Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Advice needed on replacing cabinet doors & drawers

Posted by janewagner (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 1, 13 at 10:25

My painted cabinets need a fresh coat; we're well past kitchen renovation and cost & time associated. Would love to switch out cabinet doors to the inside Europ. hinges. Contractors coming over are quoting $150 per surface, counting each drawer and door. They're available online at about $80 w/ hinges. Should I presume they'd hang properly from my existing inside frames? Doesnt seem worth the risk. What lower cost options are there? Not interesting in 'resurfacing' wherein you cover frames w/ laminate. I have 40 doors & drawers.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Advice needed on replacing cabinet doors & drawers

Replacement of everything is a better (and cheaper) approach if you have to pay contractor labor to do it. At least it is if you're dealing with someone who knows what they are doing and now a low cost hack. Refacing is only a good option if you DIY.

o

" quoting $150 per surface"

Are you saying $150 per door and dwr front?
What style of doors and hinges are you replacing?
Who's doing the painting?

o

Yes, $150 per door and drawer front (+ $80 to replace drawer box) in raised frame style 5-pc (think that's the one we like)

o

Door styles are; Mediterranean (inside and flush with the
face frame)
Full or flush overlay (flush with the
outside of the face frame with internal or
external hinges)
3/8 overlay (external hinges where 3/8
of the door fits inside the cabinet door
opening)
What are the brand of the new hinges?
Does the new dwr boxes include new dwr guides and are they side mounted or just frame rollers?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here