Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
space between sink and dishwasher

Posted by hilltophomeowner (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 8, 13 at 9:47

Will I regret having a 15-inch cabinet between the sink cabinet and the dishwasher ( on the left of the sink)? This will provide more efficient unloading of dishes.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: space between sink and dishwasher

But will it be comfortable to use the DW ( loading ,unloading) having to take another step to the left? I did a dry run my reach to the lower rack is approx. 10 in. Into the Dw. This is just swiveling and leaning down for lower rack. But if you place your feet further apart, you can just transfer weight back and forth.
I would suggest a dry run - or mock up to see if it would work for you.

o

I would prefer more efficient LOADing of dishes, so I'd want the dishwasher right next to the sink. I would not want to drip water across that 15-inch expanse between the sink and the dishwasher.

o

In my preliminary design there is a skinny cabinet between my sink and dishwasher and I have been thinking there is something wrong with that. It just seems like it would be just fine having no cabinet there. Then I can add that 15 inches to the end of the cabinet run where it would be more useful. Thanks for bringing this up.

o

My DW is on one leg of a U, with the sink at the closed end. There is a trash pullout between the DW and the corner (which is an angled cabinet), so it's over 2 feet from the DW to the sink. It's not a problem at all. We don't pre-wash our dishes, so most go directly from the table to the DW. Sometimes we do rinse a dish or scrape into the GD at the sink, but I haven't found the dripping issue that jellytoast mentioned to be a big problem - my kitchen floor is tile, so a few drops of water won't harm it.

I realize it's an unpopular configuration on GW, but it works really well for us, especially for unloading dishes. I couldn't have put the DW next to the sink without giving up a lot of efficient and valuable storage space.

o

Would that 15" cab be for trash? I have a 15" pull out trash cab b/w the sink and DW, and since my DW is a raised one, I can easily use the DW even when the trash is open. But with a normal DW it may not work so well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here