Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purrus

What do you guys think of these jars for spice storage?

purrus
9 years ago

I'm trying to figure out how I will handle the ominous problem of spice storage in my kitchen, which is T minus two weeks from completion. (YAY!!!)

I found these jars online, which hold 3.75 oz. The are 3.15 inches high. My drawer is about 3.5 inches high from the inside.

Do these seem like a good option? I'm not positive which drawer they will go in yet (depends on how many I can fit where)... I have a lot of spices. A LOT.

Or do you guys have other ideas, hopefully with cheaper shipping? (The shipping from this place is $25!!)

Here is a link that might be useful: victorian spice jar

Comments (14)

• Debbi Branka
    9 years ago

I used to try for cute/pretty jars because my spice rack hangs on my kitchen wall and is very visible (purposely). About a year ago, I switched over to Ball/Mason jars. I use the pint jars mostly because I buy spices at Penzey's in larger quantities. But you can use the 8 oz or 4 oz jelly jars just as easily. They're pretty and readily available. Also, since it's the end of canning season, you may find them on sale.

• maggieq
    9 years ago

I keep my spices in their original bottles in a drawer deep enough for them to stand up. Use label maker to label top of lid. Cheap and easy.

• lascatx
    9 years ago

That's actually a good size for most spices. I think mine are similar, and there are only a few I have to fill regularly (but still not that often). I do have a few larger containers -- for example, my varietal ground chilies are in the smaller jars in the drawer. My blended chili seasoning that I use by multiple tablespoons is in a larger container in the pantry pullout right behind me. You might want a spot like that or in the cabinet above your drawer for larger things and tall bottles like your oils and vinegars.

I like the straight sides of the jars -- they will fit together nicely in the drawer, but the round top will let you get your fingers in to grab them and lift them out. I notice they are a little narrower than the straight round jars that I use. You will not be able to get a tablespoon or possibly some teaspoon measuring spoons in that top. The wider top straight jar one is probably easier to scoop out of, but less decorative (it will be sitting in a drawer most of the time). It might be worth paying postage to order a few and test your measuring spoons (fill one with sugar and see how easily you can measure it, scoop in, tap out, etc. The put them next to each other and make sure you can lift them out when they are side by side. If you like the way they work, order more.

• juno_barks
    9 years ago

I also have A LOT of spices, and have always used a variety of different jar sizes - small jars for things like ground cloves and big jars for things like cumin seed or star anise. I'm also starting to move into my new kitchen, and will probably have to divide my spices into two areas based on use. I've always kept an alphabetized list, with the jar described, its location, and the purchase date. Previously this list was posted on a cabinet door, but having done away with cabinet doors (I'm an all-drawer kitchen now), I'm also trying to figure it out. Good luck and post what you decide to do!

• Gracie
    9 years ago

Simply Organic spices come in pretty square-sided bottles about that size. I store them on their sides in a drawer and refill from bulk. Check their website to see if a store near you sells them.

• friedajune
    9 years ago

I have to link this thread. Though it makes me feel so inadequate about my spice storage. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: The Best Spice Storage Thread Ever

• purrus
    Original Author
    9 years ago

akchicago, believe me, I've seen that thread! Lascatx is a spice storage celebrity in my view!

Here's the deal. I'm not totally sure which drawer I will use for spices, but all of my top drawers are pretty short--like 3.25 interior height max. Normal spice jars will not work. I've wanted square jars to avoid wasted space.

Also, like juno_barks, I will likely divide my spice storage between a drawer and an upper. I have only three-drawer stacks in my kitchen (my particular RTA cabinet company doesn't have any four-drawer stacks, unfortunately) so it's either use one of my topmost drawers or a deep drawer. If I use a deep drawer, I'll have plenty of vertical space but i will also waste vertical space unless I stack spices which would defeat my purpose.

Does this make sense?

So i am hoping to find jars that maximize the space in one of my short top drawers. I'll go take a pic right now to show you guys what I mean.

I will also need to stash utensils, knives, and dishrags in those top drawers, so space is at a premium, though I've got LOTS more space than I had in my old kitchen!!

• thepeppermintleaf
    9 years ago

I like to use canning jars whenever possible, because the lids seal better than regular spice jars and do a better job keeping pantry moths out....but hopefully you don't have a problem with moths in your house!!

• purrus
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My issue with the the smallest ones (canning jars) is that they aren't straight sided. So they aren't the best use of space. It's too bad since I have tons of them.

• juno_barks
    9 years ago

If you end up resorting to a deep drawer (I might need to, also), you could consider having color coded boxes to help you find your spice of choice quickly. I've linked to an ikea box that I'm considering using for this purpose.

Here is a link that might be useful: Variera boxes

• Clarion
    9 years ago

We also have a lot of spices and we used the same company you linked to for ours. Except we used the amber packers. Then we put a shelf all along the backsplash about 4" above the countertop and just deep enough for the jars, and we place them all there. Avery has some cool software so you can print really cool custom labels any way you want, and now you have a beautiful display. Amber (supposedly) blocks alot of the UV and is better for the spices. Mostly we use the 120cc size, but we have a few of the other larger sizes for spics that we use a lot of, and 1 60cc for saffron.

Here is a link that might be useful: Amber Packers

• lascatx
    9 years ago

Since you've seen my spice drawer, that is a 24 inch frameless drawer. I have one for spices and one next to it for utensils. Having my spice drawer meant having a utensil crock on the counter for the other utensils.

Anyway, that drawer holds about 110 jars and that the round ones. They allow me to get my fingers in between the tops. The narrower top on the Victorian jars should also. Mine are 2.25 inches wide while the Victorian are 2 inches. I don't know the width of your drawer, but you would get more of the Victorian in the same space as mine. That's a lot of spice jars. Have you figured out how many you can fit or how many you need?

I know some folks balk at the idea of buying matching jars or having to set them all up, but the ease of use over the years has been well worth it. I also bought a Brother label maker with laminated tape for the tops. It was a good excuse for an upgrade -- and they seem to go on half price sale fairly often. The laminated tape keeps them cleaner than regular labels or paper tape. I've been using these for close to 8 years now and I'll never go back.

I know that drawers are tough to give up, but when you think about how much cabinet or pantry space you free up, it's a lot easier. I would stay with a top drawer if at all possible -- the jars are right there at your fingertips when you need them. I was supposed to have a 4 drawer stack where I would up with a 3, so I looked at adding a roll-out tray inside the top of that middle drawer. I haven't done it, but that could be an option for you in terms of getting some of the organization you might like in the deeper drawers.

• oldbat2be
    9 years ago

Have you considered racks on the insides of upper cabinet doors? With 3.5 " those look to be a good option.

I buy the penzeys glass jars, write the date purchased on the label and replace as needed. I keep refills for key spices in the freezer, again, writing date purchased on the bags. My only point is that I don't buy so much of a spice that it will take me a decade to go through. (Pet peeve with the larger matching jars). Congrats on being almost done!

• Elraes Miller
    9 years ago

I bought 5 sets at WM, Anchor Hocking glass. Did a search and the only ones shown are 4 oz., 3.25 high. But just measured mine and they are 3.25 X 2.5. Plus I am sure the price was $4 for 4. Only sold in the store, but you could take the product number and have someone find them. They are thick glass and a well sealed top. Also square so you can arrange as wanted. I also bought some at the $ store with same quality but have metal screw on lids. These look like little cookie jars which stand upright or on an angle.

Here is the link from WM. Price wise I guess your selection is cheaper and would end up the same adding shipping.

Also, for fun and bigger storage, I ran across using Star Bucks glass coffee bottles and found them half price at the grocery for a dollar per. They look like mini milk bottles. Have metal tops which hang on a strip of magnet under the cabinet. Their width would work laying in your drawer if you need larger storage jars.

Here is a link that might be useful: Anchor Hocking glass spice jars.