Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
building and need help please!

Posted by laurensmom21 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 2, 12 at 10:39

Hello all! I've been on the building forum for years, but thought I'd post over here to get your thoughts. We are currently working with our architect and hope to build in the spring. This is my 3rd architect and I'm ready to just throw in the towel and quit. Ugh, why is this process so dang hard!?

ok enough whining :) Here is my latest plan - what do you all think of the kitchen? It's not ideal, but at this point I'm ready to just settle. I had him put the pantry behind the kitchen because I like the symmetry of having 2 doorways flanking the stove. (similar to the pic) But do you think this leaves me with enough counter space? Also, where is the best place to put the fridge? The oven will be with the range and the microwave might go in the pantry.

Also, is there enough walkway space to get to the screen porch? I think there's 3.5' there...I need some help from the experts please! thanks so much :)

1st floor C
kitchen layout

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: building and need help please!

Shift the pantry down till it meets the breezeway. That gives you the opportunity for one more window, and possibly extend the cabinetry into the sunroom for party serving. Then the access to the sun porch isn't through the fridge/stove/prep sink hot zone. It would also let you put a door into the breezeway so groceries could be unloaded from the garage into the pantry rather than having to walk all the way around the kitchen and then through it. Put that secondary sink ON the island at the end facing the fridge and it will serve well as a prep sink or possible beverage sink for snacks. In the cabinet next to the fridge, put either a MW in a cubby or on a shelf below the counter. Frankly, I'd also be really tempted to put the cleanup sink in that location as well since only 20% of your time in a kitchen is spent cleaning up. Then I'd have the area under the window still have an actual beverage sink and under counter fridge to serve for gatherings.

o

GreenDesigns - thanks so much for your feedback, but I'm not sure I'm totally following you. So basically you're suggesting moving the pantry area down by the breezeway and switching the door to the screen porch to be up next to the sink? I'm not sure I really want a prep sink - that little thing he has drawn next to the fridge is a microwave.

Your ideas give me something to think about - but how do I gain a window? Do you think the current fridge location is the only possibility? thanks again!

o

anyone else have ideas?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here