Houzz Logo Print
ssshayne

your opinions please - backsplash/floor w/green countertops

SSShayne
12 years ago

We start demo on my kitchen on TUESDAY - here is what we've picked out so far:

Here is a pic of my granite countertops:

http://www.arizonatile.com/VITORIA-REGIA-P718C127.aspx

My cabinets are Kraftmaid in maple, honey spice in a Shaker style.

With some help from you - I went back to tile store and looked at medium gray flooring. Here's what I came up with and Id love your feedback

I brought home this floor porcelain floor tile in Metro Platinum:

http://www.arizonatile.com/METRO-P189C72.aspx

We are thinking (MAYBE) of doing floor in a herringbone pattern - not sure if this will make it too busy or not - but love this floor:

https://www.houzz.com/photos/grant-park-kitchen-contemporary-kitchen-portland-phvw-vp~119378-Park-Kitchen-contemporary-kitchen-portland

with this subway glass tile for backsplash in FOG:

http://www.arizonatile.com/SKYLIGHTS-GLASS-P776.aspx

I went by home depot and put it against the wood door sample and it looked pretty good. Not sure if i want to do WHITE subway porcelain tiles for backsplash and use the fog glass and maybe a bit of russet red for accent......?

Or maybe something really subtle above the stove and sink in various light grays like this:

https://www.houzz.com/photos/portland-remodel-modern-kitchen-portland-phvw-vp~57646-Remodel-modern-kitchen-portland

with something v plain for backsplash everywhere else....

Husband is reluctantly going with me on this - but I think he wants to use beige tile for backsplash and Im now thinking he may be colorblind!

Comments (16)

• sixtyohno
    12 years ago

Hi SSShane, Your choices are similar to mine. We have maple cabs in wheat, and rain forrest green counters. Our floors came with the house and they are cherry. I am obsessing on backsplashes, but we have decided to wait till the counter is installed. Then we can bring home samples and set them up in the kitchen. We are thinking about taking a photo from our travels, printing it on metal, coating it with a protective coating and framing it with tile. Then we can use the same tile for the rest of the backsplash.
    Thanks for your photos. The herringbone floor is fabulous and that photo is just how I want my kitchen to come out. It's very plain and neat and gorgeous.
    Laura

• SSShayne
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh yes, ive been following your thread on your kitchen. Yes, the tile lady at the store told me to wait too on deciding the backsplash. I just want to keep it super simple. The flooring was hard for me - i really wanted a warm color kitchen as most of our house is warm colors - but then the countertops were chosen and now we are going another direction.

Ill keep an eye out to see what you choose - I like your idea - makes it personal - tile can be so cold, lol...... I think your granite has a bit of beige in it - mine doesnt

• enduring
    12 years ago

That floor is beautiful and I've linked it here:

[contemporary kitchen design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2103) by portland interior designer Fig Studio Interior Design

The tiles you've selected are great simple colors.

• dianalo
    12 years ago

Your Victoria Regia looks exactly like the Verde Fantastico we fell in love with. Have you picked a specific slab of it yet? It varies a lot from different suppliers. I have seen it with cream in it as well and some with more black accents. The olive green to teal green colors with orange/brown and white seems to be the base of it all.

I am not sure I am digging the gray bs or flooring choices with it that you posted. I do think it would fabulous with the stained cab choice you made.

The kiwi color seems to work better with it out of the bs tiles you picked, but I'd wait on the bs until you have it in place. The fog color seems a little too pure blue.

The floor is tougher because that needs to be done first.

• dianalo
    12 years ago

Your choices:

With Kiwi

With Khaki or Moss

• SSShayne
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey - thanks for posting my pics!!! I didnt choose KIWI or any color other than gray for the backsplash. The fog is a bluish gray.....but more gray than blue.

I originally wanted a tanish color floor - but it just wasnt working for me. It wasnt until someone here said to go for more cooler tones bc the granite was cool - that I went with gray and it seemed more subdued.

Im worried - i dont want the floor or bs to compete with the granite - and make for a TOO BUSY kitchen - ive seen pics of kitchens like that, and while yes they coordinate - its just too much.

And not sure about doing too much green either......Tho yes, it does work with the granite - but just too much of one color for me.

Tho i have to say......after all that - that you have me rethinking my gray floors..... I originally wanted what we have in there now - mexican tiles - large deep orangy-red - but was steered away from it......

oh god - this is so hard!

• eandhl
    12 years ago

I love the moss green BS tile with your magnificent stone! How would it look with the first floor tile?

• dianalo
    12 years ago

Once mocking it up, I see your Fog more with the counter than your Platinum. I still like the green/blue Kiwi for the bs best followed by the Khaki. The Fog seems a little too perky/powdery IMHO. The Kiwi seems more conventional and the Khaki is more edgy. I think the Kiwi will highlight the yellow olive tones more. The Khaki will make you notice the blue-teal shades.
    I tend to go with cool tones, so for me to have picked the floor choice in a more tan/orange is a departure for me. My kitchen is white/gray/black/lavender/chrome, so you can see where my color scheme heads...
    I like the "Madrid Brown" from your website of the Platinum because it plays up the orange of the cabs and the small parts of it in your stone. I did not want the same color as your cabs though because that could be dark and monotone when paired too closely.
    I'd definitely get your stone installed before picking the bs and then pick your paint color last.

• User
    12 years ago

Your floor choices need to be darker. The light grey is too light and too blue. You need darker and more warm with green or even red undertones.

Like this Daltile Metal Effects in Brilliant Bronze

{{!gwi}}

Or the Shimmering Copper

{{!gwi}}

The metallic shine in those tiles is fab and keeps it from feeling too dark. It ties right in with your granite and wood colors.

• SSShayne
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Awesome choices you guys - you arent helping me decide - just giving me more ideas - and thats good - i want to check out all my options

yea - maybe the fog is too powdery......hmmm

And I did pick out my slabs already - they look alot like the pic - a bit darker even, hardly any white..... and the deep red pops....

I like the coppery metalic! Ill be back at the tile store to check this out. Ive got one door from my cabinet and they have a sample of my counter....

thanks guys - keep em coming!

• SSShayne
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Awesome choices you guys - you arent helping me decide - just giving me more ideas - and thats good - i want to check out all my options

yea - maybe the fog is too powdery......hmmm

And I did pick out my slabs already - they look alot like the pic - a bit darker even, hardly any white..... and the deep red pops....

I like the coppery metalic! Ill be back at the tile store to check this out. Ive got one door from my cabinet and they have a sample of my counter....

thanks guys - keep em coming!

• SSShayne
    Original Author
    12 years ago

my husband loves the Copper for the flooring!! So do I -
    what would you suggest for Backsplash??

The FOG is a lot darker and more gray than it appears in the above photo in real life - tho it does have a slight bluish shade.....

• SSShayne
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Copper Flooring Tile
    Well - Home Depot doesnt carry this INstore -online only - so you cant look at it. Found something similar at Lowes....we just love it.

have to figure bs - but hoping ill figure that out soon.....

• carolml
    12 years ago

Hi,
    Your granite looks very similar to one I have chosen. Here, it is called Green Peace. Some suppliers call it a quartzite and others a granite. Do you know any details about yours. It is very beautiful.
    Carol

• SSShayne
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks! We fell in love with it at first site! We also got it "leathered" - meaning it is not polished, but has a texurized look. We went down to the city to pick out the slabs a couple weeks ago. It was incredible to see. Here is a link with the info. It is granite by the way:

http://www.arizonatile.com/VITORIA-REGIA-P718C127.aspx

• SSShayne
    Original Author
    12 years ago

going with the copper color porcelain tile - and most likely waiting to do backsplash after counters are in - have no idea what to chose...

thanks for all the great ideas!!