Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oldbat2be

Kitchen At Work

oldbat2be
10 years ago

Apple cake anyone? Fresh out of the oven :)

Comments (30)

• magsnj
    10 years ago

YES PLEASE! There should be a rule that if food pics taste as good as they look, you HAVE to give a detailed recepe. :)

• oldbat2be
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for asking, I'd love to pass this on to others. This was a recipe from my best friend's mother, who is Swiss-German... (She also taught me to salt butter on my dark bread :)

I have been making it off and on all my life.

• schoolhouse_gw
    10 years ago

Oh my gosh. Looks delicious.

I just laid an Autumn Apple Crisp recipe out on my counter last night thinking I'd get at it one day this coming week. Thanks for sharing yours.

• Marie Tulin
    10 years ago

How delicious! How refreshing! A buttery, crumbly, sticky place in a kitchen! I thought I was going to see another White Kitchen (like mine). Instead I can imagine the crumbs that sneak into the (slab front) utensil drawer; the unsalted butter that got onto the grout (gray), the apple core that rolled onto the floor (stained oak), and someone's sticky fingerprints on door jam (painted in BM white dove).

I just love when something here reminds us what our kitchens are for: nourishment of body and soul.

the picture makes me feel like I went to church. Thanks.

• rosie
    10 years ago

Thank you very much, 2be. I'd love to try it. I will. My current (only) recipe is ridiculously ornate, i.e., a lot of unnecessary ingredients, and I've been meaning to replace it. What's your favorite apple(s)? I'm heading to the store later.

• arlosmom
    10 years ago

Looks like the perfect fall dessert. I'll buy apples at the grocery tomorrow and make your recipe. Thanks for sharing!!

• taggie
    10 years ago

That looks AMAZING. My mouth is watering!

• tea4all
    10 years ago

My immediate reaction upon seeing the first pic was "Oh recipe please!!"
    So a big thank you oldbat2be for tantalizing our eyes and fulfilling the desire for that recipe! How sweet it will be to try your yummy cake this week. My family thanks you. :)

• kitchendetective
    10 years ago

I have been trying hard to stay far away from desserts for almost twelve weeks. Feeling the resolve being eroded. . .

• Bunny
    10 years ago

oldbat, thanks so much!!! This looks great.

I have a math question. For the cake, 200 grams of flour is 1.75 cup minus 1 Tbs. For the topping, 100 grams of flour is 3/4 cup. Why doesn't the 200 grams for the cake = 1.5 cups? I'm not trying to be annoying. :)

• Mgoblue85
    10 years ago

Yum, yum...that looks great! What kind of apples did you use?

• elphaba_gw
    10 years ago

After my mother died, we have never been able to find my mother's tried and true recipe for apple cake. Her family was German so perhaps your recipe is the same one! When my kitchen becomes a reality (currently it is in partial demolition state), this will be on my list of things I want to try to cook. Thanks so much for posting.

• oldbat2be
    Original Author
    10 years ago

First off -- Please do post what you are cooking as well. Pictures would be a lovely plus; regardless of the setting, the focus is on the food and what you are doing with it.

Oh idabean, I took your post too personally! Noticed that my seam (which irks me) shows only too visibly, remembered I hadn't cleaned the floors or wiped down the cabinets before taking the pictures. I THINK it was a generalization but if not, you were spot on with my usual kitchen chaos :) (No-one can use more pans than I do to prepare anything). I LOVED your last sentence, what a nice thing to say! The kitchen faces east and the beauty of the morning sun continues to amaze me.

Schoolhouse - please share your recipe. I'd love to try other favorite apple recipes!

Rosie, Mgoblue85 - No apples were ever listed, so I just use what I have on hand.

Thanks Arlosmom, hope you try it. Please let me know how you like.

Hi Taggie, thanks! It was right out of the oven and I figured I'd try to take a few pictures while it cooled down. For some reason, I couldn't capture the steam which was wafting from it...

tea4all - hope you get a chance to try it and that it's a hit. It's not ultra sweet but somehow very satisfying.

kitchendetective - 12 weeks? GOOD FOR YOU!! Add a nice long walk or something to your day and perhaps a slice might fit in?

linelle - go by the grams!!!! The translations were my attempt a few years ago to make it easier on myself. Thank you for the pointer, I'll review the measurements next time I make the topping. (Thanks for pointing this out. As someone who used to proof legal advertisements - think VIN numbers - I am always on the lookout for, and appreciate corrections).

elphaba - Your post really made me smile. Please do try it, and let me know. We were in France and my friend was in Switzerland right across the border (I can still recite her phone number. the way I memorized it, in French no less - dix neuf, quarante-et-un, vingt sept et - maybe 31?? ACK I've forgotten!). I remember her mom (who was stunningly beautiful) making cookies, and other recipes, on the table. Measure out the flour, make a hole and drop in the eggs, beat them well, then add other ingredients.... as a child with a huge sweet tooth, I loved it.

The other part I love is that the recipe is one my mom sent me, at my request. Since she passed away a few years ago, it makes me happy to see or pass on any of the recipes she kept. (Seeing her handwriting makes me smile).

Thanks for following and please DO post what your kitchen is up to. Also, I love the idea of a great recipe being passed on. Please do post any of your favorites.

• romy718
    10 years ago

Oldbat, thanks for the recipe. Looks delicious. Wish I had a piece to go with my coffee this morning.

• Marie Tulin
    10 years ago

Hi....yes, my tongue was in cheek so far it looks like I had mumps.....besides, after menopause, I lost my superwoman skills at seeing over many miles into people's kitchens
    No, I was referring to all the pristine kitchens we drool over here , and don't see the mess many of us make when we cook.
    I am with you on spreading the mess for miles and dirtying up an inordinate number of pots and pans.
    Idabean

• williamsem
    10 years ago

Yummy! When can we upgrade to a version of the forum that posts smells?

I'm right there with you making messes. DH says I have a particular talent in that area :-)

• ali80ca
    10 years ago

Oldbat, I can hardly wait to try that! For some reason a new kitchen is encouraging me to look for new recipes to add to my old tried and true. Currently making some squares for my daughter who is away at college, will be nice when I have a countertop to set them on!

• Bunny
    10 years ago

I love everyday, practical math. :) Whenever kids moan, "why do we need to know this stuff?" I think, so you can convert grams to cups, keep track of your expenses, and figure out how many square feet of backsplash tile you need. And the list goes on.

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

Oh, that looks wonderful! How long is briefly? Until tender with fork or not that long...I want to make your apple cake later this week! :)

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

Old Bat - you did it again.
    I am salivating just looking at the cake and thank you for sharing the recipe!

• firstmmo
    10 years ago

Oldbat...absolutely scrumptious looking and I am so jealous. My rental kitchen is so uninspiring I couldn't even begin to bake something that lovely--even during apple season. A very well loved recipe that is for sure!!! The best kind :)

• gwlolo
    10 years ago

Oldbat --> Love how the apples are still chunky. I love apples in cakes when they are not overloaded with cinnamon and sugar. I will definitely be trying these when I have some worthy apples over the winter.

I shared these over on the cooking forum. Hope you don't mind me sharing here as well.

Here's my attempt at recreating Raincoast crisps -->
    Those crisp twice baked crackers with fruits and nuts that sell for mucho $$ in wholefoods. My family likes to eat these with cheese and I wanted to see if I can recreate it.

Made them with hazelnuts, cranberries, rosemary, sesame, flax and a handful of chia. Baked and cooled overnight and ready to slice and put back in the oven.

One recipe makes two half sheet worth of crackers!

Out of oven and cooling on the rack. Crisp and crunchy and really yummy! Plan to serve with a couple of soft cheeses and fig orange preserves I made earlier in summer. This recipe is a keeper!

Here is a link that might be useful: Here is the recipe I used

• michoumonster
    10 years ago

oldbat, that makes me so hungry! i have to try it soon. you can always tell a good recipe by how worn it looks :-) thank you so much!
    gwlolo, thanks for the crispy cracker recipe too. agree, those things cost so much in the grocery for a tiny bag. will have to try it with my soft yogurt cheese.
    hoping to be baking soon and sharing some kaw pics, hardware install is almost done. yay!

• dee850
    10 years ago

Oldbat2be, your apple cake looked so good that I baked one tonight with my son! We halved the recipe and it fit perfectly in an 8" square pan. Of course now that we tasted it, I'm thinking we should have just made the full recipe :) This was my son's first time peeling apples independently (he's 6), and he was so proud of himself. Great cake and great baking experience - doesn't get any better. I'm no photographer and your apple cake photos are far better than mine, so I'll post something else here.

Before tonight's cake, the last thing I baked was this ham and leek quiche, recipe from Smitten Kitchen. It was delicious!

GWlolo, those crackers look wonderful! And I love your backsplash tile.

This post was edited by dee850 on Mon, Oct 21, 13 at 23:35

• oldbat2be
    Original Author
    10 years ago

idabean - Ha!

Thanks williamsem, ali80ca.

linelle - So true. I prefer to make 3 layer cakes, which involves a fair amount of math (since recipes are almost always for two layers) and often think of the same thing.

lavender_lass - I'd say tender with a fork is a good definition. I think of it as coating the apples with the lemon juice and sugar really well; you want them to still keep their shape.

a2gemini - thanks! Let me know if you try it. What are you cooking these days / making in the Vitamix? (I'm not using mine as much lately).

firsthouse_mp, michoumonster - Definitely a well-loved and often used recipe. Hmmm... That's a really good idea for a thread. Someone should start that one...

GWlolo - those look amazing!! Same concept as biscotti, no? I will have to try these, thanks for linking to the recipe. What a gorgeous backdrop you have for posting any pictures :)

dee850 - Yay! So glad you made it with your son. Your quiche sounds delicious, I loved reading the recipe.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Oooooooh my goodness, that looks so fabulously yummy that I can't stand it! I would love to have a bit of that wonderful cake with my coffee. Thanks for posting it OB.

• sherri1058
    10 years ago

The cake is delicious!! I made it last night and I had to restrain myself from having a 2nd large piece. DH did have seconds and I took a large piece over to my 90 yr old neighbour who gobbled it up as well.

I used Northern Spys (spys are for pies) and was too lazy to simmer, just chopped the apples into chunks and put them on the batter. YUM! Thanks for the recipe, it's a keeper.

• suska6184
    10 years ago

oldbat2be, that is definitely on my list to make this weekend. I love the older recipes, thanks for sharing.

Is that a square pan you used, or a larger cake pan? It's hard to tell from the picture.

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

OldBat - you are missing out not using your VM.
    I made sauce for my chili and froze a lot of tomato sauce - both standard and roasted.
    I also used VM to chunk my peaches for my jam.

I will be traveling a bit the next few weeks but hope to sneak a cake in this weekend so DH has goodies to eat!