Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rudebekia

Shiloh vs. Showplace Inset

Rudebekia
9 years ago

Can anyone comment on the quality of these two brands? They seem pretty equal to me and the quotes came in about the same. I like both KDs! So I need to make a difficult choice. Thanks.

Comments (13)

• kompy
    9 years ago

What door? Inset? Wood? Paint?

I sell BOTH Shiloh and Showplace. They are both very comparable in many ways. And BOTH are GREAT cabinet lines. Here are the differences I can think of at the moment.

1. Shiloh has thicker sides as standard. Showplace offers upgraded thicker side panels.

2. Standard drawer guides nicer on SP. But you can upgrade Shiloh.

3. Standard dovetailed drawer box made of hardwood (maple?) on SP vs. Plywood dovetailed on Shiloh w/ a melamine coated exterior. You can upgrade Shiloh to hardwood. So maybe you had them both quoted in hardwood. Something to check on.

4.The finishes on SP are a little bit better. Showplace offers both satin sheen and low sheen (matte) at NO upcharge.

5. Showplace is pretty custom actually. IF you can draw it, they'll build it.

6. Shiloh only offers concealed hinges on their inset. Showplace offers both concealed and the more traditional exposed butt hinge. So better hiinge choice with SP. I've had clients that wanted a more vintage look and this was the deciding factor.

7. Normally Shiloh will price out a bit lower if using pretty standard cabinet SKU's. But if there;s a lot of modifications, then SP will be about the same price. They offer more unusual cabinet comibinations...whereas with Shiloh, I have to add.

Shiloh is my number one seeling line! I love them both and so do my installers!!! But.....For me, with design, drawers, prices being equal, I would have to say Showplace!

Normally Shiloh prices out $1000-$2000 LESS on a medium to large job, especially if you go with their standard drawer box. However, like I said....if only doing lots of customization, then they should quote out within a few hundred of each other.

• Rudebekia
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh, sorry--I see you also asked whether wood or painted. The answer is painted.

• kompy
    9 years ago

If you are going up to 9ft ceilings....Showplace has one advantage! They offer 'stacked cabinets' as a standard and they'll do TALL cabinets up to 102" tall!!!! With Shiloh, you have to do custom mods to get what you want. And they may have limitations. SP will be easier to design with.

In both lines you can and SHOULD combine cabinets if you are doing flush or beaded inset. This will delete the joint line of screwing two cabinets together.

But I understand that the fit with the KD is important too!

I have to get going.....let me know if you have any more questions.
    KELLY

Ps. I believe that with Showplace the Pendleton W is the SAME price as Pendleton SPW ....which means the center panel becomes a solid wood not veneer. If going with a wood, like cherry....this would be a bonus!

Also Showplace has PGM....paint grade material. Make sure he quotes that if you are doing painted....that helps keep the cost down instead of maple. Shiloh uses just maple. No paint grade material. The PGM is better because the door will expand and contract LESS!!!!!

• Rudebekia
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks kompy! It really sounds like SP wins in nearly every thing you state. I am especially glad you confirmed that paint grade materials are ok to use. I find this issue counter-intuitive. My inclination is to insist that everything is maple, but I have heard from others, too, that pgm can actually be better. That's just hard to process mentally! No doubt you run into this frequently in your kitchen work!.

• kompy
    9 years ago

Yes....my clients are also wary of the PGM as well. But unless you ever plan to strip the cabinets down and stain them...it's a non-issue. Even VERY high end lines use some PGM. Plain & Fancy uses a high density pressed wood for their center panels on painted cabinets. It's just the smart thing to do. The PGM is more stable and you'll have less issues with expansion and paint cracks at the joints.

Shiloh has a custom mod charge of 30%. You can pretty much customization that one cabinet and that's the only charge. This is nice as some lines have a line item for every custom charge. This helps keep the price down if doing lots of mods to one cabinet....that is their max..

But get prices from both and see where they are. I'm sure you can also get 48" upper wall cabinets from Shiloh. I just don't know if you can get the tall units and REF end panels over 96" with Shiloh.

Ballpark figures can be difficult for us KDs. Some are better at it than others. So get some real prices and make sure the layouts are identical! If one even includes extra molding can make a big price difference. LIttle difference here and there can put one $1000+ more than the other. ie. Adding in some flat stock molding for stacked moldings can add several hundred $ and up! Or if one includes decorative or flush finished end panels can make a huge difference too!

Be sure to post back your prices and good luck!
    KOMPY

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

Thank you Kompy for all this valuable information to help many of us! I sure wish you lived near me.

• New Freedom Nurse
    9 years ago

Lynn, 2006

How did you make out? Which cabinet line did you go with and were you satisfied with the cost? I have been looking at Shiloh and Medallion and have a feeler out for Showplace now. I really thought I had decided on the Medallion, but the KD became very aggravated with me. I can somewhat understand why as we have had a few design changes. He was aware that I was looking at other cabinet lines from other vendors, He started becoming aggressive despite the fact that I told him I needed to consult with DH who is across the country. He told me he would price match line for line the Schuler quote I got and then proceeded to down grade the HD glides I had for all of the 3 drawer bases over 24 inches and went from the Calistoga door in maple with APC to the Briarwood without. I did not beleive I could feel comfortable with him after he pulled this fast one on me and left it up to me to catch his "compromise.

Apples to apples he guaranteed and apples to oranges is what he quoted, without telling me and I think assuming I did not understand how to read a quote.

I really am curious to see how your apples to apples came out.

TIA Gayle

• New Freedom Nurse
    9 years ago

P.S. This KD then told me I had been Working"" him all along. Lets you know that as has been said above, the KD is important. You need someone you can TRUST and who is above board. Not exactly life or death, but important none the less.

• slk7e7
    9 years ago

Just want to echo the thanks to Kompy. We are looking at Shiloh vs. CWP (Custom Wood Products) although don't have pricing yet- just finalized our layout. Any thought on CWP? My KD says they are a level above Shiloh but they have an upcharge for inset (as does everyone, I think, except Shiloh) so that may push them out of my budget.

• lindanewc
    9 years ago

I had Showplace installed in my kitchen about a year ago in Pendleton W, cherry wood. It sounds about the same size as yours and we paid $12,500 for the cabinets. They are very nice and we are happy with them. FWIW.

• jl
    6 years ago

I had originally come across this and other threads when trying to decide between Showplace and Shiloh. Based on what I read, they appeared to be about the same in terms of quality, function and features with Showplace potentially being slightly ahead. When comparing contractors and kitchen designers, we ended up selecting the one who sold Showplace.

Overall, I feel like it was a mistake.

We have several drawers that have not "self adjusted" as we were told they would. The drawers end up sticking when pushing them in so you end up having to push them again to actually have them sit flush with the rest of the cabinet. Some parts of the cabinets arrived a bit damaged as if they were dropped and Showplace has so far said that they do not think they are damaged enough to warrant replacing. These cabinets are still functional but the seems are a bit crooked, most likely from being dropped or simply being handled without care. Finally, one item that didn't seem to be mentioned anywhere is that Shiloh seems to include baseboard molding and molding for the bottom of the wall cabinets which creates a much more finished look.

A family member of mine installed Shiloh cabinets. Theirs seem to align better than ours do, feel like higher quality cabinets and overall, look more finished due to the molding.

From my own experience, Showplace and Shiloh are not on par with each other and Showplace is an inferior brand.

• cathybacker
    6 years ago

cb

what state are you located. that you may be able to help me order some cabinets