Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meddam_gw

Finally picked a backsplash!

meddam
9 years ago

Feels like it took forever, but I finally chose a 2x8 tile from Sonoma in platinum crackle. What a relief. And they just happened to be 10% off! I think I'm at the point where I just want to be DONE!

Here is a pic of the kitchen before the perimeter counters went in (crossing my fingers that the iPad doesn't post it rotated). The walls are less brown in real life. I repainted in a similar color that is more gray/stone colored.

Now I just need to wait 4-6 weeks for these tiles to come in...

Comments (10)

• brightm
    9 years ago

I remember your gorgeous island top. Can't wait to see it with backsplash.

Now that my kitchen is just waiting for the last few things, my attention has turned to MIL's kitchen that she's planning to start on after the first of the year. Her size and layout she's talking about looks similar to yours.

I think I see and recall you've got corner drawers, then to the right it looks like a sink base, DW space, and two base cabinets. Could I by any chance get the measurements from the end of that last cabinet to the range wall and the width of the room? Her fridge, range, sink locations are about what you've got and she currently has a peninsula coming out from those last couple cabinets. She's talking about ditching the peninsula but not adding an island. It seems like it'll be sort of empty. But maybe it's a lot less wide than yours. I'd love to know yours for perspective. And I look forward to your reveal!

• aries61
    9 years ago

Very nice kitchen. A few questions if you don't mind answering. 1) how deep are your fridge panels? 2) What brand and color of cabinets? 3) What is your range hood made of? Thanks

• meddam
    Original Author
    9 years ago

cal_quail - You're right, I have the corner drawer, then next to that is a spice rack pull out, then the sink, then trash and then drawers (I'll attach a pic - ignore the mess). The run on that wall with the sink is about 145 inches. The kitchen is about 14 feet wide. If her kitchen is as wide, I can't imagine not having an island. My island counter top is 36"x62" if that helps. Shifting the fridge down so that it wasn't across from the island made all the difference. Now it doesn't feel cramped to sit at the island when someone is going in the fridge.

aries61 - the fridge is normal depth and the panels are 28". They did a recessed detail on the one side - I'll post a pic in another post since I'm incapable of posting 2 pics at once. LOL. The cabinets are custom from Stonecreek Custom Kitchens in Ephrata, PA. They do PA, NJ, DE, MD and VA I think. The color is called Snow, but I'm not sure if that is a Benjamin Moore Color or just their color. they gave me a little touch up bottle of paint, but it doesn't have any additional info on it. The hood is stainless steel from Broan. It is the 3060SS. Works well and was less expensive than the Vent-a-hood.

• meddam
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And here are the panels of the fridge. And my dog...

• brightm
    9 years ago

Thanks! She's coming over in a bit. I asked her to measure from her sink wall to fridge wall and range wall to slider. :)

And thanks for the extra pic. I know she'll love seeing the details. She did the kitchen in her old house about 5 years ago and only re-faced. It's a new world for her looking at new cabinets. But she knows what she wants to repeat and what she wants to tweak.

This post was edited by cal_quail on Sat, Oct 18, 14 at 12:39

• aries61
    9 years ago

Thanks for the information. In the first picture you posted the hood didn't look like stainless, but in the second picture it does.

btw: cute dog.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I really like the 2 x 8" tiles. I just saved a Houzz photo today with them. The Sonoma tiles are very nice too.

• tinker1121
    9 years ago

Very nice floor, something different other than hardwood with white cabinets. Is it vinyl tile or ceramic and color please?

Can't wait to see it finished with your backsplash.

• Hydragea
    9 years ago

nice! Really like the paint colour! (And of course, the white inset cabs are not too shabby ;-) ;-))

• meddam
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tinker1121- it is luxury vinyl tile by Armstrong called Alterna in beige/taupe. It can look a little pink if not paired with the right colors (I had to repaint my red powder room because of it). I would have loved wood, but it would have stressed me out. This floor survived a pipe that I broke shortly after installation. Not sure wood would've done the same!

It is warmer & less tappy than tile & softish under foot (tho not as soft as sheet vinyl). I love it! Hope that helps!

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner