Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
a1an

Subway Tile - What grout size and did you go Epoxy ?

a1an
16 years ago

Hi All -

Just curious. What grout size did you go with your Subway Tile. My tiles are 2 3/4" x 6. Leaning on a 3/16" grout joint.

Also...did you guys go the epoxy route or just sanded/unsanded and sealed.

Comments (30)

• vjrnts
    16 years ago

My tiler butted my subways right up against each other. They are flat-topped, not pillowed, so there is very little grout there.

We just grouted and sealed.

• amsunshine
    16 years ago

Mine are 1/16. I did the Lowe's American Olean subway tile special -- the non-genuine pillowed kind. We used unsanded epoxy grout in a warm grey color.

• natal
    16 years ago

1/16 inch, unsanded, platinum grout ... don't plan on sealing

• a1an
    Original Author
    16 years ago

What exactly is a pillowed or non-pillowed tile.

The tiles I have have a crackled glazed finish to it.
    The backs of the tile are relatively uniform.
    The tops are as well. The sides of each them are not 100% sqaure and true though. Each one sort of has it's own *bump-extra glaze* to it and that is why I would think that 1/16" would not be enough to allow for a consistent grout line. Maybe 1/8"

I need to take some out of the box, lay them tight and see how they all stack up up....but yes, my tiler seems to prefer 3/16". When I think of subway tile, I think of nice tight joints as well. However, the finish of my tile may not allow the 1/16".

• sue36
    16 years ago

Mine were done 1/16, unsanded. The tiles I used are self-spacing - if you butt them tight it leaves a 1/16 gap. I didn't use an epoxy grout. I don't even know if it could be used in a grout space that small.

The only place we used epoxy grout was in the mudroom and one full bathroom. The installer HATED it. Those spaces were 1/4".

• vjrnts
    16 years ago

Re: "Pillow-top" tiles. Most modern tiles are like this. Put one down on its back and look at it from the edge. The center of the tile is the thickest part and the surface slopes down at the edges all the way around. It's like a pillow that is puffy at the center, and thinner at the edges.

Traditional subway tile is like a very thin brick; it's an even thickness all the way across, with square corners at the edges.

• soigne
    16 years ago

Tile: Subway Ceramics, 3"x6", White #10
    Grout: Tec, unsanded, Dove Grey

1/16" grout lines.

• north40mom
    16 years ago

Soigne, is there any way you could post a picture of your subway? This is quite similar to what I'm thinking of doing and would love an idea of the finished product. THANKS.

• a1an
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Took put some tiles and laid them out.
    I did not have 1/16" spaces but I did have 1/8" spacers and if I could get away with 1/16"...great. However, as the pics show, the edges are not uniform at all. It's the *glaze* on the tile that creates these uneveness. On some tiles, I can rock them back and forth as some of the glaze is also on the *backside edge* creating the unlevelness.

{{!gwi}}

• vjrnts
    16 years ago

When I got my Subway Ceramics (non-crackled) sample tile, the first thing my GC did was to lay it down to see if it would rock. He was very pleased when it didn't. He said that it's impossible to have a smooth, flat wall if the tile won't lay flat.

Of course, it turned out that my wall itself is uneven enough that the tiles aren't completely even anyway, but I chalk it up to the charms of an old house.

• a1an
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Tile Setter advised that 1/16" would not be doabledue to the edges.
    Took some 1/8" spacers...

How does the joint size look

Took some more pics

{{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

• bayareafrancy
    16 years ago

How do YOU like the look? I think it will have a "rustic" look to it. Is that what you are going for? Or do you want a sleeker, smoother look? Or "vintage style"? If any of the latter, you probably need a squarer tile.

Here is my tile from my old house. It had wavy edges, like yours, and I think the grout lines were either 1/8 or 1/4. Note: this isn't a particularly good tile job, and the grout color is super white. But hopefully this will give you an idea of the look. I think it is sort of rustic (aside from the fact that it is bright white). (Note: this wasn't the look I wanted. So I was very unhappy with it.)

In contrast, here is a link to a picture of the "authentic" subway tile in jgarner's kitchen (grout lines about 1/16"). If this is the look you prefer, then you need a different tile.

Again, it comes down to what you like. Hopefully these pictures can help you clarify your vision.

Francy

Here is a link that might be useful: Vintage style subways

• soigne
    16 years ago

Chefwong, I think it will look great.

North40mom, I didn't want to post any shots of my kitchen until it is complete, but you asked so nicely...here is my backsplash:

• glad
    16 years ago

chefwong, that is a very pretty tile; i personally prefer narrow grout lines, but agree it will look good either way.

may i ask, for those of you who used "plain" vs crackel tile with white cabinets, how did you decide between glossy and matte tile?

• soigne
    16 years ago

We went with glossy for two reasons. First,I grew up in NYC and took the subway to high school. I wanted to be as true to the real deal as possible. Second, we wanted an institutional look to the kitchen, so we chose white cabs, matching white glossy subway tile, stainless perimeter tops, butcher block islandtop, schoolhouse pendant light, etc. We are going to hang some stainless shelves (or maybe a rail system) above the sink.

• glad
    16 years ago

thank you, soigne. my instinct was that matte would be a better idea with white -- maybe less glare -- but from what i can tell in the pics i've seen, many more people have chosen glossy.
    your kitchen looksreat!

• evan_nj
    16 years ago

We used Meredith Art Tile mesh-mounted mini-subways. They were configured for 1/8" grout. We used spectralock silver shadow. I love the epoxy grout. We did the tile work ourselves; it was great fun but took two entire days.

Here is a link that might be useful: 2007 Kitchen Remodel

• igloochic
    16 years ago

chefwong, I have hand made subway tiles in a crackle glaze as well, and while they tend to "look" about the same size, there is some variation due to the fact that they're hand made. Pretty much the same problem as you. I've had three tile installers all tell me the same thing. A 1/16th grout line will result in a VERY BAD finished product because if you get variation from tile to tile...by the time you're at the end of the line, you can have a difference of quite a bit. What you end up with is a line that looks bad, and becomes the dominent feature of the tile pattern because it's not even.

I am going with a 1/8th epoxy grout line for my subway crackle tiles for just that reason. I want to give the installer a little fudge room to work with so that the line flows straight across the wall. To do otherwise would probably result in a bad backsplash and given what I paid for the rediculous tile (almost $70 bucks a sq ft) I'd be VERY UPSET to have to have it removed and done over.

You do know to seal the tile before install right???? Very important with crackle tile!

• sekhmet45
    16 years ago

I'd go with the epoxy grout. I just used the Laticrete epoxy grout from Lowe's on my bathroom and shower floor and it is fantastic. I reduced the "sand" part of the epoxy slightly because I have 1/16" joints and it applies like unsanded regular grout. I did the application myself and it was tremendously easy. I've done 6 other bathrooms in my life and I always hated grouting the most, but this new epoxy grout is just fantastic. Plus, there is no need to seal it. No stains.

Also, I have subways as my backsplash in my kitchen and I prefer the 1/16th" joints. But, I think 1/8th would work well with your crackled finished tiles. Your tiles have a softer look that can handle a slightly wider joint.

• north40mom
    16 years ago

Soigne-- Thanks so much for the pics! They are very helpful. And your kitchen is beautiful!

• splinky
    16 years ago

Soigne,
    Your kitchen is gorgeous. That is exactly the type of subway tile that I am looking for. I'm a NYC girland that's what I thik of when I think subway tile. Would you mind sharing the brand and cost per sq ft? Also which grout did you use? I just bought a 1925 home and would like to restore the kitchen which had only a small amount of similar flat subways intact. Thanks so much.

• pasigal
    16 years ago

We also butted the tiles right up against each other; can barely see the grout, which is light gray. I hate white grout as it shows every last bit of lint, scum, dirt etc.

• debo_2006
    16 years ago

DH just bought home the 1/8" spaces so I layed out a few with our 3x6 subway tiles. The space is too wide for my liking, so we'll be using 1/16". I prefer less of a grout line evidently.

• a1an
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Picked up the closest 2 colors I thought would be close that matched on the color wheel I had - Latricrete Grout. Both looked a shade lighter on the color wheel than the physical grout I just tested....

Not a fan of the 1/8"th joint at all. When the tile setter comes on Saturday, and he sees the tiles in person, will ask him again if he can try 1/16th. I was shooting for a off white-very light almonish type of grout color.

Sautern
    {{!gwi}}

Silk
    {{!gwi}}

• soigne
    16 years ago

Chef: I like the darker one in the bottom picture.

Splinky: Our tile was made by Subway Ceramics. They do not sell directly to the public, but they will sell directly to a decorator. Our decorator handled the order, but did not add a surcharge. We paid just over $15/sf. They will also send a decorator a set of tile samples to match color. I believe that we matched the best of 4 different whites, which was a perfect match. They also sell through a small number of retailers. Below is a link to a blog by a DIY'er who tiled a bathroom with SC tiles. I learned a lot from it! (Even my tile-setter, who was very good, had never thought of shuffling the tiles among the boxes.) As I said in an earlier post in this topic, my grout was Tec, and the color was Dove Gray.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Petch House Blog

• splinky
    16 years ago

soigne,
    thanks so much! i will check out subway ceramics.

• a1an
    Original Author
    16 years ago

It took 4 colors to find the right one but it's done.
    Installed with 1/16" lines.
    Due to hand made tile and uneven edges, the finished joints vary from 1/16" to 3/32".

{{!gwi}}

• bayareafrancy
    16 years ago

Soigne--I wonder if Subway Ceramics has changed their policy since you got your tiles? I called them, I think, around August. Maybe September. There wasn't any problem with selling directly to me. The price was 14.95 sq ft. They send me an email invoice, but I haven't actually ordered yet. Unfortunately, I think I need to go with Restoration Tile (more expensive--rats! About $20 sq ft) b/c I need a recessed soap dish. Subway Ceramics doesn't make those, but Restoration Tile makes everything.

Francy

• marthavila
    16 years ago

Chefwong,
    I think your tiles look great! I'm in NYC too. Were you happy with the tile setter? Mind sharing the information on who did the work?

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional