Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cefreeman_gw

Over the fridge

CEFreeman
12 years ago

Hi all!

I am trying to figure out what to do over my frige.

I can put two cabinets up there to = 30", or I could put a plain, 30" tall cabinet up there and call it a day.

Would that look stupid?

I'm not used to seeing the regular height cabs on top of fridges, yet two, not so useful cabs doesn't make sense to me.

Thanks,

Christine

Comments (4)

• dianalo
    12 years ago

My cabs over the fridge and freezer hold a bunch of things that would otherwise have to fit in elsewhere. I am not a big fan of upper cabs if one can avoid them, but the space over the fridge is wasted unless you put something up there.

• Buehl
    12 years ago

Like this?

How high are your ceilings? How tall is the refrigerator alcove?

Are your ceilings tall enough that a full 30" tall cabinet will fit? How are the other upper cabinets configured in the rest of the kitchen?

Storage-wise, a single cabinet w/shelves will have more space than having two separate cabinets. However, it depends on what you plan to store there...

First, though, be sure your refrigerator alcove is 72" high. Even if your current refrigerator is not that tall, most new ones are 70" to 72" tall...and I don't think they will be getting shorter b/c, instead, they've gotten shallower ("counter-depth"). If it's not 72" tall, then I suggest making it that tall and either install a filler piece to fill the gap for now (like I did in the pic above) or put in a piano-hinge on the filler (that flips up) and allows you to put some short items on top of the refrigerator but hidden when the "filler door" is closed...like flat baskets or platters. Always remembering, of course, to leave some space for air circulation.

• CEFreeman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh, geeze.

Right now I have an 18" cab in which I keep trays, since I barely cook & it's stupid of me to waste space. Instead, I keep them in wasted space.

Let it suffice to say a 30" would fit or I wouldn't be considering it.

All the other cabinets that reach the ceiling I've built as a 30" topped by 12" cabs. This would be the only one that's 30" all the way to the ceiling. It's not a focal point in the kitchen, in that it's on a side wall.

I do like the filler piece idea. My fridge must be around 66", given the fact a 30" cab makes it to the ceiling. It doesn't sound like I'd have the space. I've also only used 12" deep cabs, vs. a 24" deep fridge cabinet because I can't see or reach that far in anyway.

Oh. And as far as those cabs way up there? I don't put anything in them anyway. I can't see them, reach them, nor do I think about whatever I might have put there in the first place. So they're purely decorative at the moment.

I apprecaite the responses.
    Christine

• Circus Peanut
    12 years ago

How about a simple shelf? I keep my colander and some halfway decent-looking odds and ends up there (fondue pots, etc). This is a nice solution if your dimensions are not standard, too, and only require some dimensional lumber finished like your other cabinets.

I can only find an old photo from halfway through the remodel, but you get the idea: