Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
doonie_gw

Thoughts on Porcelain Flooring that mimics wood?

doonie
12 years ago

I got an email today from Ann Sachs showcasing their "wood-look" porcelain flooring. I think it's intriguing, but I'm not sure how it would work design-wise. Is it as neutral a flooring element as they are promoting it to be? I'm curious to hear opinions on this look. What sort of kitchen would this type of flooring look good with? There are 3 other colors, all lighter than this dark sample. It's easiest for me to envision the darker tiles, but I'm not sure how the lighter tiles would work in a space.

Comments (11)

• remodelfla
    12 years ago

I have it by Daltile and we LOVE it. Let me preface this by saying I didn't get it to trick people into thinking I had wood. We just liked the look for what it is. We needed tile since we live in So. Florida, have a pool, large dewy yard, and 3 small dogs. Everyone who comes into the house brings up the floor. It's beautiful, resilient, and easy upkeep. Our color is lighter since our home is small. We have it everywhere except the bathrooms.
    Here's the best one I have of the floor while the kitchen was in progress:

Long view:

• String
    12 years ago

I have this in my bathroom and I LOVE it!! I agree with remodelfla...it's not in place of hardwood, it's a completely different look. Easy to maintain though.

• taggie
    12 years ago

I like it! But IMO it needs a darker grout than the white shown in the sample pic. In the sample pic, the eye is drawn to the grout. In remodelfla's pictures, the eye focuses on the beautiful flooring. It's lovely!

• remodelfla
    12 years ago

I agree on the darker grout and thanks for the compliment. We used Spectrloc epoxy grout in chocolate truffle. We wanted as close to lifetime no maintance as humanly possible. Closer look at the grout color:

• doonie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Remodelfa, I love your kitchen! I had no clue that the flooring was a light woodish porcelain. I really like the way you tied everything together. I love tile flooring because of the ease of upkeep.

As far as the darker tiles, I agree that the lighter grout color is distracting. We almost went with this type of flooring in our mudroom, so the photos are great if anyone else has any.

• jsceva
    12 years ago

We are planning to use the Ann Sacks Xylem tile, in the Wenge color (next to darkest color, below ebony) with a dark grout. So obviously, we are fans of the dark versions. Won't be in for a few more months, though. Agree that I am not sure the light works as well.

As far as neutrality goes, I think anyone who buys them thinking they won't be noticed, or will be mistaken for real wood, is going to be disappointed. I do think they are pretty versatile, though, in terms of the overall styles they can fit into. The one big exception would probably be a kitchen which was trying to be period in every respect, where they would stand out as an "inauthentic" element.

• thankurnmo
    12 years ago

I love it, particularly with narrow grout and with the darker tile, a darker grout. and have been toying with using it in my powder room (which is REALLY small) since the rest of the adjoining floor is a white-ish ceramic tile with dark grey grout. I either want something that blends well with the white or is just totally different. (Not a fan of close but no cigar).... and I do have medium wood floors else where on the first floor.
    I envision simply getting white toilet/pedestal sink, medium to dark brown wood look tile, and I cannot figure out what else (like wall color) so I am not doing it yet.
    But back to the question, I love the wood look porcelain and the pix posted look great.

• ellendi
    12 years ago

I have them in my tv room which is off the garage. Mine are similar in color to remodelfla but we have three different size tiles and they look more plank like. Again, they are a nice alternative to plain tiles, and some in the brown wood tones do seem to look very close to wood. I have not seen those in person though.
    For those who can't decide on a tile for the kitchen or a color, the wood tone tiles are a nice option.

• rosie
    12 years ago

Remodelfla, your floor is really lovely. This just jumped onto my someday list, that color too, for our little vacation MH down there. The only issue I see, Doonie, would be attempting to coordinate it with real wood flooring--problematic, unless it's strongly separated, like Sheilaaus's.

• bahacca
    12 years ago

I really like it. I also really like the tile that mimics fabric.

• onedogedie
    11 years ago

Remodelfa - I'm not sure if I ever saw your kitchen reveal and don't tell me if I did and commented before. Let's ignore any senior moments. This morning, I am happy to see it on this thread. It is lovely.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler