significant odds ratios (OR) (OR: 4.5, 95% confidence interval (CI): 1.3-15.9) observed for exposures > or = 0.14 microTesla (microT). For the most part point-in-time measurements of magnetic fields were associated with non-significant elevations in risk which were generally compatible with previous research. Residential proximity to power lines having a high current configuration was not associated with increased risk of leukemia. Exposures to electric fields as measured by personal monitoring were associated with a decreased leukemia risk.

CONCLUSIONS: The findings relating to magnetic field exposures directly measured by personal monitoring support an association with the risk of childhood leukemia. As exposure assessment is refined, the possible role of magnetic fields in the etiology of childhood leukemia becomes more evident.

PMID: 10454069 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

--------------------------------------

Pak J Biol Sci. 2007 Dec 15;10(24):4413-9.
    Ultrastructural alterations and occurrence of apoptosis in developing follicles exposed to low frequency electromagnetic field in rat ovary.
    Roushangar L, Rad JS.

Center of Drug Applied Research, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences, Iran.
    Abstract
    Humans are continuously exposed to harmful environmental factors, including Electromagnetic Fields (EMF) produced by home appliances, diagnostic tools and industrial instruments. The present study investigates morphologically the effects of EMF on ovarian follicles. Female Wistar rats were exposed to 3 mili Tesla EMF for 4 h day(-1) for 4 months, the ovaries from both experimental and control groups were processed for Transmission Electron Microscopy (TEM) and TUNEL reaction technique. TEM revealed that in the oocytes from experimental group the nuclei were shrunken and zona pellucida appeared narrower than those in the control group. The number of microvilli were decreased significantly and in their cytoplasm there were several lipid droplets and organels were dispersed. Signs of apoptosis such as condensed nuclei, chromatin margination and nuclear membrane dilatation were common in granulosa and corona radiata cells from the EMF-exposed rats than those from the control group. Primary morphological changes in the granulosa cells from this group were retraction of granulosa cells, loss of microvilli and condensation or loss of mitochondrial cristae. The morphological changes in oocytes seem to indicate the cytotoxic effect of EMF and the changes occurred in granulosa cells coincide with initiation of apoptosis in granulosa cells. Present results suggest that EMF exposure may interfere with normal process of folliculogenesis.

PMID: 19093504 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
    ------------------------------------------

Electromagnetic fields and cancer risks.
    Thériault G.

School of occupational health, McGill University, Montréal, Canada.
    Abstract
    Cancer was first associated with exposure to electromagnetic fields (EMF) in 1979 when Wertheimer and Leeper reported that children dying from cancer resided more often in homes believed to be exposed to higher EMF than did healthy control children. The risks were as high as 2.23 (1.56-3.18) 3.09 (1.68-5.71) for all cancers, 2.98 (1.72-5.15) for leukemia and 2.40 (1.08-5.36) for brain cancers. Wire configuration around houses was used as a surrogate for direct EMF exposure measurements. Wertheimer's finding of an association between cancer and wire configuration around houses has been replicated in two recent studies. However, direct measurement of EMF fields in houses of cancer children have not yielded the same results as the wire configuration around houses, thereby jeopardizing the hypothesis of an association between EMF and cancer. To comprehend the putative association between residential exposure to EMF and childhood cancer, one would have to understand what is hidden behind the notion of 'wire configuration' around the house. In parallel with residential studies, scores of studies were conducted among workers occupationally exposed to EMF. What have we learned from these occupational studies? Hypotheses generating and case control studies have revealed the existence of an excess risk of leukemia among electrical workers. Pooled results have estimated the risk for all leukemia to be 1.18 (1.09-1.29) and for acute myeloid leukemia 1.46 (1.27-1.64). An increased risk of leukemia among electrical workers does not necessarily mean that EMF is a causal agent, other chemicals such as benzene, creosote, solvent, could possibly account for it but this has yet to be confirmed.
    ----------------------

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

Here's what I know about induction: I like it, no, make that I lust after it, but I can't find an affordable induction range ($1000 or so) at this time. Plus, I'd prefer the range to be in white, which is nonexistent, although there are a couple white cooktops now available.

Ended up buying a scratch and dent GE Profile electric range. Life happens.

• JoshCT
    13 years ago

I strongly considered induction, and almost bought the GE induction range a few times, but finally ponied up to install a gas line and got a gas stove. My worries with induction were multiple: I want to be able to shake and lift to toss my pans. I want to control the heat with a knob rather than a touch pad. I want to be able to gauge how hot a burner is by sight. I want simple, proven technology (not to imply that induction is new or unproven, it just seems more complex and I worry about failures). I want to continue using my mish-mash of beloved cookware. After spending over a year learning to cook on electric coils, I did not want yet another learning curve.

I think either one would work well. If you, like me, have a collection of aluminum and copper cookware, and like to make omelettes and crepes with a swirled or shaken pan, you may prefer gas or coil electric. On the other hand, if simple cleaning is your priority and you already own decent stainless and/or cast iron, you might like induction.

After a year with the electric, I might have considered continuing with coils had I lived somewhere where gas was not available. They are not as bad as I had once thought. My stove had a very low low heat setting, which could hold things under a simmer to keep warm, and was much more responsive to knob adjustments than my sister's smoothtop radiant electric is.

• debbie1031
    13 years ago

You are never going to believe my luck! I just bought-tonight- a Siemens 36" 5-burner cooktop on CL(Buffalo, NY)for $300! The guy even delivered it to my house! I kept looking at the serial number: EH95S501E and everything I googled said, electric, and there were separate listings for 36" induction. Then, I finally found an owner's manual on line and found this:"Extra wide touch Slider control induction hob" It is induction! Yippee!!!! He says it is like new, works great, but the wife doesn't want a separate cooktop and wall oven in the new house. Oh my! I either just got the best deal ever or I just bought a lemon! Keep your fingers and toes crossed for me!This will force my remodel- yea!

• psfw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Okay guys...you've talked me into the induction. Now I have to think about ventilation. Do many of you have downdraft? Do you like it? We could have some issues with the hood. This is going on an interior wall, the floors will be exposed so downdraft may be a better option. Thanks!!!

• poppy09
    13 years ago

Judydel: would you mind emailing me? I was in the market also for an induction range; however, after reading your information I will save my money right now and buy a new electric range (gas isn't an option for different reasons).

My father was ill from a rare blood disease and also later developed Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia (adding insult to injury). He passed away three years ago this month. My father was an Electrical Engineer working with electrical components/circuitry, etc. for over 40 years.

I'm interested in the information you posted and would like to ask questions in private, if possible.

Thanks in advance--sorry for the personal note on an otherwise cheery induction comparison!

• brickeyee
    13 years ago

“There have been studies on the negative effects of EMF.”

You forgot to add ‘inconclusive’ in front of “studies.”
    The only conclusive work has shown repeatedly that it is a power level effect.
    High power levels in tissue produce localized heating.

“I also NEVER use a microwave, hairdryer, electric blanket, electric or hybrid car.”

That about says it all.

"I believe that science is suppressed, misread all the time because of powerful profiteers."

Paranoia.
    Folks believe in Santa Clause also.

"As long as there is doubt, I will err on the side of caution."

Better dig as hole in the ground, or at least wrap yourself in copper foil since a conductor (your body) moving in a magnetic field (like the earth’s) induces currents in the conductor.

"according to wire code assigned to the child's residence"

Any study purporting to use “wire codes” is worthless.

"exposures > or = 0.14 microTesla"

The Earths magnetic field away form the magnetic poles measures around 30 microtesla.
    Houston, we have a problem.
    Without a dose response relationship you have NOTHING.

"children dying from cancer resided more often in homes believed to be exposed to higher EMF"

"Wire configuration around houses was used as a surrogate for direct EMF exposure measurements. Wertheimer's finding of an association between cancer and wire configuration around houses has been replicated in two recent studies. However, direct measurement of EMF fields in houses of cancer children has not yielded the same results as the wire configuration around houses, thereby jeopardizing the hypothesis of an association between EMF and cancer."

Opps … Measured field strength "…has not yielded the same results as the wire configuration around houses, thereby jeopardizing the hypothesis of an association between EMF and cancer."

That nasty dose response thing again.

A published paper that admits they do not know what they are doing.

It would appear judydel did not read and understand her own references, and has never considered that a negative ('produce no effect') cannot logically be proven.

• elizabethzen
    13 years ago

When I remodeled my kitchen three years ago I ordered a De Dietrich hob from a store in New Zealand (unfortunately this is no longer an option). It was relatively inexpensive then and probably my smartest appliance purchase. I love this cooktop so much I have even pondered taking it with me should I move! I would not like to go back to gas (which I used to prefer), or worse yet, electric (which I always disliked). If I had to settle for another brand induction hob I would do that, but only after I had made every possible try to get a De Dietrich!

Here is a link that might be useful: De Dietrich

• lucypwd
    13 years ago

I ahve been using my induction cooktop for about two years now.. I initially planned a wolf gas cooktop, but I had never actually owned a gas cooktop. Sure I had cooked on tehm, at rental houses and such, but I had never actually used one day after day. I learned about induction from garden web forums, and started researching. I was still planning on gas, but just thought I should check out all options. Four things stood out for me: first - the concept that if you remove the pot there is no longer a heat source and thereby no fire risk; secondly - no additional heat generated as you cook - saving energy and comfort for the cook - great; third easy quick temperature control from the hottest hot to the very low temps necessary to melt not burn chocolate; FOURTH AND GREATEST, (IMHO), CLEANUP IS SO EASY!! I'm convinced that chefs who prefer gas probably do not wash up their own grates etc. The induction is ridiculously easy to clean . Honestly, just a warm, wet cloth with a touch of dish soap is all you need. However, still on the fence, (after all I had lusted after a gas cooktop forever), the electrician and gas man on hand to run the gas lines, I had to decide. It was as if the two sides of my brain were at war: my right brain - get the huge, heavy, sexy fire breathing dragon , my left brain: - honestly girl - you hate cleanup, you leave burners on, you're often leaving combustibles around the cooktop, your kids aren't big on cleanup either... get the slim, sleek, sexy ready for action cheetah." Well, what's it going to be..do we run the extra gas line or not" - I was rudely brought back to reality by the contractor. With all the advice from the forums whirling in my head I took the plunge and went with the induction. Two years later, I couldn't be happier. Induction is just right for me. Sure there are a few quirky things to get used to, the click of the low settings, the occasional hum of a pan, the tempermental touch pad - DIVA, but overall I I love it. So my kitchen isn't a medieval castle with its very own fire breathing dragon, its a beautiful African grassland with a cheetah ready for action.

• marcydc
    13 years ago

Lucy nailed all the right reasons. When you go see induction in the appliance stores, the sales person usually touts how fast you can boil water. Well, who cares - I'm not THAT impatient.

The safety is the number one reason I've come to realize. I have burned wood and plastic cooking utensils on gas. I've burned dish towels on the flame. I once had a baby sitter put a paper bag of groceries on the range (old one with pilot lights). Luckily my DH was paying attention.

Now my 13 year is cooking a lot. She actually made a good part of yesterday's meal pretty much by herself. She did mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, green beans, and the cranberry sauce with very little help from me. I don't have any worries about her cooking on the induction. Gas requires a whole different level of awareness that I don't think most (if any) 11 and 13 year olds have. I mean, if I can be distracted and burn random things, preteens and teens are way more likely to do so.

I want to raise capable and responsible children. I work full time and they need to take charge of some meals and cleanup. I want them to know what they are doing in the kitchen and I want them to be able to cook when they leave home. There is no full time cook here :) This makes it easier, but most of all, safer for all of us.

I will always have induction now... if we ever move, I will put it in if its not there!

• country_smile
    13 years ago

I love your post, Lucy. good comparison

{{gwi:1960340}}

Judydel: My schedule has kept me quite busy so I haven't had the chance until today to check on this thread, but I'd like to assure you that you need not fear about airborne contaminants. I prepare the food and jars inside. I'm particular about the cleanliness of my kitchen, but I understand that it may be necessary for you to follow your strict cleaning regiment before canning since you have a pet inside your home.
    (Off the topic, BUT... I enjoyed the photos of the colorful produce from your garden on the other thread. I know how much work and how gratifying that task is, however, my grad classes consumed much of my summer and I had to cut back to about 100 qts.this year. PS-I like the sink in your mudroom.)

• lucypwd
    13 years ago

It is a funny thing about kids, I did have a concern about safety with gas cooking. However, recently I find myself reminding the kids, "you know, if this were a regular cooktop, (read electric coil or gas), you couldn't lay the cookbook right next to the pan"; or "girls, if this were a regular cooktop, you would have to remember to turn it off!!" I hope they haven't instilled such carefree habits that they are at risk when they leave home and have a "regular" cooktop.

• rhome410
    13 years ago

I didn't read every post here, but just have something to add from my own recent experience. I wanted induction. I planned on induction. I was dreaming of all the benefits and was 100% convinced it was for me. Then, because of configuration availability at the time, and our need for multiple large burners, we ended up with a 48" Wolf gas rangetop. It had quite a learning curve for me, and really goes against my 'easy-clean' philosophy and one of the biggest reasons I looked forward to induction.

HOWEVER, this week we were without power from Monday dinner time until Thursday after lunch in temps we are not used to here in the Pac NW, the teens and low 20s with windchills in single digits. We have no woodstove and our heat and hot water are electric. We could NOT have stayed in our home if it weren't for our gas rangetop. We were able to keep reasonably warm with lots of layers of clothing and the ability to make warm drinks and hot food. I LOVE MY GAS RANGETOP. :-D

• laurie57
    13 years ago

I have an induction cooktop. I absolutely LOVE IT!! I haven't read all 70 posts, but here are my pros & cons:

PROS:
    Fast & responsive
    Even heating
    Cooktop stays cooler - I worry less about my kitties (or children) burning themselves and it's easier to keep clean.

CONS:
    Need special cookware - have to remember to carry a magnet to the store if shopping for cookware
    Humming - ok, not a real problem, but had to mention

I'll never go back.

• cooksnsews
    13 years ago

I just returned from visiting my cousin in the hospital. She has to have a pacemaker installed. We were reading the bumph that was supplied for the particular unit she is getting, and it recommends not getting it withing 2 feet of any induction cooking appliance. For those of us of "average" height (about 5'4"), that 2 feet is pretty close to our actual positioning for cooking. Sure, various appliances will have varying mag fields, and various pacemakers will have differing sensitivities. But I think it might be most prudent to follow the recommendations of the units one actually gets installed. So, my cousin hopes to get a new gas range for Christmas.

• judydel
    13 years ago

LOL country smile. 100 quarts doesn't sound like you cut back!

• numbersjunkie
    13 years ago

Just had my Bosch (NT8665) induction hooked up and made a huge batch of paella for my friends who have been feeding us every weekend during the construction. I LOVE IT! No humming or fan sound - but my warped cookware does make a pulsing sound.
    Anyway, I was amazed at how well it did the paella - I always struggled with my old electric cooktop to get a large pot to heat up. This was FAST, and I only went to 8 (out of 10). At one point when I was browning the chicken, I set it to 2 and went upstairs to dry my hair. Came back, and resumed the browning process immediately. Perfect!!!!

No regrets here!