Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fouramblues

stovetop grate cleaning?

fouramblues
11 years ago

I'm not the best housekeeper in the world, so the fact that I'm even asking these questions might shock some of you, but...

Do you clean the grates on your stovetop? If 'yes', then why and how? I don't unless there's a blob of something on them, which I just wipe off. They don't look pretty, but the grease mostly burns off so they're not sticky. Am I being terribly remiss?

Comments (14)

• drewem
    11 years ago

I just use a damp paper towel and wipe them down. Not much, I know, but it seems to work ok for me. I lift them off the stove, and clean them when I clean the top of the stove. It's a 2 piece grate, so not too much trouble.

• fouramblues
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, drewem, that makes me feel better. I see all these beautiful kitchens and everything is spotless. My grates started out that way, too, but aren't anymore.

• Donaleen Kohn
    11 years ago

Maybe they don't cook in those kitchens...

• Circus Peanut
    11 years ago

Every so often I chuck mine in the dishwasher and that seems to keep them fairly decent. But they're grates, and they get heavily used when you cook -- and I look with suspicion upon kitchens with sparkling clean grates (any kitchen without a mother-in-law visiting, that is). ;-)

• dilly_ny
    11 years ago

My DH seems to recall the appliance salesman said we should spray them with Pam. I haven't, but any thoughts on this? Good idea? Flammable? Or do you think it's a brand specific tip?

• shedthechrysalis
    11 years ago

Mine are heavy - they feel like cast iron. There are 2 of them that span the top of the range. I wash them every few days because of splatter, etc. I just take them off and wash them in the sink with dish soap. I let them drip dry.

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Four - I used to toss mine into the DW - now I have induction, so obviously can't use DW.
    Miss seeing your posts!

• fouramblues
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for all the good suggestions! If I every feel really inspired I might try the dishwasher. Probably won't happen, though. The grates don't bother me much (already look like they've been Pam-ed!), but I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing something. (Like a fire hazard.)

a2, I've pretty much gone back to lurker status, but I'm here! I'm fixing to make my Roman shades, so will post those in a couple of weeks. And the perfect backsplash for me is out there somewhere. You all will be the first to hear about it when I find it!

Ann Arbor can't STILL be cloudy, so where are those pics you promised us?! :)

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Soon. Had a slight avalanche with one of the drawers so need to get it fixed first But it was cloudy on Saturday and family all weekend. GC son coming at crack of dawn. Mostly I was bummed out and sorry to hijack!

• fouramblues
    Original Author
    11 years ago

a2, I guess I hijacked my own post, oops! Sorry to hear your drawer suffered a casualty. (What is it with you and avalanches? ;)

• drbeanie2000
    11 years ago

The cast iron (I'm guessing) grates on our rental kitchen would seriously rust if not every tiny bit of moisture was dried, RIGHT AWAY. I'd be terrified of putting those in the dishwasher and I'd be amazed if the DW would help that much on the cooked-on globs of tomato sauce, etc.

Our new range top has even bigger, even heavier grates, and I just try to get at them sooner for globs of food. Everything else I consider to be like seasoning on a cast iron pan!

• rhome410
    11 years ago

Our Wolf rangetop grates are cast iron, so I am happy to let them season, and only scrub off lumps of things, letting the grease stay, as much as possible. The dw or any soap would start the process all over again, so I don't do that.

• itsallaboutthefood
    11 years ago

I have a Wolf range too...I just wipe off the grates like Rhome. I thought I was being lazy but I'm glad to know that I'm "seasoning" them! I too sometimes feel remiss when I look at some of the pictures of kitchens on this forums with their sparkling everything...but I'd rather cook than clean so at least we're happy!

• Anita Lee-Yu
    2 years ago

how to season the grates...plz explains????