Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chrissyb2411

My big box countertop experience

chrissyb2411
10 years ago

So, I figured since we hear a lot about negative experience with big box stores I would share my good experience!

We initially were going with solid surfacing from lowes. After templeting there were lots of hidden charges and up charges that were not explained prior that almost doubled the cost! We cancelled that order. I priced out quartz at a local fabricator and Home Depot. Home Depot came in at about 75% less for the same exact LG quartz product, I was nervous but it was a big savings.

The guy came out to template, he was very quiet, but answered all my questions and spent about an hour and a half at the house doing his thing with all his fancy lasers and computers. Install was scheduled for a Friday. At 3:30 the afternoon before I got a call from the installer, they had finished their day early, would I like them to come tonight. Yes!!!

They said it would take a couple hours. They were friendly, came in, did the job very quickly (about an hour), explained everything, and in general were fantastic. We have one seam that is nearly invisible, and the tops fit into their spaces like a glove. The installers commented on what a fantastic template it must have been to fit so well. Quite a feet considering how uneven our walls are.

We talked to the installers for a bit. The company fabricates for 33 Home Depots throughout New England, they are located in northern Vermont and the fabrication shop is located in Canada. So, for anyone in NH, Ma, Vt I would highly reccomend Granite Design, and HD for counters. Here's a few pics

LG Viatera quartz in juniper trail

The curve of the island was done to match the curve of the bookcase, and it's perfect!

The seam, starts at my fingertip, jogs in then straight up

The fit against the range is fantastic!

Comments (11)

• ck_squared
    10 years ago

Looks great! Nice to hear a positive story! So that one seam is in the corner to the right of the range? Fantastic that they could do that long run without a seam at the sink.

• chrissyb2411
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes ck_squared, just the one seam before that corner. And the cabinets come just to the edge of the trim around the door. It's a fairly long uninterrupted run, and fit in right up to the edge of the trim like a glove.

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

Wow- glad it went well!
    Great seam for sure!!
    Congratulations

• gracefullyaged
    10 years ago

We also had a wonderful experience with HD granite here in KY. The fabricator and installer were out of Cincinnati. Couldn't be more pleased with the seam on our Antique Brown granite.

• rosie
    10 years ago

It all looks wonderful, Chrissyb. I imagine more than one person reading this in your region will be glad you shared your experience.

• MizLizzie
    10 years ago

Awesome story. Great seam and good job around the sink. I met a fabulous KD at my local Home Depot when I was looking to redo my laundry room. We decided instead to go big and do with kitchen with a lot of custom work. But I kept her card. She was sharp, and did a great design. We will probably hire her and Home Depot when the time comes.

• rosemarynj
    10 years ago

I love it! We are having Quartz installed too. It is Caesarstone. Is yours silestone? What brand sink is it? and do you like the dark color of sink? do you think it imore durable than stainless? I am trying to decide if I want stainless or ???
    Thanks for help

• westsider40
    10 years ago

It's beautiful as is your kitchen. A great story and so good and right of you to have posted your positive story. I love the colors of your cabs, your floor ( funny it's just like mine), your sink, everything. Good job. What kind of sink is that?

• chrissyb2411
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Rosemarynj, the sink is a swanstone sink, and I'm in love with it so far. I'm not a big fan if stainless sinks, and love the idea of black. And the huge size, plus the raised ledge is perfect for my needs. And the price was right. Our budget was a bit tight! The quartz is LG, silestone didn't have any colors that appealed to me.

Westsider, the floors are in desperate need of refinishing. They run wall to wall everywhere but the bathroom. From what we have heard the previous owner of the house was a flooring guy (it was a foreclosure). The flooring is the only thing in the house we didn't rip out lol.

Here is a link that might be useful: Swanstone sink.

• lilsophie
    10 years ago

I have caesarstone quartz in Carmel, we love it!!

• tanyalangdon
    3 years ago

I realize this thread is old, but do you happen to remember the brand and/or model name of your chandelier? I've been looking for a simple wagon wheel light fixture but everything I've seen is farmhouse-y or ye olde castle looking.