Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My Honed Calacatta Gold Slab Has Arrived!

Posted by KevinMP (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 16, 12 at 10:18

I know some of you have been waiting for updates on my mini remodel, but I hit a big snag last week when I realized that I could not find any black absolute granite that was as black as mine is anywhere. I went to my local granite/marble yard and found a perfectly matching (but flawed) slab of calacatta gold leftover from a kitchen and was able (because of the flaw) to get it for the same price ($80 per square foot installed, plus $95 to hone): a steal. And it matches the tile I had already begun to have installed for the new backsplash. What do you all think?

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

The minor flaw (the brownish gray spots with slight indentation):

Photobucket

With a flash:

Photobucket

To match the backsplash:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Now, I just have to get my contractor to finish. It should be all completed by Friday night.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My Honed Calacatta Gold Slab Has Arrived!

I think your stone is beautiful. Can you tell me about the drawer pulls? Is that oil-rubbed bronze? Where did you get them? I've been looking at lots of drawer pulls and haven't seen those, but I like them.

o

That's an amazing match and beautiful! I love it!

o

Perfect! The imperfections as you call them will just add character. The "bargain" price makes it a sweet find!

o

Gorgeous! The remnant slab is perfect with the absolute black and the backsplash. What backsplash will you use above it?

o

It was meant to be. Looks very good indeed.

o

What a perfect find! It's gorgeous and what a match!

o

I think I'm drooling a little bit. I LOVE Calcutta marble and that is amazing. The fact that you got it for such a steal is even more amazing. Well done.

o

I think it's really much better than AB would have been. Keeps that space light and bright and gives it its own identity.

o

Ah. That took my breathe away. Really beautiful. What a space!

o

Pricklypear, the backsplash will be the same 4"x4' honed calacatta gold tiles I'm having installed above the black absolute granite and the stove.

h-w-m, the pulls I think I've finally settled on are oil rubbed bronze pulls from the Restoration Hardware Outlet (they're Asbury 3" pulls). I wanted something that went with the stove's black knobs and would somewhat tie in the black absolute with the calacatta marble top on the wall unit.

Thanks to everyone else. It's crazy what you can find when you look hard for it.

o

Love it! I am always one for a bargain - but what a beauty!!!
Wow - you will be finished soon- I hope for good weather for picture taking - I couldn't take pictures last weekend as it was as dreary as it could be...

o

Nice second choice! Definitely doesn't look like a second choice. It's lovely.

o

I think you hit the jackpot. It's absolutely beautiful.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here