Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amysnyc

help me find chicken wire glass panels!

amysnyc
16 years ago

So, since the beginning of my kitchen renovation in March I have wanted to put glass panels with chickenwire (the hex shape) in my kitchen cabinets. I priced this out in the beginning and went to order them last week and the glass shop says no one is making it anymore -- my only option is a diamond shaped wire in glass. I'm sure they have lots of resources, but has anyone here seen or bought it recently? I really love this. Thanks!

Comments (15)

• imrainey
    16 years ago

Where are you? I believe I saw some at an artglass store in Woodland Hills, CA. If that's practical for you, I could drive by and get the name and address for you.

• allison0704
    16 years ago

Thank you, Cleo. :)

I just have chicken wire but it was installed after it arrived to the warehouse. I went over the chicken wire with the glaze leftover from the cabinets (to take away the shine and color).

The photo below is a close up of the coffee station - located between kitchen and laundry room in the hallway. It has two of these lift-up doors with chicken wire.

You can see more/newer pictures of my kitchen in Kitchens We Love (scroll down to the middle of the page). You can click on the pictures to enlarge.

Here is a link that might be useful: KWL

• ccoombs1
    16 years ago

Why not put an ad on Craig's list in your area? there is probably lots of that old safety glass sitting around in warehouses and salvage yards.

• napagirl
    16 years ago

I wonder how a piece of good quality acrylic would like if it were placed behind the chicken wire?

You could add a small moulding at the bottom of the door and 4" up the sides for the 'glass' to sit on and use a clip (like a photo frame has) to keep the top in place. Its lightweight, easy to handle, and inexpensive.

If you use a small hole chicken wire it probably wouldn't need cleaning that often ... and if it got scratched too badly it could be replaced. I think that might work ...

• amysnyc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks everyone! I'm actually in nyc but thanks anyways for the offer imrainey. Alison, that's exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for... oh well, the hunt continues!

• napagirl
    16 years ago

Allison ... I just want to say...I LOVE YOUR KITCHEN !!

The way you used different colors for the gray island, cream refrig and black pantry, with the stained pine range cabs and coffee bar ... the copper hood & backsplash ... the medallion over the range ... the beadboard on refrig sides ... & especially the beam ceiling - they're all fantastic. Would love to see more pics. BTW, how high are your ceilings?

Sharon
    Napa, CA

• allison0704
    16 years ago

Thanks, Sharon. KWL pretty much shows it all but the walk-in pantry. (just linked it on a new pantry thread) I have house pictures scattered here and there but I try not to post "decent" pictures since they've turn up elsewhere on the internet in the past.

The ceiling in the kitchen is 9ft. The great room peaks at about 26ft (or 28ft, I've gone blank) and the MBR peaks at 22ft. Our lower level has ceilings just over 10.5ft and it really makes a difference in the feel down there - more like a home, not a basement.

• michelle_zone4
    16 years ago

In my hutch cabinet, had shiny gold diamond shaped mesh sandwiched between 2 pieces of glass. Since it was hard to see what was displayed and dated the cabinet, I removed it.

• hollygolightly
    16 years ago

{{!gwi}}

My cabinet maker placed the wire between the glass (for ease of cleaning).

• rmkitchen
    16 years ago

I don't know if this site will be at all helpful: it's brass chicken wire (not in glass) which you can tuck in between glass. ???

• rmkitchen
    16 years ago

• never-give-up
    16 years ago

amysnyc, Did you ever find the chicken wire in glass? I have been trying to find it as well and haven't had any luck. I would like to have the the aluminum colored wire.

• figgleywiggley
    15 years ago

They sell chicken wire glass (antique salvaged glass) at Olde Good Things - www.oldegoodthings.com

• mixed
    14 years ago

We have a lot of old windows with chicken wire glass. We have been selling the entire windows but could possibly remove some panes and sell just them. What size panes are you looking for?

~mixed in Baltimore

{{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}