Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
local_eater

Which Roomba model?

localeater
11 years ago

As part of our kitchen project I am considering getting a roomba. I have read on this forum that some of you have them. My first floor will be all hardwood and a little tile, with a couple of low pile area rugs. I have two dogs.

I need a model that will pick up dust and dog hair. Do you have one that you like or loathe in a similar situation?

If I decide to go with the roomba, I would like to include a place for its docking station in the toe kick of my island. Any thoughts on that idea?

Comments (10)

• scrappy25
    11 years ago

I would highly recommend buying whatever Hammacher Schlemmer is selling because of their lifetime warranty- I am on my 3rd roomba in 6 years- It's completely hasslefree and they replace the roomba if they verify the issue. Count the extra expense as the extended warranty.

• remodelfla
    11 years ago

I have whatever one Costco was selling at the time I bought it. Aside from having to clean out the collection bin when running (3 small dogs here); DH just uses the blower thing on his compressor to blow out the interior. We've had ours over a year and no problems. Costco is famous for taking stuff back without question

• secondhalf
    11 years ago

Localeater- thank you for posting this. I was just researching the 770 last night. Lots of good review information on Amazon.

• schmaltzy
    11 years ago

I'll second everything old bat said. With 4 dogs and 3 cats, our Roomba "Alice" is a lifesaver. Bought the one Costco sells and exchanged 2 of them before one lasted over a year. I'm sure Costco would have exchanged that one too, but I got 18 months out of the part that broke so I just bought the part myself. My only complaint with the unit is that the part that holds the brushes is made of plastic and the plastic loses its shape over time. Still, I love my Roomba!

• localeater
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow. Thanks for all the great feedback. It definitely sounds like Roomba is the way to go.

• kim31kim
    11 years ago

which one did you end up getting? I'm trying to decide if the 770 is worth the extra cost? I'm not seeing it less than 499.

• localeater
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I haven't been able to justify the cost to myself yet. Sorry. I may ask for it as a gift!

• kim31kim
    11 years ago

$500 seems like a lot, certainly! We just got new hardwood floors and I really want to get one. Was hoping I could get by with an older cheaper model.

• motherof3sons
    11 years ago

My friend brought over her Neato and I loved it. That thing did a beautiful job. The only complaint is the wool rugs are still shedding and it filled up the dirt trap in no time. It had no problem going from short pile to hardwood to a deeper pile carpet.

Like localeater, I am trying to justify the cost. I don't mind vacuuming, it is more a time issue for me. DH does help with the house, but it would be nice to come home every evening and know the floors will be swept. DH also tells me to get someone to help with the house cleaning. Maybe that is my justification! Rather than someone to help clean, I will get a robotic sweeper! It certainly would be less expensive in the long run.