Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
westtoeast

Help me achieve this look!

westtoeast
12 years ago

I am trying to recreate this Island (or something similar)in my kitchen remodel. Can anyone tell me what size you think it is? I have space for a 72" x 56" island...can I pull it off?

I was thinking of 24" base cabinets on the backside of the Island (work side), with a good size overhang for either 4 or 5 stools on the seating side, plus room for the legs.

FWIW, we are planning on stools without backs, like these.

Thanks in advance!

{{!gwi}}

Comments (18)

• forensicmom
    12 years ago

No clue, but I would take it to a kitchen professional and they can do it for you. They can probably do it at Home Depot/Lowes or wherever else you are planning to buy the cabinets

• Fori
    12 years ago

Phew! I started off thinking NOOOOOOO don't put shelves with FEET on a wall, but you're after the island which is really quite nice.

I don't see why you couldn't do it. It looks like it has serious support under the table part, maybe just a painted apron or maybe a whole underlayment. In a way I think that makes it easier because you don't have to support the whole darn slab of stone with feet and hidden brackets.

Definitely do a mockup with boxes or existing cabinets plus table or whatever you can.

Are you DIY or do you have a cabinet person or what? I don't think it's complicated once you figure out the dimensions that fit

• remodelfla
    12 years ago

I wouldn't be surprised if there were hidden brackets under the table... it's a huge slab. But it can't be seen because of the apron. Even with an underlayment; I would think there would have to be something supporting the weight in the middle. I think the island is gorgeous!

• chiefneil
    12 years ago

Yes the apron looks much too thin to support the weight of the stone. It's probably rodded and/or has hidden brackets for additional support. Maybe there's some cross-bracing underneath as well. You'll want to show the design to your fabricator before finalizing plans.

• westtoeast
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Funny, I was so focused on the island that I didn't even realize those dish racks had feet! No...I am not after that look ;-).
    I do have a KD, I am actually meeting with her again on Tuesday, specifically to go over Island design.

We had allotted at 56" deep island (actually 53" with a 1.5" over hang on each side), but I guess it will actually be 54.5". That inckudes 24" base cab + 24" seating for seating on island sides) + 3.5" leg and 1.5" overhang.

The work side of the island will have 3" panels on either side, a stack of 18" drawers, an 18" recycling pullout, and 27" MW/drawer.

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

That's a nice island! No idea how to recreate it, but it's going to look wonderful, in your kitchen :)

• GreenDesigns
    12 years ago

Be VERY sure that you can actually reach to clean an island that wide! It's on the border of being too wide for someone with short arms. Mock it up before you decide.

• westtoeast
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That's a good point, about the cleaning Greendesigns.

Can I get away with less than 24" per person for seating if I am using smaller, backless stools like the ones pictured above? We are all fairly small/thin in our family, but I know my kids (2, 5, 7) will be big before I know it!

• shanghaimom
    12 years ago

Hi westtoeast,

I got your PM but GW doesn't allow a reply based on your settings.

Our island is 52"x 66" and it looks different than in my "finished" thread. We now have four stools which fit comfortably. (Two in front, two on the sides.) The stools in those photos were temps that I never did like!

This sized island is EASY to reach across and clean, but I think it is substantially smaller than the one pictured above. (?) The 52" was dictated by the max size slab our Zodiaq quartz came in--the original plan was wider, but I didn't want a seam in the island and didn't want to change the counter top material.

Thanks so much for the kitchen compliments!!

• shanghaimom
    12 years ago

Oops, you asked about the Bertazzoni, too - lurrrrrve my Berta.

• westtoeast
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks so much, Shanghai mom. I will have check my settings. I am relatively new around here (at least to posting), so I still have to figure some things out.

I am happy to hear that you don't have trouble cleaning your island. And if you have 4 seats around the counter, then I probably don't need to go any deeper than 52". I do have to go a little longer, for storage purposes.

I don't suppose you have any photos of your island with the new stools or from another angle? I would love to see how you laid out the storage area (work side of the Island). Do you just have a panel on the other side of your M/W?

Also glad to hear that you love your Berta! We only have space for the 30" model, but I am excited about it!

• shanghaimom
    12 years ago

West, here you go! New stools are super basic and sort of disappear which is what I wanted. They all tuck under easily. I'll also throw in a photo of FOUR of the old stools. They fit, but *barely*. It felt crowded.

The last pic shows the working side. The two drawers on the left are dummies because that's where the microwave is. The two big drawers in the middle are my favorite storage in the entire kitchen. I wish I'd had one of those big spaces to work with with long runs of wide drawers. We just don't have the space!

• westtoeast
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Those stools look great, Shanghai mom! Thanks so much for posting these, I agree, I like the way they disappear.
    What are the measurements of your drawer stacks? I am trying to work my storage set up out, and need to get a M/W in there too.

• westtoeast
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I noticed you changed your pendant lights out too! I love how the new ones compliment your back splash! Gorgeous.

• shanghaimom
    12 years ago

The drawers are 16", 27", 16" plus outside edges and in-between trim. The overall (outside) depth of the cabinet (which is the WIDTH of the microwave cabinet, of course) is 25. So we had to accommodate the width of the micro plus have enough space for stools in that overall 52" of counter top space, allowing for the chunkiness of the legs.

And yes, I switched out my pendants to something with less glare. Now we actually turn them on--couldn't stand the clear glass even though I loved the look.

HTH!!

• westtoeast
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you Shanghai!

• ds945
    12 years ago

Shanghai Mom,
    I love the pendants. What's their name / maker? Thanks so much.

• shanghaimom
    12 years ago

ds945,

Pendants are "Regatta" from Currey and Company. They're capiz shells, wired and soldered together.