Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Installing a 36" Range Hod over a 30" Rarnge?

Posted by murphysf (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 24, 12 at 9:51

Hello

I have 42" between my upper cabinets that are above my range.

I am doing some minor kitchen upgrades and want to install a wall mount euro sytle range hood.

Since I have the space (42") I am thinking of installing a 36" hood over my 30" range.

Is this a good idea?

what are the pros and cons of doing this?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Installing a 36" Range Hod over a 30" Rarnge?

It's actually exactly what you should be doing. Part of optimum capture is the hood extending the cooking area by 3" on either side.

o

Only pros. It will give you a larger capture area. A lot of people do in fact make the hood larger than the range.

Also, if you are doing a lot of cooking that generates smoke and grease, make sure that the hood itself has a good capture area, meaning, it's not flat that the smoke would just go around it, you want it to go into a "cavity" and then up and out.

Here are 2 pics. My last house and this one. Both have 36" ranges and 42" hoods.

Photobucket

New house (sorry for the what turned out to be "dreadful" pot on the range)
Photobucket

o

I also upsized my hood. 42" Rangecraft hood over a 36" rangetop. As mentioned, upsizing the hood 6", allowing a 3" overhang on both sides, is the recommended sizing anyway. Also important is the depth of the hood. If you can find a unit 24" deep, do it. If you can do 27", that's even better.

o

I ordered a 36" hood to go over our 30" range. I was over-ruled by SWMBO and the cabinetmaker on aesthetic grounds. Luckily, I ordered the hood locally instead of online. The salesman changed my order with no restocking fee. Unfortunately I ordered the 36" stainless duct cover which fits between the hood and the ceiling online. I now have to see if a local metal shop can re-bend it to fit in a 30" space.

o

I have 36" hood over 30" cooktop. Only way to fly, IMO.

o

I have a 48" over a 36" range :)

Overkill, I know, but it looks cool and the capture is great. As long as you're not giving up precious would-be cabinet space, go for it!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here