Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
height of Hood fan above stove

Posted by italjohn (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 31, 08 at 10:02

I recently did my kitchen and above the range we intalled a vent-a-hood. My concern is it is installed per the directions at 24inches above. I am not a tall person at 5'8" but this hood comes down to about 5'3" I think that is way too low the contractor and my better half disagree? Anybody have any thoughts. The appliance company said it can go as high as 34inches above the stove. Please help. Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: height of Hood fan above stove

We went through the same thing with Broan. They told us that for our particular vent, anything over 30 inches would not get rid of the smoke and fumes. Our hood is about 29 inches over the range. The vent system should be installed sometime this afternoon. I am 5'8 as well and it dosen't seem to be a problem unless you were going to stick your head inside the hood.

o

I have not seen any directions that prompt you to mount a hood at less than 30 inches from the stove. My Independent hood actually states not to put it below 30". Usually, the optimal height is 30"-36". You might want to call Vent-a-hood to verify their mounting instructions. 24" sounds very very low

BTW, you might want to ask this question on the appliances forum.

o

Which Vent-A-Hood model do you have? Depth? (Need that info to determine if 24" is too little or "just right")

Gas or electric range?

o

You are correct that it can be at the height you want, and it is also true that it is less effective farther away from the cooking surface.

david

o

Our Vent-A-Hood is mounted 29-3/4" off the surface of our electric cooktop. I'm 5'10" and my DH is 6'5". I'm a couple of inches taller than you (and DH is quite a bit taller than both of us!) and we both think the height of our hood is fine for us. I could actually rest my head on the hood, if I wanted to.

The height issue is one of the reasons I opted for the "emerald lip"....in case I bumped my head I didn't want a sharp edge. But, it hasn't been an issue...I've never bumped my head.

I think that even if it was 3 or 4 inches lower it would still be fine (accounting for our height differences).

Did you have a range hood in your "old" kitchen? If so, do you remember how high it was off the surface of your range/cooktop?

[Our hood is the SEPH18-242 Euroline Pro with Emerald Lip and is 24" deep. Its recommended installation height is up to 30" off the cooktop surface. If you have an xxxx14 model, its recommended installation height is no more than 24" above the cooking surface.]

HTH!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here