Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynn237

microwave question? help me decide

Lyban zone 4
11 years ago

I am looking for a counter microwave and am confused about so many of the knob versus keypads that are now out there.

I have always had a keypad and now that I see this new look I am wondering if it is easy to get used to or am I better off with the keypad.

Anyone have a preference or advice?

I am looking at Panasonic.

Thanks

Comments (13)

• phiwwy
    11 years ago

keypad seems easiest to use but I would base the decision on power, size or where it's going to best fit in your kitchen. the microwaves always drive everybody crazy!

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

I've been looking for a countertop microwave too, one that I can put on a shelf. What has kept me from buying one yet is the percentage of bad reviews for every one of them that will fit on a shelf.

• Elraes Miller
    11 years ago

I was looking at them too and surprised those knobs being on the majority. Even the best ones with more power and size had them. Would much rather have total keypad. Have you considered an under the counter? More options and would give you counter space.

• Madeline616
    11 years ago

Hi lyban,

I wanted to get the knob one for my Mom, whose kitchen I'm re-doing. She was totally not into it, and I understood why--it seems like a real pain. I have to say, though, the Amazon reviewers are crazy about those knobs! They love them. I recall only one person, when I read the reviews, who complained that the knob as annoying.

There were a good few, though, who complained that the Panasonic broke after a very short time. Not sure if this is the same micro you're looking at, but here are the reviews:

Here is a link that might be useful: Amazon Panasonic Micro Reviews

• Lyban zone 4
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank ypu everyone for all the replies, I will check out the amazon reviews madeline.
    I should clarify, I bought myself a new MW after 24 years of use from my old Panasonic, I read all the reveiws and had such a hard time to decide but settled on the Panasonic NNSN690S which is a 1.2 CF keypad and I have had it now 1 year and love it.
    So I am now looking for a new one for my DD and SIL for a gift. I would get them the same one because I like it so much but of course it is discontinued. They tell me the closest to it is NNST681S but it has the knob that is why I cannot decide or I could get the exact same one as mine with keypad but a touch larger at 1.6 CF Mocel NNSN790S.
    So I have to decide knob versus keypad??
    Decisions never used to be so difficult. They now make so many models of everything....LOL

• lalithar
    11 years ago

I did a panasonic too..

Here is a link that might be useful: Panasonic NN-SD681S Genius

• Lyban zone 4
    Original Author
    11 years ago

lalitha,

Can you tell me how you like having the knob versus touchpad.

• veda_2006
    11 years ago

We got a panasonic with the knob only because it was the only one that would fit in the built-in area that we have. We have been pleasantly surprised at how much we like it. I never would have thought so, but it's so easy to use, and now we actually prefer it over a keypad!

• Lyban zone 4
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Veda or lalitha,
    Please explain do you just turn the knob and does it show min. And seconds or something else.

• shannonaz
    11 years ago

I have just started looking at microwaves and knobs seemed weird at first but then I realized that my beloved Breville Smart Oven uses knobs instead of a keypad and it's a really nice appliance...

Here is a link that might be useful: The awesome Breville Smart Oven

• veda_2006
    11 years ago

Right, you just turn the knob and push start. There are one second increments up to one minute, and then after that it is 30 second increments. It's harder to explain than to actually do it!! But the knob turns very fast so it's easy to get the time you want. There are some other auto settings too, and you can set power levels. It's very simple to use. I was really skeptical and would have preferred a keypad, but now I'm totally sold on this one.

• veda_2006
    11 years ago

Lyban, sorry I posted that without saying that there is a window that shows the amount of time you are dialing and a countdown so you can see how much time is left. Hope this helps, not sure I'm explaining myself very well!

• Lyban zone 4
    Original Author
    11 years ago

veda,
    thank you that explains it very well, so maybe I just have to embrace new technology.