Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sergeantcuff

How to do the Upper Cabinets -1930s Kitchen

sergeantcuff
15 years ago

Hello it's me again with more specific questions about my small old kitchen (10 x 12). I'm feeling better about letting go of the old cabinets. The decision has been made to go with shaker style full overlay cabinets (still deciding on the color - white, cream or pale yellow). I also think I want slab drawers, they look less "busy". Do you think that's a good choice, perhaps no the best, for my vintage kitchen? I've decided against inset because of the cost and the fact that all of the wood in my house swells in the summer.

My goal was more counter space, a built-in dishwasher, and an easier space to clean (more fitted). We are restoring the pine floor and probably getting soapstone countertops (maybe some butcherblock too).

My question is about the area to the left of the sink. It is 30" on the sink side and 52" on the left wall. Is this too small for a corner cabinet? I am waiting to meet with my contractor, but his plans show two separate cabinets, one on each wall. The one next to the sink is very small, maybe it'd be useless?

I also like the shelving around the sink. I'd like to keep the vintage feel of this kitchen and I know modern cabinets will detract for this look. What do you think about having decorative shelving on both sides of the window (and then no shelf above the sink).

I'd like some ideas before I meet with him. I think too many uppers in a kitchen this size will make the space seem crowded and boxed in. I am also not sure about how to do cabinets and vent above the range - I don't want to feel cramped - or block light from the right-side window (which we are shortening). I think the contractor is trying to get us as many cabinets as possible, but we use the same stuff all the time. Also, I have a giant buffet in the dining room and a closet in the basement for seldom used items).

Thanks for your input

Maureen

Comments (14)

• raehelen
    15 years ago

Maureen,

Have you posted a proposed layout on any other post? (I haven't seen it if you have).

So, you are moving the sink? Cuz right now you have more than 30" to the left of the sink.

You could do a corner cupboard, but that would take up the whole 30", so there would be no room for open shelving on the left.

I have a corner cupboard in the same location, and it is useful to put in deeper things like platters, bowls, etc, that are too big for a 12" deep upper. Eventually I'd like to get a double 18" diameter lazy susan built for spices. I have two 12" ones on the bottom shelf, with room for extra big jars around the edges. I find that LS use this space the best, as it's a bit deep to try and reach the back.

There are so many people on this board with great ideas for utilizing space wisely. I am not one of them, but even I can see that you need prep space between your sink and stove. Right now, it looks like you must carry things from one location to another. For me, I would figure out the layout before worrying too much about specific cabinet styles.

• sergeantcuff
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oops, My post wasn't clear at all. I'm talking about the upper cabinets - 30" from the window trim to the wall. The sink is moving under the window, but I am satisfied with what is happening with the bottom cabinets, but unsure about the upper cabinets. The dishwasher will be to the right of the sink, so I'm losing a bottom corner there.

I think there will be wasted space in all corners. I'm OK with that, as I am getting the counterspace I need. The right side cabinet can only be 12" deep because of the window on the right. I can't figure out how to post the contractors drawings here, but it is similar to mine. Ignore fridge corner and radiator placement.

Thanks

• abbycat9990
    15 years ago

Glass doors, or open shelving on the uppers may help to keep it more open and less crowded looking. Or, at least I find the "walls of solid doors" approach to be oppressive...

You are gaining so much new counterspace between the sink and range. You are going to love that; I did.

A note on "full overlay" If the GC needs to use spacers between cabinets for any reason, you lose the effect of full overlay. Also, please be sure that the GC and you have the same understanding of the term "full overlay". I'm serious; look at these doors:

Spacers between the two pantries (to accommodate door swing) take away from the full overlay effect. Also, see distance between top drawers and drawers/doors below. This ain't full overlay in my opinion-LOL! I've got the shaker door/slab drawer set up. I think it works well.

Re cabinet color: If you're using white appliances, I vote for pale yellow cabinets.

• raehelen
    15 years ago

Maureen,

I got that you were asking about uppers! :>)

Perhaps, I wasn't clear. My corner upper takes up a 25" X 25" space, (like the bottom corner cupboards take up a 36" X 36" space). So, if you put a corner cupboard to the left of the sink, you will only have room for window trim, no open shelves.

As for the bottom corners, either LS or blind corner units can utilize the space fairly well.

Where are you going to have your window end? We brought up one of our kitchen windows too -made them both greenhouse windows, and I really regret not having them at counter height. Or, at least as low as abbycat's above.

• sergeantcuff
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Rae - Okay I get it now. So there is space for a corner cabinet. I was wondering why he hadn't put a corner cabinet in the plans. I am terrible at visualising spaces.

Do I want one there? Or should I just have a large cabinet on the left wall and decorative shelving on both sides of the sink? I want a big cabinet so I can put all my baking ingredients in one area.

I like symmetry. I think it will look a lot better if the sink is under the window, but it might look weird if there is only a cabinet on the right side of this wall?

Abbycat - Your cabinets are beautiful! I can see how the definition of "full overlay" can be fuzzy. I would love all that storage.

• caryscott
    15 years ago

I don't get the full overlay? In Issue No 4, 2008 of "Kitchens and Baths" on page 52 they have a remodel of a 1912 Arts & Crafts house using frameless cabinetry which has a terrific period feel. Yours isn't a big kitchen so you may want to get as much use out of the space you have as you can. I agree using glass or mullion doors and open shelves for the uppers will help keep that period feel. To me full overlay is just pretend frameless. If you like rails and stiles show them off, if not go frameless.

• sergeantcuff
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Caryscott - you just posted a picture of mjsmama kitchen. Maybe I could do my corners like that?! I don't think I want a giant corner cabinet, even if it did fit.

• caryscott
    15 years ago

Your right that would work well and doesn't have that heavy look and honestly with corner cabs (wall or base) it can be hard to get full use of the space anyway. Generally in Canada you call European cabinetry (no rails or stiles) frameless but I was looking in some American magazine and the were calling frameless: full overlay - I think of them as being different - oops. You can certainly get the look your after with frameless cabs - they love the inset here and while it is nice to me it isn't worth the upcharge and I don't think it's practical. Your kitchen has such character I hope you are able to retain that in your new one while still improving the practicality. I really wish you the best of luck, I have a strong feeling that it will turn out great.

• rmkitchen
    15 years ago

Others have already suggested it, but that won't stop me from piping in! From the first post of yours I read (where bayareafrancy shared those photos of her delicious kitchen) I envisioned open shelves in your kitchen. I'm a sucker for open shelves: I love love love them. No, I don't have them (I'm from earthquake country), but in my alternate life (wherever that is!) I have open shelves in my kitchen.

Did you see prettykitty's recent thread with photos of her kitchen? She has glass front cabinets and they also look great. If you click on her photos it'll take you to her online album where you can see more of her kitchen. You'll see how her glass front cabs hold utilitarian items, not just pretty decorative things, and how homey and natural it looks. I think that could also be wonderful in your kitchen.

I think full overlay is a smart way to go -- get the most bang for your buck! And I also think a slab drawer is a good idea: the simpler you keep it the truer it'll feel. Plus, you can have fun with whatever hardware you choose -- you won't have to worry about spacing.

I'm still rooting for unfinished cabinets which you either paint yourself or have painted (again a la bayareafancy and pirula): I just think it's a wonderfully warm, authentic look.

• rosie
    15 years ago

I can't picture what you're considering for the corners, but I just wanted to pipe up in agreement with frameless in a small kitchen, and with use of slab drawers, even the possibility of slab door fronts, at least on lowers, with slightly rounded edges--the kind a carpenter working in the driveway and garage might have put on them. Nicely few people are using them right now, even though as Rmkitchen says they're very true to this era.

• sergeantcuff
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you for your kind words Caryscott.

Prettykitty's kitchen is gorgeous. I am definitely considering some glass doors.

I was wondering what seemed "wrong" about the modern cabinets I've looked at. It's the lack of rounded edges!

My big problem is that I hate both painting and cleaning. My current cabinets used to be white but it was hard to keep them looking clean. I painted them yellow about 4 years ago and the paint is starting to look bad. (I'm not saying I did the best job though). The yellow was better, but it is hard to clean them without damaging the finish. I do not like the look of the "factory finish" paint. I know I can't have it both ways. We are very messy people.

• sayde
    15 years ago

One thing you might consider is bringing the cabinets on both sides of the sink all the way down to the counters -- may-be have drawers at the bottom below the cupboard doors. It looks like you are using the open space for storage anyway so why not enclose it. Glass in the cupboards might be pretty but if you know you are not a neat freak, may as well not give yourself an added chore.

One of the problems of bringing the cupboards down to the counters is that you give up depth on the counter. One possible solution is to fur out the lowers a few inches from a standard depth of about 24 to 28 or even 30. Your kitchen is on the small side and this would decrease your floorspace but if you get more work space and more storage space it might be worth the tradeoff.

• sergeantcuff
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sayde - I was just thinking about that idea as I was re-reading Prettykitty's post. I like how her cabinet comes down to the counter in the corner. I can't find it now but I've seen other cabinets sitting on the counter with a hatch-like door - I'm supposing they keep a mixer in there. That would be great unless my DH uses it for his rotting vegetables.

• raehelen
    15 years ago

Maureen,

If I'm reading your drawing correctly, you only have four feet from the window edge to the end of the counter on the left side of the sink. If you put in a corner upper cabinet and have it come all the way down to the counter, that will only leave you with 2 feet on the left for your working space.

I think a useful exercise for you now, will be to list ALL the baking ingredients/supplies/appliances/bowls/etc that you want to store there. I have created a small baking area in my kitchen using drawers- it is such a pleasure opening a nice big drawer and having everything right there! I have a LS in the corner to hold appliances. We were going to have cupboards down to the counter, but there was a mistake with our order, they didn't arrive, and after living with it for a year now, we think it was serindipity- as we love having the extra counter space. Appliance garages are not easy retro-fits, and you have to make sure that your appliance WILL fit in there- our toaster oven would not have.

I think a 3 drawer base, minimum 21 inches wide would be great for baking- then ask your kitchen guy if a LS would still fit in there (I don't think so). So you may need to look at a blind corner unit. A corner upper could hold mixing bowls, spices, etc. What I like about the corner upper, is that it brings those items closer to the front, so it's great for big items you can reach and pull out from the front, or items on a lazy susan that can be rotated to the front.

I don't think you have to have matching shelving on both sides of the sink, (you don't have it now), I like the charming quirkiness of it.

I would also avoid the temptation of bringing down the cupboards on the right. Once you add that extra counter space, you won't believe how much you will use that corner. You will be able to have two cooks working in there at once.