Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Small depression in granite counter - how to fix it myself?

Posted by tajraz (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 9, 13 at 10:20

Hi there -

Apologies if I'm posting this in the incorrect place, it was suggested to me to post this question here.

Last weekend, I noticed two small depressions/dents in my granite countertops (1.5 years old), when I was re-sealing them. They're quite small now, but I'd like to get a hold of it now, before they expand. Is there an easy, long-term solution to fixing them myself? Both depressions are in "high-traffic" areas, close to the sink.

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Small depression in granite counter - how to fix it myself?

One more picture of the other dent.

o

The easiest thing to do is fill the chips with crazy glue.

1. clean the area to be repaired with acetone. you will reseal the affected area when you are done.

2. put masking tape around the area to be filled right up to the edge of the depression.

3. fill the depression with crazy glue. the more you overfill it the more glue you will have to scrape away later.

4. after the glue sets take a new razor blade and, with the blade perpendicular to the stone, scrape away the excess until the repaired area is flush to the top of the stone. if u use the blade at an angle you will probably just pop the glue out of the depression.

5. polish the glued area with 000 steel wool.

6. reseal.

if the glue pops out then repeat the process after making the depressions a little deeper with a sharp instrument. shallow depressions are one of the hardest chips to patch.

o

Wow, crazy glue. I would have never thought. I have a few of those spots in my white diamond. My installer said for $100 they will come out and fix any and all spots. Maybe I should just get some crazy glue.

o

we use crazy glue for very small chips that the colored expoxy fillers won't adhere to anyway. For larger chips an epoxy repair is the way to go. It's not difficult and almost any epoxy will work because of the porosity of the stone. The real trick is getting a decent color match so the only giveaway that it's patched is the lower gloss on the repaired area.

o

Is it really necessary to repair such little indentations? I have a few of those, but didn't think they were a problem.

o

They chips actually don't bother me but sometimes it bugs my DH and I know he would love to fix them. I will keep this tip to myself for now : )

o

There are inexpensive light cure kits available online. They are not subject to the UV light rays that plague cyanoacralates, but work best on deeper gouges.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here